• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test (The Oval, London) 27-31 July

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Australia in 2027 first test team

3. Marnus Labuschagne
4. Steve Smith (Still think he will go on for 4 more years)
5. Travis Head
6. Cameron Green
7. Alex Carey
8. Pat Cummins
9. Todd Murphy

Australia are going to have a problem..... Who is coming through
Cameron Bancroft
M. Harris
L. Moris
Richardson
Will pucovski
Aaron hardie
Jason sangra
Will Sutherland
Aston younger brother wes

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting stat I just read was that Australia actually hit more boundaries in the series than England. But that was down to the field placings, by the 3rd Test England realised you could go at 5 an over by just taking the easy singles that were on offer.
The first thing every batsman worries about is getting off the mark but all you needed to do was get bat on ball

I wish that I had a $ for every single we gave away & find it really hard to believe that McGrath would have put up with it

social

None of the young seamers are getting a look in. How do we actually know if they're any good? At least the likes of Potts and Tongue have played some Tests now.
That happens when the incumbents have taken hundreds of test wickets

Richardson, Morris & Spencer Johnson have far more talent than Tongue & Potts

Their issue is fitness not talent

Molehill

International Captain
The first thing every batsman worries about is getting off the mark but all you needed to do was get bat on ball

I wish that I had a $ for every single we gave away & find it really hard to believe that McGrath would have put up with it
That's because he didn't set fields for his bad balls. That little nudge to point from Duckett and Crawley for a single would've done my head in if I was an Aussie.

the big bambino

International Captain
I'm very much all there - thanks for asking mate 🤝

Just because Archer has been injured for a good while doesn't mean we should discount his absence. The same with Wood.

As for Leach - he was a really big miss. He's comfortably our best spinner.

Stokes is only 32, the same age as Hazlewood and younger than Mitch Starc, so he's hardly old for a bowler.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. But my post was in response to the idea that Aus didn't win the series because Lyon was injured but our injuries were completely ignored.

On reflection I shouldn't have responded to the original post as it was obviously a wind up by a new poster.
Both sides have had injury problems but Archer is different imo. His injury problems have been compared to Pucovski (by PEWS) in terms their potential availability. Its almost got to a stage where neither side could claim the services of either. You get the best out of Wood playing him intermittently which suits his fitness record.

Lyon was a bad loss for us and Haze hasn't been at his best. You can barter and banter on which team was most effected but both had reasons for regret. I think England got better output from replacements like Tongue, Woakes and Moeen though, than we did from say, Murphy. And of course we never ventured to try Neser or Abbott.

Molehill

International Captain
That happens when the incumbents have taken hundreds of test wickets

Richardson, Morris & Spencer Johnson have far more talent than Tongue & Potts

Their issue is fitness not talent
Yes, if only England had had quicks who had taken hundreds of wickets filling up the spots.

Johnson is nearly 28 and has played 4 FC Matches. Morris has taken 63 FC wickets in 19 matches. Richardson seems somewhat injury prone. Is that really what you're counting on?

social

It was ****ing annoying.

Would really **** you as a bowler too.
And it’s why I believe we need a clean out at the top

Smith should have known that it was wrong but he lives in a bubble

Ponting & Taylor were there and hammered the tactics but were ignored

McDonald has to go at the very least

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Because I do Care about the ashes a lot they most important in test cricket In terms of history and players.

Doesn't mean we can't have our own Tournaments/Cycles we prefer..

Ashes and WTC both very important in different ways.

I wanted Australian to win both but it's not end of world mate Australian still had great tour Success.

I just always been World Cup man and that's for all sports Football, cricket Rugby ect ...

Ashes and WTC/ World Cups are all Amazing In different ways Doesn't really need to be order. None is really worse or better which it's only that prefer or like the Most as a fan.

For me it's World Cups and than the rest..

Also not crying just Telling facts..
As England currently hold both ODI World Cups, you'd have to agree that we're the best side in the world then.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
The umpires made numerous strange decisions during the series that didn't even relate to dismissals.

1. Ollie Pope's injury - England were told if he didn't field, we'd have to field with 10 men. So out Pope went and inevitably made his injury worse.

2. The bowling of spinners at OT. Every commentatotor on both radio and TV was surprised at this, saying that it had been darker at other times. The Aussie batsmen had not even made any mention of the light.

3. The ball change at the Oval. Yes the ball had to be changed but the replacement ball was obviously significantly newer than the one it replaced.

4. Losing a review for the non Stokes catch at the Oval.

We all know the standard of umpiring on dismissals has been poor - God knows how many decisions were overturned this series.

But you'd expect even Wilson and Co to get the decisions I've referred to correct. They weren't in the heat of battle with marginal decisions to be made in a split second and yet they still got them wrong.

mackembhoy

International Debutant

"The first ball of the 61st over, delivered by James Pattinson, was a full toss which moved drastically on its way through to Tim Paine. The ball swung 6.43 degrees, over two degrees more than any other ball has moved in the air all Test match, and his first two overs with the ‘new’ ball contained seven of the eight balls with most swing in the Australian innings so far."

I was dead on.
I just glanced at that headline and was a bit confused as to "Ball Change Aids"

Thought that was a tad inflammatory from Wisden