• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2007-08

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Am I have been stating thats why i don't think he wouldn't be good enough for the last few pages..

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Am I have been stating thats why i don't think he wouldn't be good enough for the last few pages..
Well, somehow I didn't read your long post at the end of the last page, so I apologise, but still - most of your reasons come down to "he doesn't score enough goals" or "he's unproven/proven to be poor against quality opposition/at international level", and yet all the alternatives to him that you're suggesting are equally unproven or poor. The way you talk about the contributions of Crouch and Heskey at international level suggests Defoe has been terrible in every game he's ever played for England, and that's just not true.

I'm clearly never going to convince you that Defoe is a decent option, because you've clearly made up your mind before you came up with an argument, so I'm giving up on this one. We'll see how England do with three target men up front and no pace whatsoever.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey listen, with Zola and Taylor up front we got ourselves from top to midtable, target men the way forward IMO

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh Calvin Zola
He scores a goal-a
He got a visa
To play in white
He's from the Congo
He drinks um bongo
So please don't take our Calvin away

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Different in Cricket, we've always taken the mercenary foreigner. The FA however, seem to have this notion that were the best football side and no damn johnny foreigner is better than us. Took alot to appoint a foreign manager at first, will take a hell of a lot to have a foreign player. Players like Hargreaves and John Barnes were different, they had ties to England, a desire to play for England from the start. Taking in a player like Almunia just wont happen with England. Opening that door would kill off the game at grassroots level. Imagine the motivation for the young keeper, 'Oh your not going to get into the England team, theres a better Spaniard who isnt capped we can nab'

The idea of Almunia has never been suggested by the FA, its come from the guy himself, and dragged up by the press.
Naaaaaah, should keep hoping Arteta doesn't get called up for Spain imo, and then select him asap :ph34r: :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well, somehow I didn't read your long post at the end of the last page, so I apologise, but still - most of your reasons come down to "he doesn't score enough goals" or "he's unproven/proven to be poor against quality opposition/at international level", and yet all the alternatives to him that you're suggesting are equally unproven or poor..
Not totally as i said there have been times when both have been very useful. Heskey i.e Germany 01, WC 02, EURO 08 qualifiers plus valuable knockons for Owen to score from & Crouch i.e Croatia 07 providing knockons & being an obvious nuisance to opposition defenders.

The way you talk about the contributions of Crouch and Heskey at international level suggests Defoe has been terrible in every game he's ever played for England, and that's just not true.
No just terrible againts all decent/quality teams.

I'm clearly never going to convince you that Defoe is a decent option, because you've clearly made up your mind before you came up with an argument, so I'm giving up on this one.
No i made up my mind after seeing him look like an absolute waste of space againts quality opposition, because as i said before i did have high hopes for him but that was since his West Ham days..

We'll see how England do with three target men up front and no pace whatsoever.
Ha, that would be very bad indeed. But i didn't suggest that.

Like you this is my last on the topic as well..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So what is Greenacre's song?
Oh, my love, my darling etc.

:ph34r:
LOL

Greenacre has two, both pretty dire

Greenacre m'lord

or

Number one is Greenacre, number two is Greenacre etc, we're all dreaming of a team of Greenacres, a team of Greenacres, a team of Greenacres

I actually made the Zola one up personally, and it's a regular in our stands nowadays.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Oh Calvin Zola
He scores a goal-a
He got a visa
To play in white
He's from the Congo
He drinks um bongo
So please don't take our Calvin away
Not sure this is really appropriate but goddamn it was a hit in the stands at the time.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This was the year we won the Champions League while sponsored by the company that was about to blow up the world. Good times.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Arsenal only lost 3 games all season and finished with a record number of points for a 3rd place finish.

It was also the awful Eduardo leg break season. Though the game where that happened was memorable for one of Clichy's all time greatest disasters. God I hate him.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
First season in our new ground after missing promotion by losing at Wembley the previous season. We were 9th on Boxing Day and only won twice more so went close to going down. Gary Peters left to be replaced by Paul Simpson. Bad times.