• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Their results were always good until recently, but with the exception of the period around the turn of the year, when they were looking better than City, Liverpool haven't played that well all season. With the caveat that I didn't see the Watford game, I've not seen them play well in a couple of months now.

Both sides have pretty kind run-ins, but Liverpool's is marginally kinder IMO. Lots of games that they really shouldn't drop points in.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think both sides should ideally be looking to win all of their remaining games. Whilst this is unlikely to occur for either, it's not an unrealistic aim either.

Liverpool's big possible banana skins for me are the games at home to Spurs and Chelsea, and Newcastle away. On paper I would expect them to win all of those, but I could see Spurs or Chelsea getting a result against them on the day, and Newcastle away is always a bit unpredictable. Southampton away also somewhat unpredictable, but less so.

City's banana skins I guess are the game at home to Spurs and away to Utd. Spurs at home shouldn't on paper be much of a problem, but you never know. Same for the Utd game really.

Both sides are comfortably and considerably better than the rest of the teams they have to face. Should only really drop points in those games if fatigue really becomes an issue, for which there is a much greater risk for Liverpool than City.

andmark

International Captain
I think both sides should ideally be looking to win all of their remaining games. Whilst this is unlikely to occur for either, it's not an unrealistic aim either.

Liverpool's big possible banana skins for me are the games at home to Spurs and Chelsea, and Newcastle away. On paper I would expect them to win all of those, but I could see Spurs or Chelsea getting a result against them on the day, and Newcastle away is always a bit unpredictable. Southampton away also somewhat unpredictable, but less so.

City's banana skins I guess are the game at home to Spurs and away to Utd. Spurs at home shouldn't on paper be much of a problem, but you never know. Same for the Utd game really.

Both sides are comfortably and considerably better than the rest of the teams they have to face. Should only really drop points in those games if fatigue really becomes an issue, for which there is a much greater risk for Liverpool than City.
Yeah, I'd agree with all of that. The only thing which gives me hope is that Man Utd game for City given Utd being on the upswing. Still though, it's surely City's at this point given the comparative lack of midfield creativity for Liverpool.

It was a weird game today which involved little fluid possession. Everton's defenders made some quality last ditch tackles as well which was enjoyable from an objective point of view. Van Dijk also his typical man mountain self and I can see that people saying he's the best defender in the world isn't over-the-top hyperbole.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Their results were always good until recently, but with the exception of the period around the turn of the year, when they were looking better than City, Liverpool haven't played that well all season. With the caveat that I didn't see the Watford game, I've not seen them play well in a couple of months now.

Both sides have pretty kind run-ins, but Liverpool's is marginally kinder IMO. Lots of games that they really shouldn't drop points in.
Yeah I keep seeing these games that they draw and missing the ones they win but they have not been good at all the last few times I have watched them. You could very easily see them only losing one league game all season and City still winning the league fairly comfortably.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still looks on course to be the best title race since the last one that saw these two teams slugging it out

andmark

International Captain
Still looks on course to be the best title race since the last one that saw these two teams slugging it out
Yeah, it's got to be better than one team running away with it. The fourth and even third spots race is also looking exciting. Been a fairly good season.

andmark

International Captain
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47433240

That player rater thing is garbage. Van Dijk being rated lower than the two Everton central defenders reflects the idea that good defending involving things of dispersing of danger before it occurs is unfashionable. There were times when the Everton defenders got a last ditch tackle in which presumably affected their ratings, but surely the best defending is preventing that danger in the first place?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47433240

That player rater thing is garbage. Van Dijk being rated lower than the two Everton central defenders reflects the idea that good defending involving things of dispersing of danger before it occurs is unfashionable. There were times when the Everton defenders got a last ditch tackle in which presumably affected their ratings, but surely the best defending is preventing that danger in the first place?
Or maybe shutting out Mane and Salah is a better achievement than shutting out Calvert-Lewin and Bernard?

andmark

International Captain
Or maybe shutting out Mane and Salah is a better achievement than shutting out Calvert-Lewin and Bernard?
I wouldn't even say they shut Salah out given he created several chances, albeit his shots from those chances were then saved. But then there are other problems with it, like Salah being judges to be the third worst player of the match which is excessively harsh (look to the Liverpool midfield for worse performances) and indeed, Van Dijk again being judge to have played better than only two Everton players.