• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dunno, but is that where "Nice one, Cyril" comes from?! :ph34r:
Nope. This would actually work better if I could remember the name of the beer. The advert's from the mid-1970s, and features two teams after their cup final. The winners are looking thoroughly miserable drinking champagne, and the losers much happier drinking this particular beer. The losing team were played by Hayes FC, including Regis in his amateur days. Probably Carling, Carlsberg or Heineken, but I couldn't find it just now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don’t remember any of these adverts. I’ve never been an avid TV watcher. That football one seems very long for a commercial break.
I do remember Nice One Cyril. There was quite a few big hits in the early 70’s. That one was Cyril Knowles and Spurs. There was also Back Home from the 1970 World Cup squad, Good Old Arsenal from the 71 Cup Final squad and Blue is the Colour from the Chelsea gang. There were always Cup Final songs in those but they weren’t always hits.

And Fulham’s relegation in confirmed. The bottom three seem to have been there forever, though Fulham did get on a run for a while.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well it's been a schisseshow of a season for the Arse, but at least we have the satisfaction of relegating BFS from the Prem for the first time.

Given our previous with the ungreat man I have to say I mildly enjoyed watching his face increasingly resemble a syphilitic ham hock with each chew on his gum.

No issue with the Baggies at all though, but.
Yeah, I laughed.

Never beaten us at home. Waste fellow.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It seems like Portugal is favourite for the CL Final because of the UK travel isolation and quarantine rules. I’m all for strict border controls but just give all the foreign journalists etc a test, a mask and ensure they hug cautiously. :detective

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Isn't it because the attendance will be capped at 10k in the UK as well?
Will probably be capped in Portugal too. The Portuguese league still plays behind closed doors.

"Discussions between UEFA and the government failed to reach a resolution on Monday with the competition organizer wanting waivers to allow media, sponsors and guests to fly in without having to quarantine, people familiar with the talks told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the talks."

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Is there an inside story there or just poor form?
I mean we have gone from having automatic promotion in our own hands in early April to scraping into the play offs by holding onto a 0-0 draw at home to 20th places Colchester on the last day. We recently loaned a centre back out to Notts County and since then he's scored more goals than we have. Any team at this level and dare I say it the one above would miss a player of Vaighan's quality but it went much deeper and he'd ran out of ideas. So the form will have played a part but its in no way the whole story.

A large portion of the fanbase were never happy with his appointment. Bolton and all that. Plus he was announced right after a 5-0 win, at that point everyone wanted the caretaker in charge.

But when we were winning matches and starting to become favourites for the title, you forget all that. And we went to Wembley by beating a couple of L1 clubs so everything was rosy.

But he started having pops at the fans in his post match interviews, and then called the fanbase fickle. He was really struggling to come back from that then on Saturday gave a bizarre interview where he threw all of the players under the bus, said the poor form wasn't his fault and then, worst of all, when asked if in the play offs we'd be fighting to undo an unjust demotion he responded 'They got relegated because they lost 18 games not because they won 3 in a row.' He was basically asking to be sacked at that point and I think everyone reached the conclusion that he wouldn't get us up for the play offs but now Ian Dawes just might, especially as we have 9 days to prepare from here whereas they'd usually be kicking off tonight.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Heh, I see. I didn't want to say it at the time but the numbers guys never fancied Tranmere at all even when they were on course for the top 3. They had you around mid-table quality despite Vaughan being one of the league's best players, so this kind of form is more or less what you'd expect with him injured.

The other thing they say is that Otis Khan, who they love, should be one of the top assisters in the league but his team mates are on a ridiculous spree of missing easy chances he creates. Is that how it looks in real life?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There is a small irony to Tranmere falling away over the last quarter of the season after the complicated formula they came up with last season to try to save themselves based on always ending a season well. The owner didn’t earn too many friends. But then again the other two chief moaners were Hearts and Peterborough and they’ve both gone up this season so hopefully we’ll get the full set and everyone will be happy (although perhaps always bearing a tiny grudge).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Heh, I see. I didn't want to say it at the time but the numbers guys never fancied Tranmere at all even when they were on course for the top 3. They had you around mid-table quality despite Vaughan being one of the league's best players, so this kind of form is more or less what you'd expect with him injured.

The other thing they say is that Otis Khan, who they love, should be one of the top assisters in the league but his team mates are on a ridiculous spree of missing easy chances he creates. Is that how it looks in real life?
The squad as a whole has underperformed for sure and those players should have been able to perform without Vaughan. Not sure on that about Khan though. His assists probably would be higher if Vaughan had stayed fit but they'd also be higher if he'd been played in the attacking role he was signed for rather than at full-back...

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There is a small irony to Tranmere falling away over the last quarter of the season after the complicated formula they came up with last season to try to save themselves based on always ending a season well. The owner didn’t earn too many friends. But then again the other two chief moaners were Hearts and Peterborough and they’ve both gone up this season so hopefully we’ll get the full set and everyone will be happy (although perhaps always bearing a tiny grudge).
Ha this is the first season we've ended badly since we went down to the conf. But if the season had been stopped with 10 to go we'd have gone up on PPG... tbh I get what you're saying but to me it only serves to justify all of our complaints about it. And you're dead right btw this bitterness will stick with me forever, regardless of what happens in the next few weeks :laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Every team the SPFL screwed over last season has won their respective leagues, and Celtic have absolutely bombed.

With Brechin set to be relegated as well, it's been a great season if you believe in natural justice.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think one of the problems for us was we had a massive player turnover in the summer, the manager left, and then his number two took over but didn't last long. So that sense of injustice hasn't powered as much of the squad on as maybe it should.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Every team the SPFL screwed over last season has won their respective leagues, and Celtic have absolutely bombed.

With Brechin set to be relegated as well, it's been a great season if you believe in natural justice.
Haha what's the deal with Brechin?