• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ponting would have to not make a fifty for the series to have his spot under threat, especially having just been our best batsman in the previous series against India (maybe Watson, pretty close though).

More I think about it, he probably wouldn't be stripped of the captaincy even if we lost with the World Cup just around the corner. Only way that anything will change in the hierarchy is if he jumps.

centurymaker

International Captain
Meh I would say luck has a lot to do with it. Keeps on finding the fielders in the last 2 years even if he is batting well.
Kinda true but that has happened to all cricketers I suppose.
Struggling against bouncers is the main reason imo, which shows that his reflexes have slowed down.

tombarlow123

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yeah i was proper unlucky when i used to play. I kept edging it behind me and, heaven forbid, it'd always go straight to a fielder... :confused1

TumTum

Banned
I am not talking about edging behind. Like hitting cracking pull-shots that you initially think are going to the boundary but are caught. Or insane catches at short-leg of a quick bowler.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Ponting should have just hit the ball on the ground..

During the First Test we should have a count on how many times a commentator says when a spin bowler is bowling/or they think a spinner should come on... "Shane Warne used to always like bowling at the GABBA due to the extra bounce he got".

I'm tipping about 12 times (the number will be higher if Warne is part of the commentary team).

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not saying that Ponting doesn't more or less deserve to go out on his terms, but he ought to consider batting at #6 and giving up the captaincy some time soon. No doubt he is still in the best 6 batters in Australia, but probably so is Adam Gilchrist. RTP can still absolutely be an on-field leader.

Succession planning folks, not just the next series.....

Spark

Global Moderator
I have no problems with Ponting at 3 for the time being.

Mind you that could change in two tests. It all depends on how the batsmen either side of him fare (Watson, Katich and Clarke), as really they are the only ones remotely capable of stepping into that role (and I'd hesitate putting Katich in there due to his age)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I have no problems with Ponting at 3 for the time being.

Mind you that could change in two tests. It all depends on how the batsmen either side of him fare (Watson, Katich and Clarke), as really they are the only ones remotely capable of stepping into that role (and I'd hesitate putting Katich in there due to his age)
Clarke averages 19 at 4 compared to his average of 56 at 5. I don't have too many problems with him being given another run at 4 as he is now but calls for him to bat 3 definitely lack sound logic IMO.

Inevitable post from Top_Cat said:
Every batsman should be able to bat in every position at Test level etc etc
Well then so should whoever we bring in. Why mess with a good thing?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ponting would have to not make a fifty for the series to have his spot under threat, especially having just been our best batsman in the previous series against India (maybe Watson, pretty close though).

More I think about it, he probably wouldn't be stripped of the captaincy even if we lost with the World Cup just around the corner. Only way that anything will change in the hierarchy is if he jumps.
Yeah the WC being around the corner really restricts the ability to get rid of Ricky if he loses.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke averages 19 at 4 compared to his average of 56 at 5. I don't have too many problems with him being given another run at 4 as he is now but calls for him to bat 3 definitely lack sound logic IMO.
Any more than saying Ricky should be moved? That just adds to my point, that moving Ricky away from 3 is a unwise move because of the lack of suitable replacements, due to what's happened in the last 6 months.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Any more than saying Ricky should be moved? That just adds to my point, that moving Ricky away from 3 is a unwise move because of the lack of suitable replacements, due to what's happened in the last 6 months.
Usman could easily bat at 3 with Ponting sliding down

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah, if Usman or anyone else debuts, they'll bat six, in keeping with the tradition of blooding all middle order newcomers there.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Clarke at 3 is daft. He's a number 5, and a bloody good one.

Ferguson scoring runs at the right time, might snag himself a debut if North stuffs up in his remaining FC opportunities before the first test. Not the best option, but there you go.

EDIT: And after I type that, I catch upon today's scores from Adelaide. North a certain starter now you'd think. His jammy timing of toning up just when it looks like he might be in serious trouble continues...

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Hussey is the one who's really under pressure now IMO. Hasn't made a big score in quite a long time now.

FTR Clarke should be 4. Ponting should stay 3. I don't know why people are calling him to be moved now when he's just had arguably his best series with the bat in India.

Flem274*

123/5
Ponting has the fear factor about him too. Get an opener out early and Ricky Mother****ing Ponting walks in.

Chuck him at six and at 10/1 it's Sick Noob walking in to face the music. Or Clarke.

Kaitch
Twattson
Ponting
Clarke
Khawaja/Hussey
North
Haddin/Paine
Hauritz
Johnson
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

Is the team I would pick for the first test.

Last edited: