• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Feels so much worse than last season, somehow. Then I never really in my heart of hearts thought we could actually do it.

This season though, after taking 4 points off both yer Scousers and Citeh, I had allowed myself a scintilla of hope and, as someone once observed, it's the hope that gets you.
I think we’re on the verge of something great in the next couple of seasons. Lots to love about the squad imo

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I still don't think it's done and dusted mind. City are far from the team they were last season and I'm sure will not win every game. Liverpool have to somehow win at Fulham next week, which will be tough after a trip to Italy on Thursday.
Yesterday's results reminded me of Graeme Souness's comment after Liverpool won their 3rd consecutive league title in 1984 without really hitting the heights of previous seasons. 'By our standards, we didn't deserve to win the league this year, but by everyone else's standards, we did.'

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Feels so much worse than last season, somehow. Then I never really in my heart of hearts thought we could actually do it.

This season though, after taking 4 points off both yer Scousers and Citeh, I had allowed myself a scintilla of hope and, as someone once observed, it's the hope that gets you.
I still wouldn't count them out tbh (though I don't expect them to win it either), but yeah yesterday was a big disappointment.

Molehill

International Captain
With the exception of a couple of players, aren't the vast majority of Arsenal's squad going to be at the Euros too? I note Odergaard/Gabriel aren't going but the same thing applies to Haaland and Alvarez for too.
I don't see Haaland/Alvarez as the really key players for City. Look at their record with or without Rodri. Just got a feeling that they can't keep this run going forever, the dominant sides always seem to have the odd season where they're not at their best (mind you, maybe that was this season with City).

Niall

International Coach
I still don't think it's done and dusted mind. City are far from the team they were last season and I'm sure will not win every game. Liverpool have to somehow win at Fulham next week, which will be tough after a trip to Italy on Thursday.
The issue is even if Spurs do Arsenal/Liverpool a favor I still think both will drop points again because they both have nasty fixtures and then looking at City's remaining fixtures bar Spurs its comfortable.

Brighton away might have offered some hope but they have been poor recently, so likely relying on Fulham to do a favor. Sweet. Jesus.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The issue is even if Spurs do Arsenal/Liverpool a favor I still think both will drop points again because they both have nasty fixtures and then looking at City's remaining fixtures bar Spurs its comfortable.

Brighton away might have offered some hope but they have been poor recently, so likely relying on Fulham to do a favor. Sweet. Jesus.
haven’t Fulham been a thorn for the big sides this season?

Niall

International Coach
haven’t Fulham been a thorn for the big sides this season?
Won 4 points v Arsenal and were unlucky at Pool losing 4-3 in a cracker.

They have a shambolic record against City though so its a big ask to expect them to do Pool/Arsenal a favor.

Molehill

International Captain
How does this work for an England attacking set up?

Rice Bellingham

Saka Palmer Foden

Kane

Palmer was sensational last night, even if Everton were diabolical. Pickford had a shocker too, at fault for at least 2.

The penalty situation was hilarious. Seriously, Madueke and Jackson should lose their win bonus for that kind of behaviour. Funny how they're keen to take a pen at 4-0 up but were nowhere to be seen when it's 2-3 in injury time. I really detest it, complete lack of team ethic. You have a bloke who has 8 from 8 from the spot, why should it even be a question who takes it? Sums Chelsea up, even when thrashing a team they can still be a bunch of wankers.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Massive and hard fought win over Grimsby today puts Colchester in the box seat to stay in League 2. Sutton are 4 points behind now with only two games left to play. Colchester have a game in hand too.

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant

Rice Bellingham

Saka Palmer Foden

Kane

Palmer was sensational last night, even if Everton were diabolical. Pickford had a shocker too, at fault for at least 2.

The penalty situation was hilarious. Seriously, Madueke and Jackson should lose their win bonus for that kind of behaviour. Funny how they're keen to take a pen at 4-0 up but were nowhere to be seen when it's 2-3 in injury time. I really detest it, complete lack of team ethic. You have a bloke who has 8 from 8 from the spot, why should it even be a question who takes it? Sums Chelsea up, even when thrashing a team they can still be a bunch of wankers.
He's so bad and an absolute liability.

As a neutral I have no idea why England continue to choose him, understand he's done well in the past but its beyond obvious he's not good enough and never has been/will be.

Alternative option wise, Pope not being fit hurts, I don't particularly rate Ramsdale or Butland. However, between Trafford, Johnstone and Henderson there must be someone else they could throw in there and do a job.

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Matt's obviously got a touch of the nutter about him but fmd his highlights reels are still as good as anyone's.
Personally, I think it's wonderful that the best player ever to represent my most hated rivals turned out to be a complete wrong'un!!

RightArmMystery

U19 Vice-Captain
He's so bad and an absolute liability.

As a neutral I have no idea why England continue to choose him, understand he's done well in the past but its beyond obvious he's not good enough and never has been/will be.

Alternative option wise, Pope not being fit hurts, I don't particularly rate Ramsdale or Butland. However, between Trafford, Johnstone and Henderson there must be someone else they could throw in there and do a job.
As someone who watches him every week, Pickford gets an unfairly hard time. Sure he made a couple of mistakes against Chelsea, but name me a goalkeeper in the world who doesn't make the odd mistake. He's been Everton's most consistent performer for years. The amount of times he bails us out is absolutely insane. He's also been excellent for England.

Pope's injured. Ramsdale's not playing. Trafford is dreadful and been exposed at Burnley. Henderson is awful and been playing 2nd fiddle to Johnstone all season when he's not been injured, and Johnstone is injured again. Not seen enough of Butland this season, but couldn't get a game at Palace until he went to Scotland. Pickford is far and away our best option for the Euros, and will rightly be our number 1.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Rice Bellingham

Saka Palmer Foden

Kane

Palmer isn't better than Bellingham.

Molehill

International Captain
The real question is, who would be on Pens?
Turns out Bellingham and Foden are fine on them.

The problem with removing the away goals rule exposed last night, Real played for penalties and got away with it. Having said that, for all their possession, City didn't actually create that much.

On the plus side, the vast majority of English players will get a nice rest between end of season and Euros.

Would be amusing if Bayern won the Champions League. Not remotely the best side in Germany, plus they have Kane!!

Skipper Pup

U19 Debutant
As someone who watches him every week, Pickford gets an unfairly hard time. Sure he made a couple of mistakes against Chelsea, but name me a goalkeeper in the world who doesn't make the odd mistake. He's been Everton's most consistent performer for years. The amount of times he bails us out is absolutely insane. He's also been excellent for England.

Pope's injured. Ramsdale's not playing. Trafford is dreadful and been exposed at Burnley. Henderson is awful and been playing 2nd fiddle to Johnstone all season when he's not been injured, and Johnstone is injured again. Not seen enough of Butland this season, but couldn't get a game at Palace until he went to Scotland. Pickford is far and away our best option for the Euros, and will rightly be our number 1.
Great post. Can't wait to come back to this