• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2009

brockley

International Captain
MOST people didn't know who Phillip Hughes was two years ago. Similarly, most would not have heard of Sam Robson, a 19-year-old opening batsman from NSW, who is displaying eerily familiar promise. While Hughes has just returned from a stint at Middlesex where he tore up the record books with four centuries, Robson is playing for Middlesex's second XI. He has scored 584 runs in nine innings at an average of 73, including two centuries and four half-centuries. The son of former state selector Jim Robson, Sam is also a leg-spinner who debuted in first grade for the University of NSW in 2005-06 aged 16, and took 6-51 and 3-30 against Campbelltown-Camden. He is slaying them in England. In his two three-day matches, Robson has scored 125 and 65 against a combined Essex and Kent Second XI, and 60 and 100 against the Sussex Second XI. Robson is on a rookie contract with NSW, and with the Blues' encouraging policy towards youth, he can expect some chances to come his way next season. Do not doubt this guy's ability. He scored his maiden first-grade century (102 against UTS-Balmain in 2006-07) when aged 17 years and 210 days, making him the youngest player in the 115 years of Sydney first grade to have both a five-wicket haul and a century to his name. Who did he replace with this record? None other than NSW Hall of Fame inductee Bob Simpson.

Get me my cab money

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Tyron Henderson's stock has gone down a fair bit in the past couple of months.

And has Grant Elliott scored a run yet for Surrey?

rivera213

U19 Vice-Captain
MOST people didn't know who Phillip Hughes was two years ago. Similarly, most would not have heard of Sam Robson, a 19-year-old opening batsman from NSW, who is displaying eerily familiar promise. While Hughes has just returned from a stint at Middlesex where he tore up the record books with four centuries, Robson is playing for Middlesex's second XI. He has scored 584 runs in nine innings at an average of 73, including two centuries and four half-centuries. The son of former state selector Jim Robson, Sam is also a leg-spinner who debuted in first grade for the University of NSW in 2005-06 aged 16, and took 6-51 and 3-30 against Campbelltown-Camden. He is slaying them in England. In his two three-day matches, Robson has scored 125 and 65 against a combined Essex and Kent Second XI, and 60 and 100 against the Sussex Second XI. Robson is on a rookie contract with NSW, and with the Blues' encouraging policy towards youth, he can expect some chances to come his way next season. Do not doubt this guy's ability. He scored his maiden first-grade century (102 against UTS-Balmain in 2006-07) when aged 17 years and 210 days, making him the youngest player in the 115 years of Sydney first grade to have both a five-wicket haul and a century to his name. Who did he replace with this record? None other than NSW Hall of Fame inductee Bob Simpson.

Get me my cab money
The Middlesex Second XI is barely (if at all) above club level. I'd say talent wise a number of top division club players are as good as second XI players. They just lack the desire required for pro sport.

Robson a LONG way from being the star in waiting Phillip Hughes is, even if he got 1,000 runs in 4 innings- it doesn't mean anything.

If/when he does it at full state or county level then people will start to take notice. Hopefully he gets some games in the Twenty-20 champions league.

Saj once again bowling with immense pace, when will the selectors finally wake up?
Saj always bowls between 88 & 93mph but he is way too inconsistent with line & length to be considered.

If even 50% of his deliveries were like the delivery to dismiss McGrath (IIRC) in the 20-20 on Friday (93mph super straight missile) then he'd be in the England team in all 3 formats of the game, but those deliveries make up about 10% of Saj's bowling which isn't anywhere good enough for international consideration IMHO.

oitoitoi

State Vice-Captain
I reckon Saj is quicker than Broad despite what the Sky speedgun says (Anderson at 94...yeah right), however he's so hideously inaccurate, a lot of his wickets seem to come from bad deliveries that batsmen try to smack.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I reckon Saj is quicker than Broad despite what the Sky speedgun says (Anderson at 94...yeah right), however he's so hideously inaccurate, a lot of his wickets seem to come from bad deliveries that batsmen try to smack.
:huh:

I've never seen anyone insist they can judge the speed of something better than advanced radar technology before.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Broad bowls quicker across the odd over when he wants to, but doesn't seem able to sustain it for long. Saj may bowl the odd quick ball but he's generally high 80s.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Decent start from Lancs , we seem to be pretty good at bowling in the powerplay overs so far this year, Leicestershire have only just hist the second boundary in the 7th over.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
du Plessis, was absolutely awesome today. Scratched around in his first 20 balls and then he decided to bat properly and just creamed the Leicstershire attack. Fantastic display.