• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
BBC SPORT | Football | Premier League | Predictor

I have United two points ahead of Arsenal, both teams having played 36 games.
I've left the United vs Arsenal and United vs Chelsea games untipped.
Which means there's an Arsenal game that hasn't been fixtured yet? Spurs?
So... if United beat Chelsea we have to win our two games, if United draw with Chelsea a win and a draw is enough and if United lose to Chelsea we have to win one of those two games.

Just a shame the Arsenal vs United game is before the Chelsea one.
Wolves, West Brom and West Ham going down. Wigan stay up by a point.

May have been a little enthusiastic with the Arsenal fixtures...

Edit, and with West Ham's for that matter :laugh:

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

May have been a little enthusiastic with the Arsenal fixtures...

Edit, and with West Ham's for that matter :laugh:
I'd love for you to be right but United will pick up more than 21 points from their last 13 games and Birmingham will pick up more than 5(!) from the available 42 :p

Reckon I'm a bit off with my United/Arsenal points. They'll drop more.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Haha I guess I really do not rate poor old Brum, though they have been a little better as of late tbf to them. Still think I prefer them to Stoke. But yes, I daresay in actual fact they will manage to scrape together more than 5 points from their remaning games.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I have United to finish on 79 points with Arsenal on 78, having accounted for the extra fixtures not included in that predictor.

shivfan

Banned
Heh @ Wham seemingly getting the nod over Spurs for the Olympic stadium.
Good....
:cool:
At least West Ham are planning to keep the running track. That way, London can always bid for future international athletics events, such as the World Champs, while Spurs only seems to care about football.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Having said that, I saw an interview with Alan Sugar moaning about this decision earlier on, and I couldn't really disagree with a lot of what he said. It's true that football stadiums which encompass athletics tracks around their perimeter are generally poor and disliked by fans, just look at the debacle involving the two Turin sides for a perfect illustration of this. Also, how any athletics events are likely to be staged at the ground regardless of who the footballing tenant there is? Trying to maintain the ground purely on the basis of preserving the Olympic spirit or whatever it is doesn't seem to make good sense, economically or for a variety of other reasons. Much as I'm glad it looks like Spurs are going to miss out on getting the ground, I have to say the logic behind the decision (if it turns out as has been predicted) appears to be tenuous at best.

shivfan

Banned
Having said that, I saw an interview with Alan Sugar moaning about this decision earlier on, and I couldn't really disagree with a lot of what he said. It's true that football stadiums which encompass athletics tracks around their perimeter are generally poor and disliked by fans, just look at the debacle involving the two Turin sides for a perfect illustration of this. Also, how any athletics events are likely to be staged at the ground regardless of who the footballing tenant there is? Trying to maintain the ground purely on the basis of preserving the Olympic spirit or whatever it is doesn't seem to make good sense, economically or for a variety of other reasons. Much as I'm glad it looks like Spurs are going to miss out on getting the ground, I have to say the logic behind the decision (if it turns out as has been predicted) appears to be tenuous at best.
Which football fans don't like football grounds surrounded by a running track? Paris had one for the 1998 World Cup final, and it worked fine. Jamaica and Trinidad currently have their football fields at their national stadiums surrounded by a running track, and it works fine for them too. No problems with atmosphere there....

Athletics events are only likely to occur in the summer, when the football season is over. London could bid to host the World Champs, as Daegu (South Korea) have done. Also, Daegu currently hosts a Diamond League event, which London could also do, if they wanted.

I really don't think the comparison with Milan or Turin holds any water....

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Good....
:cool:
At least West Ham are planning to keep the running track. That way, London can always bid for future international athletics events, such as the World Champs, while Spurs only seems to care about football.
To be fair, Spurs were going to revamp Crystal Palace into a purpose built athletics stadium, but my problem with them was a) muscling in on someone else's territory and b) removing the track would've gone against the premise on which we got the Olympics.

Personally I'm not sure a running track around a football pitch does work, the atmosphere is much less.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Which football fans don't like football grounds surrounded by a running track? Paris had one for the 1998 World Cup final, and it worked fine. Jamaica and Trinidad currently have their football fields at their national stadiums surrounded by a running track, and it works fine for them too. No problems with atmosphere there....

Athletics events are only likely to occur in the summer, when the football season is over. London could bid to host the World Champs, as Daegu (South Korea) have done. Also, Daegu currently hosts a Diamond League event, which London could also do, if they wanted.

Why not? You're happy to compare this instance to a variety of other countries which fit in line with your argument, but any that don't fall into this category are not applicable? Quite honestly, Jamaica and T&T and the UK are not comparable in this context, it's obvious for all to see, and I mean no disrespect to them in saying that.

The fact that Athletics are only likely to occur in the summer makes no difference whatsoever. I have no concerns about timetabling clashes or whatever, but what justification is there in keeping a running track when for 80% of the year the stadium is used for other purposes?

Furball

Evil Scotsman

Hampden has retained its oval shape and it's ****.

shivfan

Banned
To be fair, Spurs were going to revamp Crystal Palace into a purpose built athletics stadium, but my problem with them was a) muscling in on someone else's territory and b) removing the track would've gone against the premise on which we got the Olympics.

Personally I'm not sure a running track around a football pitch does work, the atmosphere is much less.
Daniel Levy talks out of both sides of his mouth, and is renowned for changing his story. What exactly does he mean by 'revamp'? Does that mean fixing CP up to look what he, Daniel Levy, thinks is good enough? Or to revamp it to a level that the athletics chiefs feel happy with it? That's two totally different perceptions. It would cost one helluva lot of money to fix up CP to make it acceptable enough to bid to host a World Champs, for example. It would probably have to be demolished and totally rebuilt, and I really don't see Levy making that level of commitment to destroy and rebuild two totally new stadiums.

The Olympic stadium, as it currently exists, could easily bid to host a World Champs in the near future....

And Paris has a football stadium ring-fenced by a running track, and it worked fine for the World Cup final. So, why not here?

shivfan

Banned
Why not? You're happy to compare this instance to a variety of other countries which fit in line with your argument, but any that don't fall into this category are not applicable? Quite honestly, Jamaica and T&T and the UK are not comparable in this context, it's obvious for all to see, and I mean no disrespect to them in saying that.

The fact that Athletics are only likely to occur in the summer makes no difference whatsoever. I have no concerns about timetabling clashes or whatever, but what justification is there in keeping a running track when for 80% of the year the stadium is used for other purposes?
That's because I don't see how Turin is relevant to the discussion. Are you saying Juventus and Lazio are sharing grounds? Or are you mixing it up with Milan, where AC and Inter are ground-sharing? And how does two football teams sharing grounds have any relevance to a ground being shared by two totally different sports at different times of the year?

And you still haven't shown me why it's wrong to keep a running track when for 80% of the year the stadium is used for other purposes. Other countries do it, so why not West Ham?