• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** English Football Season 2023/24

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Weren’t you a disallowed goal against Sheffield Utd in 2020 from going down?
Aye, though that was our first season back after promotion. Team has changed a lot since then but the transformation in performance under Emery is wildly beyond the level of personnel changes.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Unlike last season where Arsenal bottled it this season looks like Arsenal are just being beaten by a better team a bit like the 2 seasons when Liverpool finished runners up with over 90 points. Can they improve and get it done next year? Who knows but they are a young squad and improving year on year.

As for Villa, looks like they had a good ebening last night. They have cashed in on a season when other big teams have disappointed so full credit to them especially doing it without Mings.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
By my count they're the 11th or 12th Prem team to make the CL (depending on whether one counts going out in the qualifying round as CL proper):

Man U
Blackburn
Newcastle
The Arse
Chavs
Leeds
Liverpool
Everton* (kinda)
Spuds
Citeh
Leicester
Villa

Think that's it, but haven't checked out of some misguided belief that me remembering this kinda crap still matters.

Anyhoo, point is I doubt any other country has had more.

Molehill

International Captain
By my count they're the 11th or 12th Prem team to make the CL (depending on whether one counts going out in the qualifying round as CL proper):

Man U
Blackburn
Newcastle
The Arse
Chavs
Leeds
Liverpool
Everton* (kinda)
Spuds
Citeh
Leicester
Villa

Think that's it, but haven't checked out of some misguided belief that me remembering this kinda crap still matters.

Spain, France and Germany 14, Italy 12!!

speirz

State Vice-Captain

Man U
Blackburn
Newcastle
The Arse
Chavs
Leeds
Liverpool
Everton* (kinda)
Spuds
Citeh
Leicester
Villa

For the group stage, Germany clear with 15 clubs. Spain and Italy should add to their counts after this season with Girona and Bologna respectively as well.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Unlike last season where Arsenal bottled it this season looks like Arsenal are just being beaten by a better team a bit like the 2 seasons when Liverpool finished runners up with over 90 points. Can they improve and get it done next year? Who knows but they are a young squad and improving year on year.

As for Villa, looks like they had a good ebening last night. They have cashed in on a season when other big teams have disappointed so full credit to them especially doing it without Mings.
they should tbh, they have picked up the art of grinding out wins even when not at their best and next season they should have a real striker and some backup for Saka finally, maybe even a left back. all of those would be big big boosts or transform the side further

idk who City can sign that takes them up a notch, Kimmich who was linked with them has been playing as a right back recently because he was too exposed in the midfield

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
On the ‘wanting your team to lose’ thing I can’t ever imagine wanting the whites to lose. Granted, our rivals aren’t in the same town, if in imaginary fantasy land we ever did manage to share a division with those across the water then it would be a different dynamic. But if we had something to play for I wouldn’t even give it a second thought!

Theres a bloke I know who two years ago said if he had to choose out of us to beat Bristol Rovers or Liverpool to lose to Man City on the same weekend, he’d have selected the Liverpool defeat every time. We were in a promotion race at the time! Obviously a meaningless hypothetical but bizarre to me.

The Liverpool/Blackburn fixture in 94-95 was mentioned in this thread recently. Local radio was full of reds wanting them lose in the lead up but as that match went on they found themselves cheering their team. Not completely full blooded, and if United had been winning then who knows, but I feel like as a fan competitive instinct takes over. I had to drag myself to games as this season wound to a dull and meaningless close but once in the ground, every goal we scored still felt euphoric. I just didn’t dwell on the result one way or the other after the fact.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder how this will all feel if Arsenal suddenly have two (or more) EPL title wins after Citeh get stripped of the titles by FFP rule breach violations

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aye, though that was our first season back after promotion. Team has changed a lot since then but the transformation in performance under Emery is wildly beyond the level of personnel changes.
Oh for sure but just more demonstrates how far you’ve come and how vastly different it nearly was.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Man U
Blackburn
Newcastle
The Arse
Chavs
Leeds
Liverpool
Everton* (kinda)
Spuds
Citeh
Leicester
Villa

Without checking I would have thought quite a few leagues will have had more. There was about 6 or 7 seasons in a row where Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were the top 4.

Off the top of my head Bayern, Stuttgart, Dortmund, Kaiserslautern and Wolfsburg have all won the Bundesliga in the Champions League era, with Leipzig, Schalke, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Union Berlin and Bayer Leverkusen all having made the groups. I'm pretty sure there's at least 2 or 3 clubs who I've forgotten about.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Without checking I would have thought quite a few leagues will have had more. There was about 6 or 7 seasons in a row where Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal were the top 4.

Off the top of my head Bayern, Stuttgart, Dortmund, Kaiserslautern and Wolfsburg have all won the Bundesliga in the Champions League era, with Leipzig, Schalke, Borussia Mönchengladbach, Union Berlin and Bayer Leverkusen all having made the groups. I'm pretty sure there's at least 2 or 3 clubs who I've forgotten about.
i swear Frankfurt played Champions League football winning the Europa league once

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The worst thing by far about VAR is this ****ing nonsense where the VAR official has the game stopped for ****ing ages checking through an incident to then call the on field ref over to spend another minute reviewing the incident.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The worst thing by far about VAR is this ****ing nonsense where the VAR official has the game stopped for ****ing ages checking through an incident to then call the on field ref over to spend another minute reviewing the incident.
Yeah surely if they’re not sure, get the ref over?