• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

Molehill

International Captain
**** VAR.
Potentially one of the greatest moments in the history of the FA Cup, snatched away by VAR. I just don't see what it adds to anything now, it desperately needs a version of umpire's call to give more credibility to onfield decisions.

Forest could legitimately complain that maybe the ref at Goodison had a bit of a stinker in the El Deductico (whoever came up with that, superb), but you can't go spouting conspiracy theories everywhere on the back of it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The whole notion/concept of clubs hiring "refereeing consultants" is a joke as well. Completely self-indulgent.

Molehill

International Captain
The whole notion/concept of clubs hiring "refereeing consultants" is a joke as well. Completely self-indulgent.
And Clattenburg's position is now completely untenable off the back of the tweet.

I believe they're adding it to the Championship next season, one of the less attractive things about getting promoted.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's just embarrassing to even have such a role/position tbh. It's as if they think having someone officially employed to say that a self-evidently bad reffing decision is crap adds moral weight/authority to their grievance.

Socerer 01

International Captain
it would mean something if clubs actually supported the ones being shafted by refs instead of staying mum when they get the benefit of the calls and then crying about it only when its their turn to get shafted

Molehill

International Captain
It's just embarrassing to even have such a role/position tbh. It's as if they think having someone officially employed to say that a self-evidently bad reffing decision is crap adds moral weight/authority to their grievance.
Does it change the way Forest play football off the back of Clattenburg's guidance?

I know in rugby they take advice from referees, particularly analysing who is in charge of each game. But then decisions are a little more complicated there and certain refs do focus on specific issues around the breakdown.

I watched some of Oxford/Stevenage on Friday. No VAR and the ref was abysmal. He missed a stonewall pen for Stevenage in the first half, obviously felt guilty, then gave them one in the second for a foul that wasn't even in the box. But that's football......and I much prefer that version to the one which spoiled the FA Cup semi.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'm in the minority in that I really don't care about VAR, but the majority of clubs that get really vociferous in whining about it usually offer nothing by way of a solution/alternative. I mean what do Forest want to happen here (other than decision-making to magically be "better" somehow)? The match be replayed? The game to be annulled? Compensation? None of these things are going to happen. It is absolute pie in the sky.

Last edited:

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
The game should be awarded to Forest and Everton deducted a few more points IMO
:cry:
I really hope Dicky Masters doesn't see this post.

We were lucky not to give away at least 2 penalties. Why Dyche keeps picking Young is beyond me, he's an absolute liability week in week out. For an experienced pro, the amount of idiotic fouls he gives away and cards he gets is bizarre, absolutely braindead at times. Should not be playing regularly in the PL anymore.

Pickford superb again yesterday. Recovered from his mistake against Chelsea and made a few vital saves. The one in the first-half was magnificent. His kicking has been strangely **** though the last few games, the amount of times he's given the ball away or spooned one up in the air is really weird. Having seen him warming up a ton of times in person his range and accuracy with both feet is so impressive, proper weird to see him struggling so much.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
We were supposed to be playing cricket last weekend but the season has been delayed because of all the rain. Some of the team went to watch Town play.

They have now called off this weekend’s games. Looking forward to seeing who is going to inflict more pain on themselves by attending again.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, yes, this is all very impressive, but does anyone really expect City not to win all of their remaining matches?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Dicking yer Chavs is never less than awesome, but after the Villa defeat it still feels a little bit like that moment in Bullseye when the final pair have jibbed the "6 darts at 101" and Jim Bowen says,

"Let's see what you could've won."

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh. A 4-1 defeat isn't what Colchester needed. The goal difference is still in our favour, but the sizeable loss brings it in the conceivable to overcome domain.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gateshead getting booted out of the Conference play-offs for not having a secure tenure over their ground for the next 10 years recalls a time when there was always an excuse for the team for the Conference not to get promoted.