• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Eds

International Debutant
Yeah, how could he drop Balotelli, Gerrard, Johnson, Lovren? They're all clearly in the form of their lives.

Admitting he can't win the game, right there.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Liverpool are hugely lucky that Basel botched it against Ludo Razgd in their first game. A win for Basel tonight and 'pool would have more or less been gone. As things are, a win for Basel tonight will still make life tough for Liverpool.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, how could he drop Balotelli, Gerrard, Johnson, Lovren? They're all clearly in the form of their lives.

This is obtuse, as he clearly regards them as being part of his strongest side.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

Come on, if he honestly was setting out to win such a high profile game, there is no way he would: start a 20 year old who's played less than 15 top flight games in his entire career at right back; play Kolo Toure; and drop the talismanic captain and the other most experienced players.

Bad form or no, the players you mention here would clearly start in his strongest XI.

Eds

International Debutant
This is obtuse, as he clearly regards them as being part of his strongest side.
I'd sort of hope that there's no such thing as a 'strongest side' and his ideal XI varies depending on the game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'd sort of hope that there's no such thing as a 'strongest side' and his ideal XI varies depending on the game.
I'd be extremely alarmed as a Liverpool fan if he thought his ideal XI for facing a team that has Ronaldo in it includes Kolo Toure tbh.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well this XI certainly screams taking on the champions of Europe

Will probably work now mind you :p

Eds

International Debutant
Come on, if he honestly was setting out to win such a high profile game, there is no way he would: start a 20 year old who's played less than 15 top flight games in his entire career at right back; play Kolo Toure; and drop the talismanic captain and the other most experienced players.

Bad form or no, the players you mention here would clearly start in his strongest XI.
With the exception of Lucas & Markovic, I genuinely believe the replacements are generally on a similar level to the player they've replaced.

Manquillo is clearly a better player than Johnson, for example. It's clearly a good decision in isolation.

Tom Halsey

International Coach

Haha yeah. If Rodgers genuinely thinks out of all of his available squad that this side is the one that is best equipped to win the game then Liverpool are in worse shape than even I thought they were.

Eds

International Debutant
There's a couple of decisions that seem to be purely for resting, a la Sterling and Henderson, and those I obviously disagree with. But the other four have hardly had a good game all season. I just don't think it's outrageous that they're dropped.

This is probably the closest we can field to a strong defensive team. Two proper DM shields, and no Lovren, Johnson, Enrique.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd be more alarmed if it included Dejan Lovren. Seriously.
He has been a bad signing so far but you can't seriously say that Can and Lucas are a better option than Gerrard and Henderson are in midfield?

To sum it up, I bet all 6 of the outfield subs start against Chelsea.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
With the exception of Lucas & Markovic, I genuinely believe the replacements are generally on a similar level to the player they've replaced.

Manquillo is clearly a better player than Johnson, for example. It's clearly a good decision in isolation.
Undoubtedly you will have seen more of him than I have, but do you not feel you are getting a bit carried away here? By no means do I rate Glen Johnson, but Manquillo has only ever played a handful of games. It's far too early to be making these sorts of determinations about his overall ability for mine.

Eds

International Debutant
He has been a bad signing so far but you can't seriously say that Can and Lucas are a better option than Gerrard and Henderson are in midfield?
I'd go with Can and Henderson personally. But I can see why he's gone for Lucas.

Definitely wouldn't be playing Gerrard in his normal holding role. Not against Real Madrid.

Eds

International Debutant
Undoubtedly you will have seen more of him than I have, but do you not feel you are getting a bit carried away here? By no means do I rate Glen Johnson, but Manquillo has only ever played a handful of games. It's far too early to be making these sorts of determinations about his overall ability for mine.
To be honest, I probably am getting a bit carried away in this thread generally. I've read huge sections of LFC's fanbase urge Rodgers to drop each of Balotelli, Lovren, Gerrard, Johnson, for weeks now. He finally does it and there's outrage. This sort of thing happens all the time in football and it ****s me off no end.

As for Manquillo v Johnson; I can't name a good game Johnson's had in the past 18 months. I watch every Liverpool game, and I genuinely can't remember one. He was a really good player once upon a time, but he's been really poor for a really long time. As opposed to Manquillo, who's had maybe one or two bad games since joining. It might be a risk that Manquillo does really poorly, but for me it's nailed on that Johnson does.

EDIT: Maybe lot of these players will come in against Chelsea, but we all know Mourinho will come to Anfield and shut up shop. It's a completely different type of game.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it's a perfectly logical decision. But come on, this is Liverpool, they're probably the most sentimental team in the world. The hardest core of fans that are travelling have looked forward to the game since the draw. The whole fanbase has waited for years outside the Champions League to see games like this. What about the players? If Gerrard or Sterling could pick the game they most want to play in this season it'd probably be this one. How are they going to react? What about the old-timers on the board? I'd say there's a good chance someone like Dalglish won't approve at all.

He's basically alienating everyone that matters.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think it's a perfectly logical decision. But come on, this is Liverpool, they're probably the most sentimental team in the world. The hardest core of fans that are travelling have looked forward to the game since the draw. The whole fanbase has waited for years outside the Champions League to see games like this. What about the players? If Gerrard or Sterling could pick the game they most want to play in this season it'd probably be this one. How are they going to react? What about the old-timers on the board? I'd say there's a good chance someone like Dalglish won't approve at all.

He's basically alienating everyone that matters.
Tbf most fans would be annoyed at travelling that way to watch them throw in the towel before kick off.

IMO if he plays Gerrard the complaints go away, though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Which was a complete jome as Premier League rules mandate you name a 25 man squad then cined Holloway for picking an XI from that 25 man squad.
Yep and hence why UEFA won't or shouldn't be able to penalise Liverpool for this, or why they can't do anything about the Europa League being ****