• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

dermo

International Vice-Captain
not enough has been said of swingpanzee's brief cameo late on day 5 imo, unfortunately came at a time when many of his admirer's were asleep

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
not enough has been said of swingpanzee's brief cameo late on day 5 imo, unfortunately came at a time when many of his admirer's were asleep
really? ****, would have been worth staying up for, what did he say? CW man of the series IMO

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The idea of penalty runs has been nrought up a number of times and it seems a pretty good one. How many runs would you penalise the offending team? In my opinion it would have to be reasonably substantial to deter captains from trying to waste time.
MCC Laws of Cricket - Law 42.9 & 42.10 said:
9. Time wasting by the fielding side

It is unfair for any fielder to waste time.

(a) If either umpire considers that the progress of an over is unnecessarily slow, or time is being wasted in any other way, by the captain of the fielding side or by any other fielder [...]
The bowler’s end umpire shall,

(iii) either, if the waste of time is not during an over, award 5 penalty runs to the batting side and inform the captain of the fielding side of the reason for this action
or, if the waste of time is during the course of an over, direct the captain of the fielding side to suspend the bowler forthwith. The bowler thus suspended shall not be allowed to bowl again in that innings.
If applicable, the over shall be completed by another bowler, who shall neither have bowled any part of the previous over, nor be allowed to bowl any part of the next over. [...]

10. Batsman wasting time

It is unfair for a batsman to waste time. In normal circumstances, the striker should always be ready to take strike when the bowler is ready to start his run up.

(a) Should either batsman waste time by failing to meet this requirement, or in any other way, the following procedure shall be adopted. At the first instance, either before the bowler starts his run up or when the ball becomes dead, as appropriate, the umpire shall

(i) warn both batsmen and indicate that this is a first and final warning. This warning shall apply throughout the innings. The umpire shall so inform each incoming batsman. [...]

(b) If there is any further time wasting by any batsman in that innings, the umpire shall, at the appropriate time while the ball is dead
(i) award 5 penalty runs to the fielding side.
If bowlers got suspended, as per the laws of the game, the problem would cease very quickly.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Debut

First post! I have been reading the forum for a couple of years now, but haven't had much to contribute, so I thought I would fit right in. Clarke lost his nerve in the end, just when he had the English reduced to desperate singles (Bell run-out). Another five panics and the test was OURSSSS. Clarke, you spineless critter. Warnie calling the urination controversy obscene is a wee-bit ironic.

I wanted to dress this first post up with pictures and smiley icons and such, but I'm a noob (first post debut), so please be gentle. xxx

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
First post! I have been reading the forum for a couple of years now, but haven't had much to contribute, so I thought I would fit right in. Clarke lost his nerve in the end, just when he had the English reduced to desperate singles (Bell run-out). Another five panics and the test was OURSSSS. Clarke, you spineless critter. Warnie calling the urination controversy obscene is a wee-bit ironic.

I wanted to dress this first post up with pictures and smiley icons and such, but I'm a noob (first post debut), so please be gentle. xxx
Ever play cricket for the Mustangs?