• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2022/23

Molehill

International Captain
Is it possible for a goal to age well? I feel like this one looks better and better every time I see it again. Techniques are light years ahead of where they were 25 years ago and the touch is still jaw-dropping.
Wasn't like it was a fluke either, the third here is remarkably similar (one of the great hatricks too).

Bergkamp's incredible hat-trick against Leicester | Here's more of Bergkamp at his best. What a hat-trick, what a player. Swoon. | By Arsenal | Facebook

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is it possible for a goal to age well? I feel like this one looks better and better every time I see it again. Techniques are light years ahead of where they were 25 years ago and the touch is still jaw-dropping.
He was a bit good, wasn't he?

I'm glad the majority of the great man's career is recorded for posterity because, looking at his good but not earth shattering stats, I can see future footballing iconoclasts trying to claim he wasn't that special. Luckily we can point to clips like the 98 QF & the Leicester hat-trick and say "He bloody was, you know."

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was a bit good, wasn't he?

I'm glad the majority of the great man's career is recorded for posterity because, looking at his good but not earth shattering stats, I can see future footballing iconoclasts trying to claim he wasn't that special. Luckily we can point to clips like the 98 QF & the Leicester hat-trick and say "He bloody was, you know."
Special is exactly the right word.

I don’t know if he’s quite one of the absolute best PL players. As a United fan in that era you massively respected him, but didn’t fear him in the way you feared Henry or Van Persie. He wasn’t someone who consistently hurt you in the the big games.

I remember Ashley Cole picking an XI of players he’d played with on MNF and Carragher having a meltdown because he had Drogba rather than Bergkamp. It’s such footballing phillistinism. But you can see where he’s coming from too. When you played Chelsea it felt absolutely inevitable that Drogba would score.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Drogba a more prolific and dangerous player when comparing them directly, but Bergkamp made the players around him more prolific and dangerous. Henry and Ian Wright say he's the best player they've ever played with for a reason. Pires and Ljungerg would also never have scored as many goals as they did without him. Overmars, Wiltord, Anelka, and plenty of others as well.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
And he's absolutely one of the best Prem players ever imo. And the best Arsenal player ever.

I think I've posted this vid before, but like UC says, his technique was pretty much of a modern day standard in an era where most matches were just people kicking eachother:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Drogba a more prolific and dangerous player when comparing them directly, but Bergkamp made the players around him more prolific and dangerous. Henry and Ian Wright say he's the best player they've ever played with for a reason. Pires and Ljungerg would also never have scored as many goals as they did without him. Overmars, Wiltord, Anelka, and plenty of others as well.
Fair to say that Bergkamp is the one you’d most love to play with, but Drogba is the one you’d most hate to play against?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fair to say that Bergkamp is the one you’d most love to play with, but Drogba is the one you’d most hate to play against?
Yeah definitely.

Edit: That said, I wouldn't particularly enjoy facing Bergkamp either tbh. For all his finesse his record of red cards received for violet conduct isn't exactly short haha.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bergkamp in the early Wenger era years was literally the perfect foil for any type of striker whether it be Henry, Wiltord, Kanu or whoever.

Pure genius

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah definitely.

Edit: That said, I wouldn't particularly enjoy facing Bergkamp either tbh. For all his finesse his record of red cards received for violet conduct isn't exactly short haha.
Love that about the Dutch. They always seem such a meek, laid back and kind bunch, and then there was the 2010 World Cup Final!!

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, the whole "scorer of great goals, but not a great scorer of goals" thing is trite, but it applies to him completely. One of the reasons he didn't score more goals is because he basically didn't play as a striker for most of his Arsenal career. It's a total miscast. Bloke spent most of his time in the space between the opposition penalty area and the halfway line.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Love that about the Dutch. They always seem such a meek, laid back and kind bunch, and then there was the 2010 World Cup Final!!
Haha that was a disgrace though. Bergkamp was at least an artist in between him thumping people. That WC final was pure anti-football.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Special is exactly the right word.

I don’t know if he’s quite one of the absolute best PL players. As a United fan in that era you massively respected him, but didn’t fear him in the way you feared Henry or Van Persie. He wasn’t someone who consistently hurt you in the the big games.

I remember Ashley Cole picking an XI of players he’d played with on MNF and Carragher having a meltdown because he had Drogba rather than Bergkamp. It’s such footballing phillistinism. But you can see where he’s coming from too. When you played Chelsea it felt absolutely inevitable that Drogba would score.
Tbf Ashley played with peak Drogba whereas Bergkamp was probably past his best when he played with him?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh yeah totally. The problem was that him holding his own would not infrequently spill over to just punching other people in the face lol.

Though there was that great moment when Reyes, standing behind Bergkamp, reached around Bergkamp to slap a Sheff Utd player in the face, and Bergkamp being sent off for it due to a case of mistaken identity :laugh:

Edit @ duffer

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbf Ashley played with peak Drogba whereas Bergkamp was probably past his best when he played with him?
Wouldn't say so tbh. Bergkamp was awesome right up until around 2005, and Cole played 6 full seasons with him after debuting.

Fair enough if he genuinely prefers Drogba mind you. I think some people probably just suspect his choice might be motivated by sour grapes/an attempt to troll Arsenal fans.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Anyway, the really curious (i.e. wtf) choice of Cole's in the abovementioned XI was him picking Florent Malouda over Freddie Ljungberg.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wouldn't say so tbh. Bergkamp was awesome right up until around 2005, and Cole played 6 full seasons with him after debuting.

Fair enough if he genuinely prefers Drogba mind you. I think some people probably just suspect his choice might be motivated by sour grapes/an attempt to troll Arsenal fans.
You’re the gooner so I’ll take your word, I just had in my mind that Bergkamp was more of a squad player by the time of the invincibles. Sounds like I had Cole debuting later in my head than he did though

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You’re the gooner so I’ll take your word, I just had in my mind that Bergkamp was more of a squad player by the time of the invincibles. Sounds like I had Cole debuting later in my head than he did though
Invincibles (in my head anyway) are:

Mad Jens

Lauren
Sol
Kolo
Cole

Vieira
Gilberto Silva
Ljungberg
Pires

Bergkamp

Henry

Although you'll probably find that XI only played 7 games together or something daft like that.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah Cole actually debuted for Arsenal in 1999 I think. Which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

Bergkamp was definitely first choice until his final season with Arsenal though. Though age and injuries definitely caught up with him a bit in his last two seasons.