• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2018-19

andmark

International Captain
According to Arsenal Fan TV, that match meant that much for Rennes that they could've sold 90,000 tickets for it. The Rennes side must have been really up for it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just watching the highlights, what a dreadful 3rd goal to concede. So naive.

Watching the replay I hope Ramsey punched **** out of Monreal in the dressing room.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
It was an enjoyable week of European football. Hopefully more of the same will follow (although Madrid and PSG ****ing up can't be topped).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
According to Arsenal Fan TV, that match meant that much for Rennes that they could've sold 90,000 tickets for it. The Rennes side must have been really up for it.
They beat a very good Betis side in the last round too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
If rumours are to be believed, we were interested in him as an alternative to Nasri if that deal fell through.
Yeah he was heavily linked at one time.

Wenger never went near players like him (i.e. highly volatile, divisive, and likely to upset everyone around them) with a barge pole though.

It's one of the most underappreciated aspects of Wenger's management imo. Like Ferguson, once some sort of disciplinary issue came up it was always nipped in the bud almost immediately. And the player in question would often be moved on. He didn't suffer any crap like that.

Just a shame he didn't take a similar attitude to players who were crap.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah probably. Seemed the sort of player I think Wenger might have been able to get the best out of.
Yeah, agree. I suspect Wenger had a look at him and just decided all things considered it wasn't worth the aggravation.

No disrespect to Newcastle etc. But there's no way a player that talented should have been so easy for a club, with the stature they had at the time, to pick up at that point in his career.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he was heavily linked at one time.

Wenger never went near players like him (i.e. highly volatile, divisive, and likely to upset everyone around them) with a barge pole though.

It's one of the most underappreciated aspects of Wenger's management imo. Like Ferguson, once some sort of disciplinary issue came up it was always nipped in the bud almost immediately. And the player in question would often be moved on. He didn't suffer any crap like that.

Just a shame he didn't take a similar attitude to players who were crap.
I don’t think that’s true. Adebayor, Anelka, Nasri, Gallas. He tried to sign Suarez. If anything he signed players other managers didn’t trust and got the best out of them before moving them on for a big profit.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Yeah and Gallas was captain as well wasn't he? Recall them collapsing in the 2008 run-in after his outburst against Birmingham I think it was. Probably wasn't entirely down to that outburst but it can't have helped and he remained an Arsenal player for two or three years afterwards.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ah with Gallas I thought he was shunted at the end of the season. Didn't realise he was around longer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don’t think that’s true. Adebayor, Anelka, Nasri, Gallas. He tried to sign Suarez. If anything he signed players other managers didn’t trust and got the best out of them before moving them on for a big profit.
I thought it was post Wenger where Anelka acted like a clown?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
He acted like a real **** in the Summer of 99, and was immediately sold.

More ****ish behaviour followed in later years though.
Yeah I remember him going on strike at Real Madrid and I'm pretty sure he fell out with people at PSG quite quickly. Maybe it was the fact it happened in a summer rather than during the season, my recollection of Anelka to Real was that they made a huge bid which couldn't really be turned down.

I'd be surprised given his age if he had a reputation of being difficult before he went to Arsenal.