• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Well the logic is that, you could have some geezer from overseas playing for, say, West Ham for five years and then standard residency rules would mean Wales could pick him even if he'd never even eaten roast lamb
The current rule already has a clause that allows players to represent one of the four constituent UK nations that they have no birth, parental or grandparental (is that a word?) ties to if they lived there for five years before the age of eighteen, doesn't it? Rhodes qualifies for Scotland because of it and yer Taffs were interested in Shawcross too.

Could just be extended to five years at any age, but they have to have lived in the actual home nation, not just anywhere in the UK. So yer man in the example could only embrace his inner Leekist if he'd played for (say) Swansea or Cardiff.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's a bit of a nonsense, the rule.

I mean, if Spain & Germany, who aren't exactly short of talent, allow foreign-born players to qualify on residence, why don't we?

I think one of Rangers' Italians wanted to play for Scotland too, but was rebuffed because of it. Amoruso, maybe?
Because of our unique situation whereby one nation (the United Kingdom) has 4 nations that play football. If you change the rules then it would make me, as a UK passport holder, eligible for all 4 Home Nations.

edit: the rule effectively stops England poaching the best of British talent. If you allowed people to qualify based on residency then the FA could have had a quiet word with Gareth Bale and asked him not to represent Wales, live in England for 5 years and play for England.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey Januzaj turned down his Kosovo call up which is a boost for the FA apparently, but it's not right?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Because of our unique situation whereby one nation (the United Kingdom) has 4 nations that play football. If you change the rules then it would make me, as a UK passport holder, eligible for all 4 Home Nations.

edit: the rule effectively stops England poaching the best of British talent. If you allowed people to qualify based on residency then the FA could have had a quiet word with Gareth Bale and asked him not to represent Wales, live in England for 5 years and play for England.
We'd be a net supplier, tbh. Ireland have been using Englishmen with an Irish parent/grandparent for decades & you chaps have got with the programme in later years too: Quashie, Morrison, Bardsley, Matt Phillips, Danny Fox & that ex Wimbledon and Spuds keeper whose name escapes me.

Few years back and we'd maybe have swiped a few Scots, but now, not so much.

Rugby has a workable residency rule (you have a Dutchman playing on the wing when not broken), so it's not an insurmountable problem for football, IMHO.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
We'd be a net supplier, tbh. Ireland have been using Englishmen with an Irish parent/grandparent for decades & you chaps have got with the programme in later years too: Quashie, Morrison, Bardsley, Matt Phillips, Danny Fox & that ex Wimbledon and Spuds keeper whose name escapes me.

Few years back and we'd maybe have swiped a few Scots, but now, not so much.

Rugby has a workable residency rule (you have a Dutchman playing on the wing when not broken), so it's not an insurmountable problem for football, IMHO.
All your examples are players not good enough to play for England; there's a difference between that and players like Bale, Darren Fletcher, Jonny Evans etc who play most/all of their club football in England and could switch.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So, I kinow only me and Pickup will be interested in this, but what the hey. Let me set the scene, D'Urso has already not given two very good shouts for a pen, coming into the last minute, this happens:

So okay, looks a pretty clear pen to me, two-footed challenge, makes contact in the box, but the fact is D'Urso is there yards away. After the melee, he consults with his linesmen and then says Wheeler has dived. Talk about totally losing control of the match. Utterly bizarre.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Saw it on SSN this morning. Would need to see a replay, looks a stonewaller from that angle but also looks like he could have thrown himself down.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
All your examples are players not good enough to play for England; there's a difference between that and players like Bale, Darren Fletcher, Jonny Evans etc who play most/all of their club football in England and could switch.
Well we can't factor in a "talent" clause, can we?

If someone wants to play for a nation other than their own because they adjudge them "better", they're not much of a patriot, are they? I mean, we'd have loved the likes of Dalglish, Law, Souness or Hansen, but I seriously couldn't have seen any of them doing it.

It's not like with cricket where we can offer the Irish lads test cricket which would otherwise be denied them.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Saw it on SSN this morning. Would need to see a replay, looks a stonewaller from that angle but also looks like he could have thrown himself down.
Yeah, it's tough to tell from that angle. It's the kind of one you'd expect the ref to get right though, considering where he's stood.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Got to put this away....

Edit: Just as well Howard Webb isn't reffing tonight.

EDIT: WHAT A ****HOUSE PEN. ****ing hell.