• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2020-21

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From a legal pov it is actually really interesting tbh, and he's probably right in a lot of what he says. I hadn't really thought about it this way, but under UK company law the City directors would arguably be breaching their fiduciary obligations (i.e., breaking the law) by not signing City up to the super league, given the context.
This can’t possibly be true in this case. But I take the general point that the law compels them to ruin football entirely for £1 more if given the option.

When the news came out I wrote out and deleted another version of my recurring rant about how disgraceful it was to allow football clubs to be shoehorned into the corporate form of ownership. By English custom they’re stakeholder-driven entities and that’s how the law should recognise them. At this point even the Tories are realising that.

Niall

International Coach
It is a world of pain waiting to happen. Someone is going to get pwnd really really bad
I am hugely skeptical as this screams and sorry for the lazy lingo here "virtue signalling" for the red wall,,,,but I suppose to play Devil's advocate if he was not bull****ting for once, then he probably should call a general election the day after.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
This can’t possibly be true in this case. But I take the general point that the law compels them to ruin football entirely for £1 more if given the option.

When the news came out I wrote out and deleted another version of my recurring rant about how disgraceful it was to allow football clubs to be shoehorned into the corporate form of ownership. By English custom they’re stakeholder-driven entities and that’s how the law should recognise them. At this point even the Tories are realising that.
Maybe not, but it's definitely arguable imo, based on my limited understanding of the Companies Act and associated case law anyway.

But yeah, the absence of any bespoke legal regulation means that incorporation of football clubs as private companies was always on the cards. Like you allude to, this was always a dangerous and perilous arrangement, and now the chickens are coming home to roost. Absolutely way too late to do anything about that though. That ship has well and truly sailed.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
i remember i had a huge fight with halsey in one of these threads a few years ago about this

probably made it a bit too personal about MUFC plc but oh well they were the first ones

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Look, I know nothing about the Law, but surely you can make a case that entering into an untried organisation with no actual deals guaranteed, and your fan-base, i.e customers will hate it, is an unnecessary and perhaps reckless risk?

Both the Sheikh and Abrahomovich really don't need the money, and do own their clubs for PR, and Roman has always valued the Champions Leaugue, I can honestly see themselves pulling out of this, and good on Chelsea fans, which is not something I say often.

Edt, my post rather usurped by Magrats post.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Look, I know nothing about the Law, but surely you can make a case that entering into an untried organisation with no actual deals guaranteed, and your fan-base, i.e customers will hate it, is an unnecessary and perhaps reckless risk?

Both the Sheikh and Abrahomovich really don't need the money, and do own their clubs for PR, and Roman has always valued the Champions Leaugue, I can honestly see themselves pulling out of this, and good on Chelsea fans, which is not something I say often.

Edt, my post rather usurped by Magrats post.
You could defo argue this, but you could probably just as easily argue it the other way to some extent.

E.g. as mentioned previously Spurs are basically insolvent and desperately need the cash. They'd argue it was absolutely a necessary move I imagine.

City on the other hand, let's say they found out about that the other 5 clubs had arranged this and were asked if they wanted in, they would have a good argument that they needed to follow suit or risk being left behind etc

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah well, if it does fall flat, at least we do know fans still have some power, even though we should know this simply from home results and atmos in vacated stadia, it clearly is not the same "product" without them.