• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2015-16

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The only goals Chelsea have scored in September that weren't against pub sides or with a numerical advantage have been long range screamers or crosses that have gone in without a touch.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The only goals Chelsea have scored in September that weren't against pub sides or with a numerical advantage have been long range screamers or crosses that have gone in without a touch.
League one sides aren't pub sides. **** off

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good decision in the Division 2 match on the offside by Linesman and ref to disallow the goal, I imagine the convo went like this.

Ref: was it offside
Lino: marginal, should really give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker
Ref: yeah but it's ****ing Leeds
Lino: oh yeah, **** it, Offside.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Brentford sack their manager after 9 matches. At some point their owners are going to realise they grossly overachieved last season. Lee Carsley being in charge "until the end of the season" will probably last 3 matches if he doesn't win any of them.

Eds

International Debutant
Brentford sack their manager after 9 matches. At some point their owners are going to realise they grossly overachieved last season. Lee Carsley being in charge "until the end of the season" will probably last 3 matches if he doesn't win any of them.
I don't think it's an issue of achievement, rather philosophy.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think it's an issue of achievement, rather philosophy.
The old 'philosophy' seemed to be working though, from an outsider's perspective.

That being said, Pothas didn't seem too disheartened last season by it all, trusting that the ownership knew what they were doing. My concern was it my club would be to have appeared to have abandoned such a 'philosophy' before it's had any real time to be implemented. We did a similar thing last summer however the ownership had changed and the danger to us was a lot more critical. Of course, we went down anyway but in the process new ideas were being brought to the table that made relegation a setback rather than a disaster as we had been going in the wrong direction, whereas you get the feeling with the Bees that relegation would undo all the good work of the past few years.

I don't know. Tough one, really. Football being as it is it's easy to see why the new guys weren't given as much time as perhaps they should have been, but as I say from an outsiders perspective it all seems a little impulsive having got rid of a manager that had brought them more success than any other in at least a generation.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If anything the Brentford owners thought they overachieved last season, which is one of the reasons they ended up sacking their coach after a great season results wise.

Weird post from LT.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I don't think the manager in charge really effects their overall philosophy that much. My understanding is that their club structure means a manager does less than a traditional English 'gaffer'. Still really weird to sack their coach so early though. I can't claim to follow the club much but didn't they lose two of their big summer signings to injury before the league even began?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strange day, I really don't want to become one 'those' clubs but I am still going to trust Benham for now. Warburton never left because of the results, I think everyone knows that, it was simply because he could not work under the new structure that Benham wanted. It was a huge shame but that was that. Again I can't believe that this sacking was because of results on the pitch, they have been poor but we have had a ridiculous injury situation, last year we hardly got any at all. It might prove a brave and correct decision, at least I hope so. Carsley is also bald, back to a winning formula that.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If anything the Brentford owners thought they overachieved last season, which is one of the reasons they ended up sacking their coach after a great season results wise.

Weird post from LT.
Nonsense. They didn't think they overachieved and it had absolutely nothing to do with why he left.
He left because he didn't agree with the continental coaching/player recruitment structure they wanted to bring in to replace the traditional manager/assistant manager. Had he agreed to fit in with the new structure he would have stayed and not been sacked.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The old 'philosophy' seemed to be working though, from an outsider's perspective.

That being said, Pothas didn't seem too disheartened last season by it all, trusting that the ownership knew what they were doing. My concern was it my club would be to have appeared to have abandoned such a 'philosophy' before it's had any real time to be implemented. We did a similar thing last summer however the ownership had changed and the danger to us was a lot more critical. Of course, we went down anyway but in the process new ideas were being brought to the table that made relegation a setback rather than a disaster as we had been going in the wrong direction, whereas you get the feeling with the Bees that relegation would undo all the good work of the past few years.

I don't know. Tough one, really. Football being as it is it's easy to see why the new guys weren't given as much time as perhaps they should have been, but as I say from an outsiders perspective it all seems a little impulsive having got rid of a manager that had brought them more success than any other in at least a generation.
Meh, constantly sacking managers hasn't done Watford any harm at all. It can work.

I think there's a feeling of unfairness at someone being sacked immediately after starting a new job, but given the payoffs involved it's silly of us to feel that way. The managers don't always do a huge amount, the club is set up to encourage as much continuity as possible from one manager to the next, so the fewer ideas of their own they have the better. In a sense they're just being paid millions to take the fall when the team has a bad run of games.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ordered beIN Sports a few weeks back, thoroughly enjoying their huge range of football but **** me it's in SD which is frustrating. For an extra $20 a month you'd think they could shoot some HD signals out.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
What's probably annoyed me most so far about BTs coverage of the Champions League so far is the red button games aren't in HD. So if you want to watch a CL/EL game that they're not showing on the two main channels, you get worse picture quality. At the same time they keep going on about this "ultra HD" they have for a few games which only a small percentage of customers get, but they don't even have normal HD for most of their games.

Having said that I've still only got Sky Sports in SD, so it's not as if I feel like I'm going back five years when watching it. Just frustratingly incompetent.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What's probably annoyed me most so far about BTs coverage of the Champions League so far is the red button games aren't in HD. So if you want to watch a CL/EL game that they're not showing on the two main channels, you get worse picture quality.
Yeah that happens here with Fox Sports and their Premier League coverage. The Saturday middle-afternoon games are all shown on one channel with the red button and the button games are all SD, plus you can't record them. Frustratingly archaic.