• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Fifth Test at The Oval

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do. He's always been like this to some extent, it's not totally a new problem by any stretch, but I do think it's more pronounced now. At his best Watson scored a lot of runs straight down the ground (as he does as I type this) and through straight midwicket. It's always a good sign when Watson's flick for four actually goes between midwicket and mid on rather than between midwicket and square leg; it's a real pointer to him batting well as it means his head is more or less over the ball at the point of contact. He hasn't hit the ball straight of midwicket with any regularity since the 2009/10 really.
Been going about 70-80% you reckon?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I do. He's always been like this to some extent, it's not totally a new problem by any stretch, but I do think it's more pronounced now. At his best Watson scored a lot of runs straight down the ground (as he does as I type this) and through straight midwicket. It's always a good sign when Watson's flick for four actually goes between midwicket and mid on rather than between midwicket and square leg; it's a real pointer to him batting well as it means his head is more or less over the ball at the point of contact. He hasn't hit the ball straight of midwicket with any regularity since the 2009/10 really.
Exactly my point PEWS. Its not only technique, its when he is trying to hit it straight/defend it straighter. CUT OUT the shots to Fine Leg Watto.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Brings up Watto's half century on kerrigan's debut delievery. Where is Swingpanzee anyway?

Riggins

International Captain
At his best Watson scored a lot of runs straight down the ground (as he does as I type this) and through straight midwicket. It's always a good sign when Watson's flick for four actually goes between midwicket and mid on rather than between midwicket and square leg; it's a real pointer to him batting well as it means his head is more or less over the ball at the point of contact.

Yeah, that's the thing. I kinda think that cos he looks so good smashing some stuff off the stumps early, guys strayed away from it a bit. Whereas now they just try and hit him on the pads every ball.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i remind everyone that the oval was the only english ground matt hayden scored a ton at

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Exactly my point PEWS. Its not only technique, its when he is trying to hit it straight/defend it straighter. CUT OUT the shots to Fine Leg Watto.
Nah it's his technique that dictates that. If he his isn't falling as far away across then it opens up the opportunity to play straighter.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Watson using his feet to spinners is simultaneously a good sign and very worrying. Looks far more confident against the spinners than in the past, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him inexplicably run past one in trying to belt Kerrigan all over the place.