• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone know what Sean Dyche was talking about? I haven't seen any of the Burnley game. He said it probably was a penalty but there's one bit of doubt and he's raging. He then said It was "highly unlikely it was not going to get given on a day like today, that's all I will say." That does that even mean?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anyone know what Sean Dyche was talking about? I haven't seen any of the Burnley game. He said it probably was a penalty but there's one bit of doubt and he's raging. He then said It was "highly unlikely it was not going to get given on a day like today, that's all I will say." That does that even mean?
There was plenty of evidence this was the case as Mustafi was getting penalised for breathing on Ashley Barnes too heavily. So not surprising a push to the back was penalised. Maybe that's what he means (it's not).

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure he was sort of looked on as a bit of a maverick Brian Clough type rather than just an obnoxious turd. I think the turgid football started when he need to blunt Barcelona's so-called tica taca. He turned Real Madrid into West Brom and it worked.
Nah you’re way off here, Chelsea 1 were the most defensive team he’s coached by far. His Real Madrid team holds the record for most goals in a season ever.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Nah you’re way off here, Chelsea 1 were the most defensive team he’s coached by far. His Real Madrid team holds the record for most goals in a season ever.
Goals scored against the lesser opposition. He still does that now and did at Chelsea, but the big games he stifles the opposition and kills the game. A tactic he devised to stop Barcelona. He even won the Champions League in 2010 with Inter Milan playing very defensively in the latter stages.
Though having said that the most wretched performance in a big game I can remember from a team of his was the Porto/Celtic Final. That was more gamesmanship than anything. So perhaps he has always been a prick. :devil2:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pseudo-philosophical attempt to get around being fined for calling the ref a ****.

Uppercut

Haha yeah I loved it. Celtic are among the least convincing innocent victims of *********ry.

EDIT: uhm, poo-housery

Also just noticed that Porto's winning goal was scored after someone stayed on his feet when the penalty-winning dive was there for the taking. Bit ironic.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha yeah I loved it. Celtic are among the least convincing innocent victims of *********ry.

EDIT: uhm, poo-housery

Also just noticed that Porto's winning goal was scored after someone stayed on his feet when the penalty-winning dive was there for the taking. Bit ironic.
It was just galling for a team with Stilian 'The Submarine' Petrov and Chris ****ing Sutton to whinge about diving.

Cow

Banned
Massive game between Arsenal and United on Sunday. Arsenal have run into a bit form and will be looking to continue that run at home. United looked poor against Brighton but got the 3 points... City now have Southampton and West Ham at home... I think if United lose on Sunday and City go 11 points clear, that'll be the league over.

Uppercut

Selling either of them in Jan would be just about the worst thing they could do now imo.
Depends how much they get for them surely? Also might be able to flog them overseas if they let them go in January.

I get that it wouldn’t feel right given that the team are playing well. But they’re still only pushing for top 4 and it doesn’t seem like anyone is really missing the CL anyway. The back end of the season might be a decent adjustment period to life after they leave.

I dunno, if I were an Arsenal fan I would probably just want to enjoy seeing them play while I can, but I can definitely see an argument for letting them go.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I imagine it will be a draw. Tends to be what usually happens when a fairly unimpressive Mourinho team plays away to a fairly in-form Arsenal.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Depends how much they get for them surely? Also might be able to flog them overseas if they let them go in January.

I get that it wouldn’t feel right given that the team are playing well. But they’re still only pushing for top 4 and it doesn’t seem like anyone is really missing the CL anyway. The back end of the season might be a decent adjustment period to life after they leave.

I dunno, if I were an Arsenal fan I would probably just want to enjoy seeing them play while I can, but I can definitely see an argument for letting them go.
Yeah, fair shout. But if they're sold, what then? Surely replacements will be needed if there are any serious ambitions to achieve anything this season, and I can't think of anyone who'd actually be any good who'd be available. It's not like Arsenal are short on cash, so in my head it'd be a case of either a) lose them now, get the money, make do on threadbare team until end of season, spend in summer, or b) keep them till summer, lose them for nothing, spend money.

The prospect of having Sanchez and Ozil replaced by Iwobi and Wilshere for the rest of the season doesn't exactly fill me with optimism, and I say that as someone who has no real objection to either of those players. Quite a fan of Iwobi actually, but he's not in the same league as Sanchez obviously.