• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season 2006

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chubb said:
As a new member of Somerset (I got my card today) I think they have made a collossal blunder by not signing a decent overseas pace bowler, because their pace attack is weak bordering on totally ineffectual. I think White is a good choice but I don't think Cullen was really necessary with Blackwell, Durston, Suppiah and Munday there already. I suppose it'll be quite interesting watching them this year anyway, with a quality leggie.
We've also signed Charl Willoughby.. Bleugh.. I still hold hope of playing for them one day if this is the competition!

Chubb

International Regular
When I was in the crowd at the Zimbabwe tour match in 2003, I was talking to my dad about overseas players and kolpaks (he isn't a cricket fan, although he did enjoy the 2020 we went to see this year.) A guy wearing a South Africa cap was sitting two seats down from us. I start slagging off Somerset for signing Gilder, saying he was rubbish and a waste of time. South African guy says, quite distinctly. "I'm right here, mate." gets up and walks off. It was Gilder. Perhaps I mentally disintegrated him.

Let's not forget James "Who?" Bryant either, although I remember hearing when he was signed he had a good domestic record in South Africa.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
WOW! Who and Why? Thats great news for England if we can actually have some English batsmen getting exposure in English cricket..
Counties are starting to get their payments from the ECB scaled according to the number of England eligible players in their side. It's all about the money, it's all about the dum dum de de dum dum

Langeveldt

Soutie
superkingdave said:
Counties are starting to get their payments from the ECB scaled according to the number of England eligible players in their side. It's all about the money, it's all about the dum dum de de dum dum
Wow, brilliant call from the ECB, good going..

Langeveldt

Soutie
Chubb said:
When I was in the crowd at the Zimbabwe tour match in 2003, I was talking to my dad about overseas players and kolpaks (he isn't a cricket fan, although he did enjoy the 2020 we went to see this year.) A guy wearing a South Africa cap was sitting two seats down from us. I start slagging off Somerset for signing Gilder, saying he was rubbish and a waste of time. South African guy says, quite distinctly. "I'm right here, mate." gets up and walks off. It was Gilder. Perhaps I mentally disintegrated him.

Let's not forget James "Who?" Bryant either, although I remember hearing when he was signed he had a good domestic record in South Africa.
Bryant was actually a good batsman who never made it at Somerset for some reason..

And as for Gilder, ouch.. Lets remember that all the cricketers we ever slag off here are actually better than we will probably ever be!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
So how much are Derbyshire going to owe the ECB this year if that's the case?

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chubb said:

If he can't hack being sledged by a 16 (?) year old, perhaps he didn't need much mental disintegrating. Was a bit of a Scott Muller, IIRC...

Who'd he buy the SA cap off, anyway?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
I remember when we signed a guy called Gary Gilder.. Nobody had ever heard of him, and it turned out that it was because he wasn't very good..
I remember him! He was rubbish. Actually got out-bowled by Gareth Andrew in one game, which on all other occasions has been proven statistically, logically and probably biologically impossible.

brockley

International Captain
Hampshire now chasing dominic thornley recommended to the side by simon katich,and kepler wessels is chasing dale steyn as a kolpak signing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Langeveldt said:
WOW! Who and Why? Thats great news for England if we can actually have some English batsmen getting exposure in English cricket..
Yes, so suddenly some bloke scores 150 against a weak attack and is hailed the next star of the middle order...

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
good to see White get a county contract, hopefully he can perform well over there.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pssht. Really... what does Cameron White have that Dave Mohammed doesn't? If they're willing to compromise to the level of signing White, they should realize that they'd get Mohammed for much cheaper.

mikeW

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Pssht. Really... what does Cameron White have that Dave Mohammed doesn't? If they're willing to compromise to the level of signing White, they should realize that they'd get Mohammed for much cheaper.
Dunno about Mohammed's batting ability but White is very handy with the bat, had a very good series with the bat in the Australia A series last summer making something like 3 50's out of 4 matches.

Mr Mxyzptlk

White has nothing on Mohammed. Surely they didn't pick him because of his batting. Mohammed's bowling >> White's. White's batting > Mohammed's.

Mohammed > White. :cool:

mikeW

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
White has nothing on Mohammed. Surely they didn't pick him because of his batting. Mohammed's bowling >> White's. White's batting > Mohammed's.

Mohammed > White. :cool:
I cant comment on this really as i've never seen Mohammed play but im sure White would make the West Inddies team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

mikeW said:
I cant comment on this really as i've never seen Mohammed play but im sure White would make the West Inddies team.
If Rawl Lewis can make the West Indies team...

Mohammed >>> Lewis.

mikeW

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
If Rawl Lewis can make the West Indies team...

Mohammed >>> Lewis.
White bats at 6 for Victoria, i rate him a better batsmen than bowler although he only averages around 29 but i have no doubt he could get that up to late 30s and low 40's in a few years time.