• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread (2005)

Chubb

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I'm sorry, I have to take issue with that - he's not even reached the stage where his FC batting and bowling averages have crossed... so I don't think "Test class all-rounder" covers things...
He scored runs and took wickets for Zimbabwe on a regular basis. Maybe "ODI class" is a better definition, because I think if he were eligible he'd play for our ODI team for certain.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Er, no.....

Watson was undefeated on 11 (although the Yorkie attack was so shot he might well have gone on to that sort of score in the 10 overs remaining). Ervine scored the ton.
yes i know lol silly mistake :shy: i did know it was ervine as i did see the whole iningd

Scaly piscine

Chubb said:
He scored runs and took wickets for Zimbabwe on a regular basis. Maybe "ODI class" is a better definition, because I think if he were eligible he'd play for our ODI team for certain.
Wouldn't say he was ODI class either, his batting isn't far off, but his bowling is fairly useless really.

Chubb

International Regular
He's a better bowler than Shane Watson. And a better ODI bat than Vaughan

Last edited:

Pothas

He would certianly be no whare near the england team but he has got a couple of 5 wicket hauls this year in the county championship and is developing into a very decent player that was his first century for hampshire and im very pleased for him

Chubb

International Regular
Pothas said:
Dawson really was awful and that action is just off putting-
He should consider going into the circus as a contortionist when he retires/ is released.

Rich2001

International Captain
Barney Rubble said:
This is weird - just heard Stuart MacGill has been released from the Aussie Ashes squad temporarily to play two one-dayers and a 4-dayer for Somerset. Hopefully he'll play against Durham tomorrow, I'm gonna be there.
Sorry

Australia leg-spinner Stuart MacGill was hoping to play for Somerset this week after being released from the Ashes Test squad.
The Australia management team wanted MacGill to get some match practice in and asked the counties if anyone had a vacancy for an overseas player.

And Somerset duly obliged with MacGill set to make his debut in the Totesport League against Durham on Sunday.

But the England and Wales Cricket Board said it contravened regulations.

Under ECB rules, a player must be fully released from the touring party and spend a minimum of three weeks with his new employers.

So MacGill, who had already set off for Taunton, was called back by Australia.

It is thought Australia wanted MacGill to get some match practice in ahead of the final Ashes Test at The Oval, where he could be selected in addition to Shane Warne.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Mwaahahahahahah...

Ervine 100. Bloody brilliant. Pretty much the only bit of sport that went for me last night. Well done son, your second place on that Nath-o-meter is justified.

He`s done well so far for Hampshire. Good on `im.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Speaking of amusing incidents, I was at Taunton today (good win for Somerset by the way, despite some truly shocking umpiring - fours called as sixes, lbws given off the thigh pad, etc) and not only were there two, unfortunately male, streakers with about seven overs to go, but midway through the Somerset innings, some guy (fully clothed this time, but clearly rather hammered) staggered out onto the outfield as if he was about to start running around - but instead he just stood there at deep point, twenty yards in from the rope. He hung around for thirty seconds or so while the security guys were called, then proceeded to light up a fag on the outfield, and escape through the back of the stand he came from when he saw the security guys! :D :p

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Barney Rubble said:
Speaking of amusing incidents, I was at Taunton today (good win for Somerset by the way, despite some truly shocking umpiring - fours called as sixes, lbws given off the thigh pad, etc) and not only were there two, unfortunately male, streakers with about seven overs to go, but midway through the Somerset innings, some guy (fully clothed this time, but clearly rather hammered) staggered out onto the outfield as if he was about to start running around - but instead he just stood there at deep point, twenty yards in from the rope. He hung around for thirty seconds or so while the security guys were called, then proceeded to light up a fag on the outfield, and escape through the back of the stand he came from when he saw the security guys! :D :p
:blink: :laugh:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Nnanden said:
It was bloody funny.

There were also numerous incidents involving inebriated crowd members and the Somerset mascot, Stumpy the......big purple thing, I guess. There were three guys randomly dressed up as Elvis, too - one of them gave the mascot a great big kiss. Unfortunately the guy who lit up a fag on the outfield wasn't dressed as Elvis, but I get the feeling that would have been a little too weird.

The Somerset fans who were indulging in a large amount of beer also took a shining to Callum Thorp, Durham's Aussie quick bowler - he was at 3rd man near where they were sitting and they were cheering every time he got the ball and singing songs about him, as well as serenading Paul Collingwood with chants of "Colly in the Test squad, Colly in the Test squad, da da da da....." - that is, until he made two shocking misfields, letting one through his legs for two and one past his right hand for a single.

A slightly bizarre afternoon, especially when you consider that Somerset's usual new-ball bowler, Simon Francis, wasn't thrown the ball until the 35th over. :blink:

Chubb

International Regular
Barney Rubble said:
It was bloody funny.

There were also numerous incidents involving inebriated crowd members and the Somerset mascot, Stumpy the......big purple thing, I guess.
He's a wyvern isn't he?