• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

cover drive man

International Captain
Brilliant debut. Although with the hysteria after last night I think now's the time to get the best odds on manure for the league.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ashley Young is in some ways a typical English player - he's a trier, likes a shot, isn't brilliant technically. For these things a typical English fan will see him as a good player. In reality he's nothing special and he's one of the most ball-greedy players I've seen at the top level. The fans will ooh and aah as he takes on someone, flashes a 30 yarder just wide and so on. The manager will get annoyed as yet another attack breaks down because he's gone for another poor percentage option. He's like the polar opposite to the CDMs who try to walk the ball in. He wants to create a goal with one pass or shot.

As the season goes on the more knowledgeable Manure fans will start to get frustrated with him. Statistically and on the highlights reel someone like Young will look good, but in actuality he's nothing special. A lot of Aston Villa fans rated Downing as their best player last season, not Young.

duffer

Apparently Marseille turned down a bid for Lucho Gonzalez because they didn't think 15 days was long enough to sign a replacement. This is what worries me regarding replacing Cesc, Nasri and signing defenders. We've left it so late that top signings are going to be difficult to come by or really expensive.

Mata, Hazard, Jagielka etc might just be a dream now. Although Valencia did sign Piatti, so they might be tempted with a big bid.

edit: And gunnerblog reckons City are offering Nasri 200k a week with a 5m signing on fee. Good god, I can't blame club or player on this one. Just horrible timing. Fear that if Robin has a storming season we'll be back in the same boat next season with City,Chelsea and Madrid.

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Your problem there is "a big bid".

According to a reasonably reliable ITK, Nasri is en route to a medical now. Unsure of whether I actually want him, frontrunner imo. Still got fingers crossed for a Tevez/Sneijder deal by the end of the window.

duffer

You don't want him? He's a class player, inconsistent but fmd he's so talented. This hurts because he was the natural Cesc replacement and can run a team and was willing to stay if he got parity with Cesc in terms of wages (which knowing that Cesc wanted out we should've given him).

Sort of just consoled by the fact Ferguson hasn't gotten his hands on him. He wouldve turned him into a monster.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah he's got talent and I think he's a top player, but only when things are going well within the team. You rarely see him imposing himself on a game, at least I didn't but I'll confess to not watching as much Arsenal last season as in previous years. I dunno, I'm happy to trust Mancini, he hasn't made a howler of a purchase yet afaic.

duffer

He might look like a lesbian but he did carry our team for a large chunk of last season and scored some incredible goals in big moments, tbh we were purring along nicely until Cesc came back and Nasri was forced out wide again. Chuck him just ahead of two DM's (pick any, you've got a few) and this guy will be nasty. You might disagree but think he's got more about him than Silva.

Probably the first player we've sold to you guys who we really didn't want to sell.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I'm fairly sure that if he comes here he'll be shoved out wide, which is almost pointless. Funnily enough, all the idiots on bluemoon are trying to claim he's a better winger than a central midfielder, which says all you need to know about the general intelligence of most of the English population.

I think he certainly has more end product in terms of goals than Silva. In terms of vision and view of the game, I disagree.

duffer

Might work differently without a Cesc type player who everything went through, it depends how much time he has the ball, if someone's constantly feeding him he's in his element and you guys have enough hard working players to get it to him. He's far less effective as a 1a or 1b type player though, which I guess can also be said of a guy like Arshavin who we haven't made the most of. Best defensive record in the league last season and adding Nasri and Aguero is a really good summer for you guys tbh.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Yeah, looks like we could be rid of Adebayor (Tottenham), Bellamy (Celtic), SWP (Bolton) and Bridge (Newcastle) as well, which means if we add one more like the rumours persist and either swap Tevez/keep him, it's been a significant step forward this summer. I do personally hope this proposed swap for Tevez comes off though, I think we have one too many forwards and we're short one top line attacking midfielder. I doubt it will though. A man can dream...

Woodster

International Captain
Just to jump in on your Nasri - Silva debate, I think the fact that Silva played so much last season, means we at least have a replacement for him should he pick up an injury or be given a rest (if Nasri signs). Without him at times last season our creativity took a serious hit, so this should benefit Silva also.

Certainly for the first part of last season Nasri looked the genuine real deal, he was on fire, but that seemed to peter out as the season progressed. Fatigue ? Or just being pushed wider on the park ?

In terms of where he'll play for City, I think there is a good chance he could be used in a three-man midfield when we're looking to be more attacking, so in place of Gareth Barry. He may not quite have the licence to do as he pleases, but will naturally support the front three and link up more effectively than Barry.

As you guys have alluded to, his best position may well be in Silva's position with the freedom to roam as he pleases, but from what I've seen, he doesn't have the creativity, skill, vision and touch to match Silva, but could well prove a more than useful addition.

duffer

Less effective as he became the team's second option and had to operate in wide areas. Disagree with your assessment of his abilities though, guy has all the tools.