• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hope Accies get some hype, with Salford, Cowleys, Ainsworth and the like, Coleman seems to be utterly ignored for his incredible achievements, and they have always tried to play football, unlike some others I may have just mentioned.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Hope Accies get some hype, with Salford, Cowleys, Ainsworth and the like, Coleman seems to be utterly ignored for his incredible achievements, and they have always tried to play football, unlike some others I may have just mentioned.
's what ian rush drinks

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Working through the new Wenger autobiography at the moment, and discovered a few things I never knew:

- He rates Glenn Hoddle as one of the very best players he ever worked with.

- George Weah gave him his Ballon d'Or trophy as soon as it had been awarded, after convincing the security guards at the event to let Wenger (who was uninvited) into the ceremony.

- Lilian Thuram was playing as a right winger before Wenger decided he could be converted into a defender.

Interesting.

grecian

Pfft, we brought in a loan signing which stopped us putting a 15 y-o in goal, where's the fun in that?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The most ironically correct statement of the week. He only has the job because of who he is, he certainly wasn't qualified for it.
I do find it interesting that there's been a bit of an increase in big clubs going for managers on the basis of who they are, not what they've done. As well as Lampard, you've got Solksjaer at United, Pirlo at Juventus and Zidane and Koeman at Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively off the top of my head.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I do find it interesting that there's been a bit of an increase in big clubs going for managers on the basis of who they are, not what they've done. As well as Lampard, you've got Solksjaer at United, Pirlo at Juventus and Zidane and Koeman at Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively off the top of my head.
Funny how none of those managers have done particularly badly, but all of those clubs are to some extent in bad shape. An overpromoted ex-player manager is kind of like an accidental "this club is run like a ****show" badge.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Henry at Monaco another recent lolbad example. Kind of already gets forgotten about, but what a disaster that was.

grecian

the weird thing is there's a kernel of a point, in what he's saying I was listening to Guardian football weekly preview to this season and someone just said he doesn't think Dean Smith and Scott Parker are up to it, the only 2 things that link ther two are they're English really. Smith has a decent record. They've been ribbing the guy since about Villa's start, but I don't remember one of them interjecting at the time,

Having said all that Lampard is talking crap as he clearly isn't remotely qualified for the job, and Ole gets just as much stick as him, probably more, because he's not qualified for the job either. There are also unfashionable forn coaches that clearly don't get the hype of Ancelotti, Klopp, Guardiola and Mourino, wonder if those might get a bit more leeway because of all the bloody titles they have won., it's a thought isn't it Fat frank.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Even as a Chelsea fan I personally think Lampard has actually been treated pretty kindly - gets the job after taking Derby from 6th to 6th and realistically who did we finish above that we shouldn't have last season. 4th was seen as a massive achievement. In my view it was a solid achievement but Spurs are the only side you can make an argument for having better players then us who we finished above. If this wasn't Lampard he would be under much more pressure at this stage too - Jorginho as a CDM and not playing Hudson-Odoi regularly was criticism frequently laid at Sarri but that has largely continued happening with Lampard. I'd actually argue if this was Sarri in charge he would be under a bit of pressure regarding his job already - whilst Lampard has been criticised often by social media rather then the media there is no suggestion his job is under pressure.

Looking at last season our main weakness was a lack of a striker but our defence wasn't this bad before Lampard joined, I've already shared my views on Kepa, in midfield we had the likes of Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho to pick from - it might be controversial but individually I think they are better then Liverpool's midfielders (individually) and probably the 2nd best midfield in the league (as individuals). However, of course football is a team sport and its about getting the midfield to work as a collective. Abraham/Giroud is a significant downgrade on the likes of Kane, Aguero, Firmino etc. But in terms of wide men Pulisic, Willian and/or Hudson-Odoi is way below the quality of Man City and Liverpool but as good if not better then most of the other sides in the top 4/6 discussion.