• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Spark

Global Moderator
Cricket being more segmented or compartmentalised than football is not something I entirely agree with either. It gives the appearance of being a series of isolated incidents, strung together, one after the other, but I think this is somewhat superficial way of looking at it, thus making the distinction for re: why VAR is more appropriate for use in one that the other fairly unconvincing for me.

Cricket matches, like football matches, are essentially just dynamical systems with underlying patterns, feedback loops, and fractals, and a small change in one of their constituent elements can trigger huge changes in their future state. There is a massive sensitive dependence on initial, seemingly benign factors and conditions, which is why cabinet is absolutely right to point out how matches are decided on margins. The more marginal calls decided correctly the better so far as I am concerned.
That's all true but that's not really what I was getting at - the positives are similar/the same in concept, but DRS just seems so much less disruptive to the natural rhythm of the game in cricket athan VAR appears to be (early days etc etc, early DRS wasn't ideal either), which seems to be the big downside.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That's all true but that's not really what I was getting at - the positives are similar/the same in concept, but DRS just seems so much less disruptive to the natural rhythm of the game in cricket athan VAR appears to be (early days etc etc, early DRS wasn't ideal either), which seems to be the big downside.
Yeah fair dos, I get all that. It's just for me personally the disruption of it all is massively overstated. Just a matter of personal preference I suppose.

Niall

International Coach
Always risky writing of kids as it can come back to haunt you, but Lingard is a bit **** isn't he?

Last edited:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Pogba always looks like he’s going to miss every penalty he takes.

In other news Bolton were so traumatised by the 5-0 defeat at Tranmere that they’ve cancelled their next game. I know they had to put out most of their youth team, but seriously..........

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Pogba always looks like he’s going to miss every penalty he takes.

In other news Bolton were so traumatised by the 5-0 defeat at Tranmere that they’ve cancelled their next game. I know they had to put out most of their youth team, but seriously..........
The poor 'kids' most of whom are 19 and 20.

Clearly a play by the filth to have their transfer embargo lifted. They've not been punished for not playing the brentford game last season yet - should be another big deduction heading their way

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
They just need to let these clubs die. Allowing football clubs to be freely bought and sold with no ownership restrictions was an obscene act of negligence, but it's the path they've chosen and failure is a part of it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
They just need to let these clubs die. Allowing football clubs to be freely bought and sold with no ownership restrictions was an obscene act of negligence, but it's the path they've chosen and failure is a part of it.
Largely agree but can't have Bolton going bust now and is losing a 5-0

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The poor 'kids' most of whom are 19 and 20.

Clearly a play by the filth to have their transfer embargo lifted. They've not been punished for not playing the brentford game last season yet - should be another big deduction heading their way
Throw them and Bury out. Enough is enough, had long time to sort things and failed.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Basically is. EFL apparently were unaware of Dale taking over at Bury
Sounds like a negligent/crap application of the rules rather than a criticism of the rules themselves tbf.

Company Law textbooks, for instance, regularly use the the EPL/EFL rules as an example of a something that goes "well beyond" the minimum standards for company ownership imposed by the law.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If rules are consistently not applied, then they aren't really rules at all, are they? Same thing ultimately.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, it's more like parliament passing a law saying 'drinking tea after 8pm is illegal, but we aren't actually going to arrest anyone for it'

Utterly pointless

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Nah, it's more like parliament passing a law saying 'drinking tea after 8pm is illegal, but we aren't actually going to arrest anyone for it'

Utterly pointless
Haha, this sounds like my TV analogy again to me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In your analogy you've bought the TV, not plugged it in, and then blamed the TV for not working

But the reality is that the EFL don't apply their own laws. Different I would suggest.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, but in both situations we have x, to be used by y, which is not being used for the purposes for which it was designed. In which case the fault does not (necessarily) lie with x , but with y.

I mean, I agree that a rule that is not enforced/used is pointless, but that does not equate to the rule itself being bad.