• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah the gameplan sort of always has to include ‘hope they don’t score any screamers or deflections’.

I thought Hepburn-Murphy looked really handy. See he’s only there on loan though.
Yeah good player, inconsistent which you generally expect from young Prem loanees. Had a few injuries too.

Personally thought our best player was Ferrier who gave Phil Jones a difficult afternoon. We need to get him some support ASAP if we are to stay up.

andmark

International Captain
I like that the lad who scored the OG will be able to finish the story to his grandchildren by saying "but then we came back and drew to get a replay at the European champions' ground." Nice way for the story of the match to finish for them.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I will be hungover at work tomorrow, Contacted boss and told him I need day off to go to replay and he agreed already. Good day all round.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This scrapping replays talk is doing my head right in.

The world doesn't revolve around teams in Europe. You've stripped it away enough, can it.

Uppercut

The world doesn't revolve around teams in Europe. You've stripped it away enough, can it.
I like Klopp but he’s talking total ****e and it’s pissing me off. Acting like a control freak mother on a wedding day, failing to notice when something isn’t all about him.

andmark

International Captain
Would love to do them kids in the replay. Chelsea away not a bad incentive I guess.
That first sentence looks horrendous on the internet haha.

But nah, you risk getting ahead of yourself here. Coming from behind to draw at home is different to winning at Anfield. That said, I've lost confidence in the group of players, so maybe it really is on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I think there should definitely be a rule where if both managers agree to it before hand, then the tie just goes to penalties after 90 minutes if it's a draw.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think there should definitely be a rule where if both managers agree to it before hand, then the tie just goes to penalties after 90 minutes if it's a draw.
Yeah I'm fine with that as a compromise. The FA Trophy has such a rule.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
can see it now, the fourth division club getting death threats and mail bombs because they didn't agree to penalties

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I like Klopp but he’s talking total ****e and it’s pissing me off. Acting like a control freak mother on a wedding day, failing to notice when something isn’t all about him.
He isn't though, is he? Klopp's been entirely consistent at speaking out against pretty much every competition expanding. He's just off criticising the proposed expansion of the Champions League.

His point is that there's too many bodies running football, none of whom are actually talking to each other about the calendar. So you end up with the farcical situation where the Premier League are telling you to not arrange any fixtures during the break as it's supposed to be a total break for the players (ie don't travel halfway around the world to play a friendly in the US/China/wherever) yet the FA schedule cup replays during the break.

If the top teams are worried about the number of games then they could always start with their own competition though - 20 team divisions are too big with how the game has expanded.

Uppercut

He isn't though, is he? Klopp's been entirely consistent at speaking out against pretty much every competition expanding. He's just off criticising the proposed expansion of the Champions League.

His point is that there's too many bodies running football, none of whom are actually talking to each other about the calendar. So you end up with the farcical situation where the Premier League are telling you to not arrange any fixtures during the break as it's supposed to be a total break for the players (ie don't travel halfway around the world to play a friendly in the US/China/wherever) yet the FA schedule cup replays during the break.

If the top teams are worried about the number of games then they could always start with their own competition though - 20 team divisions are too big with how the game has expanded.
I fear you've bought into the implicit idea that a priority for governing bodies should be ensuring that the very best teams don't have to play too much football. With the Champions League expansion, fine, whatever, but cup replays are a small concession to the vast majority of football clubs in England that have been forced into an existence-threatening decline by the reforms of the past 30 years. They mean very little to big clubs or the fans of big clubs, myself included, but they mean a hell of a lot to fans of smaller clubs and the idea that we should remove them for the sake of Sadio Mane's poor little legs is offensive.