• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at the Gabba

Ruckus

International Captain
Such a fantastic exhibition of Ashes cricket today. Really enjoyed it.

It's good to see that Siddle proved me and countless others wrong today. He changed from his normal gash line and started pitching it up which was the perfect length

Tbh I don't think Siddle proved anyone wrong today. We all know he capable of these awesome spells, but it's a matter of performing like that consistently. I think he will only prove us wrong if he can bowl well throughout the entire series (assuming he has a chance to do so).

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbh I don't think Siddle proved anyone wrong today. We all know he capable of these awesome spells, but it's a matter of performing like that consistently. I think he will only prove us wrong if he can bowl well throughout the entire series (assuming he has a chance to do so).
I would have thought he proved me and the other "haters" right by doing what we've so often begged for him to do.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, when you're dealing with such good bowlers in the debate, one admittedly awesome spell doesn't prove you wrong - it's not like Bollinger hasn't had plenty of those himself. Siddle is a properly good Test bowler and I mentioned before the match that he was being a little under-rated here, and as such he'll run through sides on his day and generally bowl well when he plays, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's better than three other properly good bowlers or will, on average, add more by being in the team than Bollinger.

As I said earlier, it's not that Siddle was playing which bothered me (I'd have not said a word if he replaced Hilfenhaus or Doherty for example) - it's that Bollinger, a man I believe to be Australia's best bowler, was left out.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
I would have thought he proved me and the other "haters" right by doing what we've so often begged for him to do.
Perhaps, but it's not like this is the only time Siddle has produced good spells. This one would have to be his finest, but nonetheless the point remains; he has to do this consistenly imo to be a better bowler than Bollinger (which is what the original debate was about I think).

^Everything Prince_EWS said above.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, true. He didn't prove that he was better than Bollinger but he definitely proved that he could pitch it up and take wickets on a pitch where a full length is required. :thumbsup:

We can pick the bone over his selection all we like but I'd rather just appreciate an awesome spell of bowling from one of the world's best bowlers. It's not like the selectors picked Chris Duval.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
England's batsman are so fallable to full deliveries that nip a little bit either way. Someone like Johnson is so easily negotiated by them because they love it back of a length.

91Jmay

International Coach
No idea what Englands bowlers where doing whilst Siddle decimated the batsmen. It can't have been watching because they all reverted to that back of a length ****e that they love to bowl. Jimmy looked really poor.

Can't see us even being close in this one. Very dissapointing so far.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I really do think Hilf is on borrowed time. Given Johnson is the selectors' proverbial jizz tissue and Siddle's newfound safety in the side, the England second innings seems like The Hilf's last chance to ward off the hypothetical brilliance of Dougeh.

It doesn't help that he's overly swing-dependent (which we've seen is pad fodder when not swinging), which may not be much use beyond Brisbane. Would love to be proven wrong, mind - and in a perfect world I'd drop Midge for Dougeh in a heartbeat regardless.

Dougeh.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Well half of them play with stiff front legs and don't get nearly a big enough stride. Siddle was bowling some useful deliveries, but their strides were totally non-existent. Only Pietersen in that team can sometimes negotiate these deliveries, because of his height and reach, the rest of the top order can't deal with full balls.