• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at the Oval

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
The number of times over 40 years I've heard certain Australians moaning about the pitch after losing away and claiming it was prepared to suit the home team:wacko:

They ignore the times when it's happened in Australia of course.,

We get varied weather in England. This can, and often does, affect pitch preparation.

I used to know, to a small extent, a well known and highly respected groundsman. They are very protective of the Test pitch and extremely nervous about them - it's a very high pressure situation. ideally they want the game to finish after lunch on day 5, a match that finishes before lunch on day 3 would make them very nervous. Any pressure by home managers/selectors/captains to prepare a certain type of pitch would be firmly rebuffed.

The Trent Bridge pitch was fine. It did a little but you expect that on day 1 in England, and many pitches have done much more. The groundsman would have been sweating at lunch by, by the close he'd have been fine. It was very good bowling and feeble batting that produced the 60 all out.

FYI - I've seen a lot of pitches with more grass than usual this season - but only one produced excessive seam movement (there were long term issues at this ground that were being sorted). According to more than one groundsman this is because of a very dry winter. Rather than shave them and having them break up they are leaving more grass on the pitches which are holding together better. The grass is not that 'live' so the ball isn't seaming that much.

The weather forecaster on BBC this morning said it would be cloudy, with breaks in the afternoon, and humid in London today. It's not very humid atm. probably due to some rain overnight.

Last edited:

Jayzamann

International Regular
Not the best toss to lose. Hope this isn't decided by lunch like last time for Clarke's (and Rogers) sake.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The number of times over 40 years I've heard certain Australians moaning about the pitch after losing away and claiming it was prepared to suit the home team:wacko:

They ignore the times when it's happened in Australia of course.,

We get varied weather in England. This can, and often does, affect pitch preparation.

I used to know, to a small extent, a well known and highly respected groundsman. They are very protective of the Test pitch and extremely nervous about them - it's a very high pressure situation. ideally they want the game to finish after lunch on day 5, a match that finishes before lunch on day 3 would make them very nervous. Any pressure by home managers/selectors/captains to prepare a certain type of pitch would be firmly rebuffed.

The Trent Bridge pitch was fine. It did a little but you expect that on day 1 in England, and many pitches have done much more. The groundsman would have been sweating at lunch by, by the close he'd have been fine. It was very good bowling and feeble batting that produced the 60 all out.

FYI - I've seen a lot of pitches with more grass than usual this season - but only one produced excessive seam movement (there were long term issues at this ground that were being sorted). According to more than one groundsman this is because of a very dry winter. Rather than shave them and having them break up they are leaving more grass on the pitches which are holding together better. The grass is not that 'live' so the ball isn't seaming that much.

The weather forecaster on BBC this morning said it would be cloudy, with breaks in the afternoon, and humid in London today. It's not very humid atm. probably due to some rain overnight.
Let's get serious - England have prepared every pitch in the last 2 home series to help the home team

I don't have a problem with that but the denials are embarassing

What will be even more embarrassing will be the whinging when we trot out lightening quick pitches and Patto/Cummins/Starc etc next time

Last edited:

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
No surprise that they have left the grass on #whychangeawinningformula?

Big difference here might be that the Oval is traditionally very hard and a green top with pace would be worse for England
On 5 of the last 7 days it has rained in London.

On 3 of those it has rained a lot..

This affects preparation.

Getting bright, not yet sunny, in London now.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
what ****ty selection. i'm fine with siddle playing. it's just that MJ probably should have been dropped as well. cummins on the sideline is bewildering. and if voges is then dropped at the end of the series....

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
what ****ty selection. i'm fine with siddle playing. it's just that MJ probably should have been dropped as well. cummins on the sideline is bewildering. and if voges is then dropped at the end of the series....
Leave Cummins alone FFS

Potential great but he has hardly played and we don't need to break him AGAIN

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Darren Berry ‏@ChuckBerry1969 1m1 minute ago
So pleased 2 see @petersiddle403 back where he belongs Big heart fantastic team man Should have played once Harris was ruled out #heartnsoul

Unemployed coach Darren Berry has his say