• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, there's so much of the criticism which just isn't true and is plainly wrong. Uppercut is usually really good for being one of the ones to call out lazy media stereotypes for what they are but I'm really not on board with him on this one.

Özil is still one of the best in the world at what he does, it's just he's also relatively reliant on certain other factors to be really magnificently effective. I mean, Santi Cazorla is a phenomenal footballer but there's a reason that when Özil took his spot in behind the striker our performance as a side went through the roof. He's not a Bale or Suarez in the sense he won't pick the ball up 40 yards out and score a magnificent solo goal but he brings so many other things to the table (not saying they don't ftr). His movement is phenomenal, he creates so much space for players i.e. Ramsey in the early part of the season. Footballing intelligence is beyond belief and he's got the vision and technical ability to utilise it. These all sound like cliches, I can appreciate, but go look at Giroud's second against Everton where Özil literally pointed to Giroud where he wanted him to run and then he rolled it perfectly into his stride. That in turn kinda goes to demonstrate a further point - that at times his effect is somewhat nullified by his own team mates. Giroud does a lot of good work with his back to goal but his movement's not great besides front post runs, he doesn't stretch teams in behind and he misses an awful lot of chances; its easy just to look at assist numbers and forget about the chances that are spurned.

I dunno, it's certain other things that annoy me too. If I hear one more criticism of his lack of running or effort I'll explode. I've watched him live a few times this year and he almost never stops moving and game after game he's up there in terms of ground covered.

I just think next season he's going to make everybody look stupid - a further improved (and fit) Ramsey, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain and a truly world class striker and he'll run the show.

Regardless of all that, statistically he's been just as good as (if not better than) almost every other similar player in their first season in the PL.

Probably a huge overreaction but I do genuinely find that the way the media treat/portray Arsenal is a bit of a joke but I guess every fan of any team says that sort of thing at some point. Just as an example I saw an article earlier that listed "10 reasons why everybody should want Liverpool to win the league" - I got through "they've not won it for ages", "lower transfer spend than rivals", "genius manager" before giving up.
Honestly you haven't said much I disagree with there at all. I just think his form has dipped in the past couple of months. Ramsey and Walcott's injuries were huge, really not getting enough credit from the media. But then you could also say it's exposed Ozil's limitations.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
WHO'D HAVE THOUGHT NOT PURCHASING ANY DECENT CENTERBACKS WOULD COME BACK TO BITE US IN THE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TWICE.

Oh wait, everyone did. Let's buy another striker tho.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
City hard done by in as much as they were penalised for a non foul in Barca's half but Jesus what was lescott doing, and tbf City had a bit of luck ref wise first half

They had been playing well. Ah well.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I find myself rooting against Barca these days as it's tedious to watch them. Almost every contact is exaggerated into a foul; it's taking the piss now.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
It was a terrible goal from City's point of view, given they lost the ball terribly as well before any defensive **** ups.

I think the most disappointing thing is just how much of a let-down the tie has been. Fair to say that expectations were higher than Barca winning 3-0 (as it stands) at an absolute canter. Barcelona scoring 3 times is hardly unexpected but City threatening as little as they have is a disappointment.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Stonewall penalty denied for City now - right in front of the ref - and the protestors are getting sent off.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Barca were the better team, but City had enough chances. If they had been more clinical I think Barca would have **** themselves.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just can't wait for City and the likes of Aguero, Yaya Toure and Fernandinho to be lambasted in the press now.
I mean, City are only 'claiming' Aguero is injured after that first half right? Fernandinho the £35m flop?
Arsenal going out to Bayern was the 'ultimate failure' and City were meant to have the easier tie so that's an even bigger failure, no?
I know this isn't anything anyone has said in here but #bitter

Refereeing was an absolute joke this evening. City should have had a pen but so should Barca and they had a perfectly legitimate goal ruled out too. Zabaleta's red not an issue for me either, I get the frustration but don't be bloody stupid enough to touch the ref.

Still think the love in with Kompany needs to stop.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I only caught the first half but I thought Citeh improved on the first leg. Barca's back four defended much better than I'd expected though, lots of really nice interceptions.

The tie was basically decided completely by the Demichelis incident. Put an actual footballer beside Kompany and it could've been interesting.