• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

biased indian

International Coach
Didn't stop New Zealand from picking Rory Fallon :unsure::blink:
From wiki
In January 2006, New Zealand coach Ricki Herbert suggested that Fallon might still get a chance to represent New Zealand at senior level. Herbert claimed that the only reason why Fallon wasn’t picked was due to lack of correspondence from FIFA regarding this matter. Fallon had until he was 21 years old to get clearance from FIFA to change nationalities. It found, however, that Fallon did not apply in the 2004 window to change allegiance for over-21s players. This year-long window was made available by FIFA upon introduction of a rule which allows players with dual nationality to switch their allegiance before their 21st birthday. Under this criterion Fallon could not be available for New Zealand. On 3 June 2009, FIFA Congress passed a motion removing the age limit for changing associations for players who had already played for a country's national team at youth level under article 18 of the Regulations Governing the Application of the FIFA Statutes. This allowed for the possibility of Fallon again representing New Zealand.[7]

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For young mid-fielders only Wilshire & Rodwell (to a level) are better.

So if he could have qualified under residency rules next-year. I think he was worth tempting, since i have a sneaky feeling Brazil would have continued to overlook him, given the lack of first-team oppurtunity time he gets @ Arsenal.

SMFH.
He's been injured. When fit Denilson plays a lot. Has a heap of talent but unless he grows a pair won't make the most of it.

edit: Although Ramsey did displace him before his injury happened.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's technically not bad at all but I struggle to see what role in football he can actually play. He's not creative enough to be an effective attacking midfielder or winger and he's nowhere near good enough defensively to play a holding role. Needs to improve on his weaknesses immeasurably before he'll be any use.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's Arsenal's Lucas.
Probably worse tbh.

As others have said, he seems to have a pretty decent technique and general ability, but unfortunately he doesn't have enough physicality, work rate, bottle or enough of a brain to make it any use.

Jarquis

Don't think he'd ever cut it in a 2 man central midfield role, but seeing as we play 4-3-3 he's not a bad option.
You have the defensive ball winner in Song, and then the creative, attacking player in Cesc.
Denilson works pretty well as a link between those two, he's adept at tackling, though not a great holding midfielder and he has the eye and ability to make some good passes, keeping possession of the ball and giving it to those in space.
I just worry about his work rate and the mental side to his game. He shows glimpses of talent but seems to have made very little progression over the last few years.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Don't think he'd ever cut it in a 2 man central midfield role, but seeing as we play 4-3-3 he's not a bad option.
You have the defensive ball winner in Song, and then the creative, attacking player in Cesc.
Denilson works pretty well as a link between those two, he's adept at tackling, though not a great holding midfielder and he has the eye and ability to make some good passes, keeping possession of the ball and giving it to those in space.
I just worry about his work rate and the mental side to his game. He shows glimpses of talent but seems to have made very little progression over the last few years.
So he's okay if someone else is doing all the hard bits for him?

Jarquis

So he's okay if someone else is doing all the hard bits for him?
:laugh: Yeah, but it's not like we carry him (though sometimes we have done) it's that we can let him contribute in both of his equally limited ways.
If in a two man midfield he had to be either the defensive or offensive minded player, deficiencies in his game would leave him exposed. But in a 3 man midfield, in the spare role, he can do a bit of both. And when on form, in "must not lose" games, he sures up our midfield a lot more than a Diaby/Wilshere/Rosicky would.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Massively DWTA tbh. Rosicky's ability to work hard and throw himself into tackles is very underated. Would much rather see either Diaby or Wilshere in there ahead of him as well. Noot to mention the likes of Ramsey or even Eboue. Denilson really brings nothing to the side that isn't readily available in greater quantity/quality from other players already in the squad imo. He really is a passenger in the side most of the time. Occasionally fires in a decent free kick, but so often he is just a bits and pieces player, and that is being kind.

Jarquis

The idea of Eboue in central midfield is one that horrifies me. And while Rosicky generally doesn like to put in a tackle and definitely doesn't shy out, I'm not sureI would say he's a better defensive player than Denilson tbph. Also the problem with Rosicky over the last 2 seasons is that he's never, ever been fit.
Diaby blows extreme hot and cold, if he can add some consistency to his game then he's ahead of Denilson for sure. But Diaby goes completely missing all too often still, and for a player of his size he doesn't really contribute much in defence.
Wilshere's too early to tell IMO. Looked better in the last few games but if Denilson had been fit, he would've started at Anfield IMO.

Craig

World Traveller
I don't understand why Wenger just won't get rid of him. But then if you're Brazilian, people think you're good at football.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You've been after Novo for donkey's years, tbf.

Plus I'd guess more Englishmen have played for Scotland than vice versa. Off top of head there's Goram, McCall, Sullivan, Hutchison, Quashie & Andy Gray (the poo one who used to play for Leeds & Forest). Only Scot to play for us I know is Joe Baker, although I guess you can make case for Trevor Steven as Berwick's v much a border town.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't understand why Wenger just won't get rid of him. But then if you're Brazilian, people think you're good at football.
Had Ramsey not become injured and kept up his run of form then Denilson's place in the squad would be looking very dubious indeed imo. I suspect were it not for the fact that he counts as a home grown player he may well have been shown the door already.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You've been after Novo for donkey's years, tbf.

Plus I'd guess more Englishmen have played for Scotland than vice versa. Off top of head there's Goram, McCall, Sullivan, Hutchison, Quashie & Andy Gray (the poo one who used to play for Leeds & Forest). Only Scot to play for us I know is Joe Baker, although I guess you can make case for Trevor Steven as Berwick's v much a border town.
I don't think the SFA ever seriously wanted Nacho Novo, think that was always a pipe dream for some.

Goram and McCall had Scottish parents so weren't English. :p