• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* First Test at Swalec Stadium, Cardiff

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, agree with the above, if we reviewed every dismissal ever and removed batsman error from the bowlers tallies, they'd all average about 100

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Nonsense. For evidence I need look no further than my own cricketing exploits. With the bat, it requires an extraordinarily good ball to dismiss me. With the ball, my terrific bowling average is the result of consistent excellence rather than mere luck.

A little more seriously, WRT today's play, I just don't think that the Aussie attack had any menace. And England threw it away. I realise that many wickets are the result of batsman error but today they were largely, to borrow a tennis term, unforced errors. That's why today was so disappointing.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, won't disagree that it could and maybe should have been better. It's frustrating to see so many starts and no hundreds.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hilfenhaus beat the edge several times and Siddle was always a threat with his bounce and movement, so the wickets they took courtesy of nothing shots is either a result of the pressure they built with the good deliveries or the bowling gods balancing the karma out, depending on one's viewpoint.

I'd say the score favours yer crims slightly with 7 down. Had Fred and/or Prior been still in it could have been us with noses in front. 400 would be nice from here, but think 375 is more realistic.

Nightwatchman for #8 tho? Do one. Just no.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haha, did you hear Botham sarcastically suggesting that maybe they just decided Jimmeh deserved a promotion up the order?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilfenhaus beat the edge several times and Siddle was always a threat with his bounce and movement, so the wickets they took courtesy of nothing shots is either a result of the pressure they built with the good deliveries or the bowling gods balancing the karma out, depending on one's viewpoint.
I think you're being unnecessarily and uncharacteristically generous to the quality of bowling on offer from our criminally-challenged cousins.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It was crazy. I swear though that Strauss must tell whoever does the commentary rotas exactly when he's going to do this sort of thing. Botham always seems to be in the box when these things happen, and I think it's hilarious listening to his reactions.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was crazy. I swear though that Strauss must tell whoever does the commentary rotas exactly when he's going to do this sort of thing. Botham always seems to be in the box when these things happen, and I think it's hilarious listening to his reactions.
Well on TMS they were saying what a good idea the Nightwatchman was.

For once, I can say, I agree with Botham:blink:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just watched the ball that got rid of Prior again, thought it was a beauty myself

grecian, why the hell did they think it was a good idea? What was their reasoning?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think you're being unnecessarily and uncharacteristically generous to the quality of bowling on offer from our criminally-challenged cousins.
Possibly. To redress this I'll say I think Hauritz is a hack (KP should be handed the pearl handled revolver and told to do "the decent thing", having so disgraced himself by getting out to him) & Johnson disappointing for the most part. Swung second new pill, but outbowled by both his junior partners in the seam up dept IMHO.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I am wary of commenting much on Johnson yet, but it was certainly pleasing to see him have a relatively quiet day. Didn't disgrace himself though, and as I said, I personally thought it was a belter that removed Strauss.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just watched the ball that got rid of Prior again, thought it was a beauty myself

grecian, why the hell did they think it was a good idea? What was their reasoning?
Just because Broads a jolly good bat, I think. One of them was Blofeld and I think he was embarrassed he'd said it was Broad coming out to bat instead of Anderson and had to be corrected by the crim in the box with him.

Really wish they'd ditch the toffee-nosed ****, TBH.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I am wary of commenting much on Johnson yet, but it was certainly pleasing to see him have a relatively quiet day. Didn't disgrace himself though, and as I said, I personally thought it was a belter that removed Strauss.
Few diamonds in the slag, yes, but not the constant threat Siddle was and lacked Hilfenhaus's accuracy and swing.

Skipper might be mildly disappointed with the way he played the bouncer that got him too. Looked to be caught in two minds and was too late pulling out of shot, good nut or not.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, tbf I only saw Johnson bowl on the highlights so didn't see as much as you did. Kind of expect him to get better as the series goes on though.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hilfenhaus was the best bowler on display. He gets swing at decent pace.

Siddle: the odd inswinger, decent pace, bustling etc but rarely threatening.

Johnson: can't see what all the hype is about. Hardly any lateral movement, and the much-vaunted extreme pace was absent.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-hauritz: didn't embarrass himself, but KP's attempt to talk him up as a Test bowler was as ridiculous as his attempt to justify his own kamikaze sweep shot.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not a big fan of the phonics, but Pick a part that's new a decent choice of tune for the soundtrack to this test IMO

Highlights finished, ah I hate that this match started on a Wednesday, still two more days before I can watch a full day and apparently rain is due at the weekend :cry: