• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official English Football Season 2021/22***

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Saliba wins young player of the year in France. Wonder if Arteta still thinks he's too raw for Premiership footy?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Shame they can't get him back to play tonight tbh. Sounds like it'll be Tomiyasu and...er... someone... as CBs

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha he better be, because I'm genuinely not sure what the alternatives would be

Xhaka or El Neny I guess, with Lokonga as CM

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Those 3 consecutive games against Palace, Brighton and Southampton where we got 0 points is looking rather tragic right now

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nah. Was short on the points threshold and I'm not paying some touting **** thousands of pounds.
I was reading some pieces about Rangers winning the Cup Winners' Cup in 1972, as all I remembered at the time was the 3-2 win in the final and the scenes after the game. I was unaware of their semi-final win over Bayern Munich, who, according to the writer, included Beckenbauer and Muller. Which was true of course, but they also included four other guys from the West Germany side that won the Euros a month or so later and the WC two years later. Not to mention that many of the Bayern side featured when they won the European Cup 3 years on the trot from 1974 to 1976. Beating that lot over two legs really was an outstanding performance. The other interesting result was when they beat Sporting Lisbon on away goals in the second round. Unfortunately the referee was unaware of the away goals rule, and told the teams to play a penalty shoot-out, which Lisbon won. So Rangers were out until someone dug out the rule book, which may make them the only side to win a tie after losing a penalty shoot-out. Anyway, good luck on Wednesday.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, the 1972 win against Bayern Munich in the semis is the best ever result by a Scottish side in Europe.

This feels different to 2008 because we've been beating sides rather than not losing to them this time round. And given we've (deservedly) beaten both Dortmund and Leipzig on route, there's no reason we should fear Frankfurt.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, the 1972 win against Bayern Munich in the semis is the best ever result by a Scottish side in Europe.
I love how you post filthy trolls like this even though we have no Celtic fan posters, just on the off chance that one might wander in.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I actually really hope Rangers win. But if they don't, Jocks failing is never not funny, so Wednesday ought to be a good evening.

Unlike tonight, which will be horrible.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah as a lifelong Old Firm hater I’ve found myself wanting them to win their games too. European football is such a tactical monoculture now that Rangers’ scrappy, high energy style feels kinda fresh.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I love how you post filthy trolls like this even though we have no Celtic fan posters, just on the off chance that one might wander in.
Hardly a filthy troll.

The majority of that Bayern side played for the West German side which won the European Championship a couple of months later; they also won the World Cup in 1974 and 3 European Cups in a row between 1974 and 1976.

Beating them 2-0 at Ibrox to make a European final was an amazing result.