• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Spark

Global Moderator
Langer is pathetic. What coaching credentials does he have? The techniques of both Ponting and Clarke have regressed since his appointment
This is a fair point.

What happened to the soft-hands Clarke? There were flashes of his best today but we've needed far more than flashes far earlier.

howardj

International Coach
I don't buy that, no matter how hard you guys try to convince me.
Fair enough, difference of opinion.

But man, nearly everyone on here to a man, was shouting from the rooftops about Hauritiz and North once the Gabba team was picked.

To be down a spinner (for the whole series) and a number six (for the first two Tests) is a pretty big indictment on the panel.

These guys are meant to be experts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still find it amazing that England have pretty much picked their best XI every single time (morgan-collingwood the only one in the air) while we've gone into every single match with at least 2 players who should not be there.
I didn't think they'd picked their best XI going into Brisbane and Adelaide, and I still don't.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

This isn't junior cricket where the kids are learning their trade, these guys all know how to play.
Yeah exactly, and therefore they're at the point in which the head honchos need to be responsible for bringing out the best from our players - Be it particular training methods, plans or the playing environment.

howardj

International Coach
Langer is pathetic. What coaching credentials does he have? The techniques of both Ponting and Clarke have regressed since his appointment
Langer is a 'yes man', a cheerleader, and a brown nose.

And his batting coaching sucks too. :laugh:

TumTum

Banned
Fair enough, difference of opinion.

But man, nearly everyone on here to a man, was shouting from the rooftops about Hauritiz and North once the Gabba team was picked.

To be down a spinner (for the whole series) and a number six (for the first two Tests) is a pretty big indictment on the panel.

These guys are meant to be experts.
North had done well in the last Ashes, so selectors were within their right to give him another chance (and so did most of us here tbh, for the first 2 Tests anyway). Hauritz we all wanted to see dropped, and he was.

Spark

Global Moderator
Flashes have often been the problem from him, actually. :ph34r:
Haha played.

I want the old Clarke back though. Personally for me that's been the biggest disappointment of the series.

Hauritz a few people wanted to see dropped... but not for Doherty. God no.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
North had done well in the last Ashes, so selectors were within their right to give him another chance (and so did most of us here tbh, for the first 2 Tests anyway). Hauritz we all wanted to see dropped, and he was.
I, and others on here, vigorously disagreed with both.

And were proven correct.

Hauritz has a better average in AUstralia than what Swan has in Australia.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
most of us had had enough of North by India and a few by NZ actually. Pretty much no-one wanted him in for the first test but we just accepted it would happen cause of that ton. north definitely did not deserve to get as many games as he did

Meanwhile only fools wanted Hauritz dropped.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain

This isn't junior cricket where the kids are learning their trade, these guys all know how to play.
whatever job you have, you're ALWAYS learning your craft.
infact, at the top level, the amount of preparation is basically the difrerence between the winner and loser. Everyone at this level basically has talent, its those who do the extra yards that get the advantage. See Tendulkar. Meticulous preparation, that's why he's been able to stay at the top for so long. See Hayden- always had all the talent in the world, rubbish at the start, then got very serious/ruthless and EXCELLED.

Its not like these guys can just rock up and play. If you're facing a bloody good side, it doesnt matter how much cricket you've played, you have to be in the right mindset.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still find it amazing that England have pretty much picked their best XI every single time (morgan-collingwood the only one in the air) while we've gone into every single match with at least 2 players who should not be there.
Awta

Some of the selections by Australia have been baffling. If Hauritz was to be dropped at least pick a better bowler than him.

Smith is not a test player yet, he may become one in time but at present his bowling is ordinary and he is just a bits and pieces player, well suited to one day cricket but not a test match.

Why has Hilfenhaus been persevered with and Bollinger who in all honesty was no worse in his one match at Adelaide on a road was dumped?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Fairly sure Howard, Social, myself and a bunch of other guys here were calling for his head a long time ago,

Spark

Global Moderator
whatever job you have, you're ALWAYS learning your craft.
infact, at the top level, the amount of preparation is basically the difrerence between the winner and loser. Everyone at this level basically has talent, its those who do the extra yards that get the advantage. See Tendulkar. Meticulous preparation, that's why he's been able to stay at the top for so long. See Hayden- always had all the talent in the world, rubbish at the start, then got very serious/ruthless and EXCELLED.

Its not like these guys can just rock up and play. If you're facing a bloody good side, it doesnt matter how much cricket you've played, you have to be in the right mindset.
This. See Flower and England for an obvious example.

Spark

Global Moderator
Awta

Some of the selections by Australia have been baffling. If Hauritz was to be dropped at least pick a better bowler than him.

Smith is not a test player yet, he may become one in time but at present his bowling is ordinary and he is just a bits and pieces player, well suited to one day cricket but not a test match.

Why has Hilfenhaus been persevered with and Bollinger who in all honesty was no worse in his one match at Adelaide on a road was dumped?
because bollinger creates too much rough for swann apparently

TumTum

Banned
Fairly sure Howard, Social, myself and a bunch of other guys here were calling for his head a long time ago,
As did I, but I was willing to give him a chance to play this series (as did many others, can't be bothered digging them up).