• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

ripper868

International Coach
Just watched the replay. It was good of us to give up about 120 runs in dropped catches.

Decent nut by Starc too. Although the dismissal is less about him and more about the journey Stokes went on playing a non-results orientated shot.
I was entertained tbf, so it was, in actuality, saving the game, if not himself.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I thought Australia continuing to pick Warner was baffling but picking Anderson after the way he's performed this series is worse.

He still has less wickets this series than Tongue... despite bowling 79 more overs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There’s a definite pecking order in both squads that results in both not making changes irrespective of the logic for doing so

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think most teams wud prefer having to carry an opener who at least bats an hour and gets to 20s and 30s than carry a new ball bowler who can't get wickets and a spinner who can't bowl.

halba

International 12th Man
bad from australia. david warner continues to be poor.

Australia to fall short of 281 imho, by atleast 50 runs or so, pitch is too difficult to bat on with the conditions.

Anthony Clayden

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Australia have the best conditions, England with possible no full time spinner, carrying out of form Anderson, Wood down on speed, with 4 out of the top 10 ICC batting and an inform Marsh, having only lost Warner for his now normal score. One day to grind and bury England....

Best opportunity to win an Ashes away series.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Australia have the best conditions, England with possible no full time spinner, carrying out of form Anderson, Wood down on speed, with 4 out of the top 10 ICC batting and an inform Marsh, having only lost Warner for his now normal score. One day to grind and bury England....

we can only hope. butngoing bybthis series.... root takes a couple of unlikely wickets. smith looks great then cops a miracle ball or throws it away, labu doesnt have his usual few chances dropped, head struggles against slow bouncers, and the rest conspire to collapse around mitch, if mitch manages to notbget out, and suddenly the 1st innings is even stevens and we start again.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There’s a definite pecking order in both squads that results in both not making changes irrespective of the logic for doing so
Someone probably already posted the Simpsons meme where Andrew McDonald is scared of Candice Warner.

Worth a giggle

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Australia continuing to pick Warner was baffling but picking Anderson after the way he's performed this series is worse.

He still has less wickets this series than Tongue... despite bowling 79 more overs.
Nah I can't agree with this re Jimmy and got no opinion really with Warner.

I'm not here to gloss over his shortcomings in this series.....he's been bog ordinary and we've been carrying him. But it's 3.5 **** tests and he's y'know.......Jimmy Anderson. He's been as good as ever this year so are you really dropping a bloke of that calibre after a short poor run? The decision has to be based around the feeling if it's poor form or he's done.......im gonna trust the guys that are talking to him and witnessing his prep work to make that call. For now anyway if he's getting picked and he wants to play i won't have an issue with him in the side.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
we can only hope. butngoing bybthis series.... root takes a couple of unlikely wickets. smith looks great then cops a miracle ball or throws it away, labu doesnt have his usual few chances dropped, head struggles against slow bouncers, and the rest conspire to collapse around mitch, if mitch manages to notbget out, and suddenly the 1st innings is even stevens and we start again.
I'm fully expecting them to throw it away. It seems too much to expect this line up to fire and get the 150+ lead they should be capable of getting.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Still a distance to grab the top spot from Caddick for an English series, I have faith in Anderson tho
Man I remember Caddick’s first series in 93 and iirc his first Aus wicket was TOTAB caught and bowled too edging a pull shot in the second dig of the first test. He actually bowled pretty well that game but got no reward, then went wicketless in the famous “Waugh Fails” Lord’s test next up.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Man I remember Caddick’s first series in 93 and iirc his first Aus wicket was TOTAB caught and bowled too edging a pull shot in the second dig of the first test. He actually bowled pretty well that game but got no reward, then went wicketless in the famous “Waugh Fails” Lord’s test next up.
I remember thinking Illott and McCague might have decent test careers.

Molehill

International Captain

Got to be honest, think I agree with this. Yesterday was pretty poor cricket all round. Aussies dropped loads but England kept on giving them opportunities. But it all looks set up now for the Aussies to get 450. Probably a reverse of last week with no weather coming to the aid of England (not that a draw helps anyway).

Still no idea why England didn't pick Tongue and Robinson ahead of Broad and Anderson. They were just sentimental selections, not one based on form.

Today could be the day that Burgey gets to stick his fork in it (whatever 'it' is).

PS I'm playing golf.....