• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the SCG

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah agree with others here. Just because we have to lower our expectations of what Australian cricket offers now, doesn't mean we have to accept losing this badly. Is Australian cricket at the level were a rank of no.5 in the world is justified? I really doubt it is. While we may not be able to compete with the best anymore, we still should be one of the top sides in test cricket. And who knows, with intelligent selections and management, we might even be able to strive for the top spot again - it is too premature to shelve that goal yet.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
3 innings defeats in 5 tests. this is absolutely pathetic.

If neilsen, hildich, and ponting aren't all gone from their posts, there is a serious problem.

doesn't matter if at the moment 'there's nobody as good, or ready' etc.
That is irrelevant. The fish rots from the head, and we NEED a new face, new ideas, and a new direction.

Will be interesting to see how these goons are treated. I have a sick feeling that Neilsen and Hildich will be retained though. No transparency in the current Aus setup, and everyone is just covering their own ***.

Spark

Global Moderator
Nah I'd say 5 is a fair reflection of our cricket in general - beyond the test side as well. Look at England's backup bowlers.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah agree with others here. Just because we have to lower our expectations of what Australian cricket offers now, doesn't mean we have to accept losing this badly. Is Australian cricket at the level were a rank of no.5 in the world is justified? I really doubt it is. While we may not be able to compete with the best anymore, we still should be one of the top sides in test cricket. And who knows, with intelligent selections and management, we might even be able to strive for the top spot again - it is too premature to shelve that goal yet.
Spot on, mate.

It's all about standards, and the nature, the magnitude of the losses.

TumTum

Banned
YOu can't win all the time, but this mob should not be losing by an innings three times in a five match series.

Some standards, please.
Definitely it isn't up to standard, but it's not like we have a side full of ****. These guys are good. What would you have preferred, dropping the likes of Watson, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Johnson, Hilfenhaus before this series started? Rubbish.

howardj

International Coach
Definitely it isn't up to standard, but it's not like we have a side full of ****. These guys are good. What would you have preferred, dropping the likes of Watson, Ponting, Clarke, Hussey, Johnson, Hilfenhaus before this series started? Rubbish.
No, I would like better performance.

Two posts ago you said to me what about the players,

Now you're saying I wanted them all sacked!:wacko:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
yeh- its got more to do with the MANNER in which we are playing, then the result. If we showed some promise and flair, and lost 3 matches in which we actually FOUGHT hard, fair enough. It is the friggin opposite though. It's just poor, passionless cricket from most of them. New faces need to be introduced. Starting with the coach and selectors

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So had I tbf. So had most people.

He's come through there, and good on him. Proof that the "class is permanent, form is temporary" philosophy has merit.
I look forward to another year or two of extended poor performances from him

Dad was sitting in the members in front of the Australian dressing room and said it didn't look like a happy place to be, and probably for a good reason too!

howardj

International Coach
No you wanted the selectors sacked. Selectors pick players. etc
Hauritz, Harris, Doherty, North were my main gripes before the series.

Proven correct on all three, fwiw.

Oh, and The Huss :ph34r:

I can't be right about everything. lol

Spark

Global Moderator
I think that we still could've been blown off the park multiple times but when you get idiocy like the runouts... yeah

TumTum

Banned
yeh- its got more to do with the MANNER in which we are playing, then the result. If we showed some promise and flair, and lost 3 matches in which we actually FOUGHT hard, fair enough. It is the friggin opposite though. It's just poor, passionless cricket from most of them. New faces need to be introduced. Starting with the coach and selectors
What have the player's performance got to do with the coach and selectors?

Our batting coach is pretty good as well.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
For ****s sake, can you guys please stop bitching about the selectors or the captains. We lost because we were crap in batting, bowling and fielding. A cricket team is not an empire, nobody reigns it.
Player performance is often a reflection of the guys in charge of them. Be it training, plans, or attitude

Jacknife

International Captain
What did he have to say?
Said something along the lines of, he started to discuss retiring from Tests with his family a couple of weeks ago, but finally decided after the first day of this test, , but he hoped he could go out on a personal high note.It's the right time for him to go and let the younger guys have a crack. Wouldn't have made a difference if he scored runs this test he said, that's why he announced it during it.
He wanted to go out on his own accord and he's realistic about his future.Good comment about how the fans won't have to watch him crabbing around anymore. He's going to miss the team enviroment that's been created over this past 18 months. But he's still looking forward to the one day stuff and making a key contribution in that.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What have the player's performance got to do with the coach and selectors?

Our batting coach is pretty good as well.
Langer is pathetic. What coaching credentials does he have? The techniques of both Ponting and Clarke have regressed since his appointment

TumTum

Banned
Player performance is often a reflection of the guys in charge of them. Be it training, plans, or attitude
I don't buy that, no matter how hard you guys try to convince me.

This isn't junior cricket where the kids are learning their trade, these guys all know how to play.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still find it amazing that England have pretty much picked their best XI every single time (morgan-collingwood the only one in the air) while we've gone into every single match with at least 2 players who should not be there.