• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

Borges

International Regular
Does Hameed have a chance if he does well in this county season? Would love to see him back in tests.

Tom Flint

International Regular
If hameed even averages around 40 I think he will be selected. He is the one we all hope can be our next Alistair cook

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming Jennings opens and Denly bats at 3, I can’t remember a worse England top three since I’ve been watching cricket. How far do we have to go back to find something comparable?
Martin Moxon and Tim Curtis opened up once, with a young Athers at first drop - we were soon 14-3 thanks to Terry Alderman

fredfertang

If hameed even averages around 40 I think he will be selected. He is the one we all hope can be our next Alistair cook
Someone needs to break him of his habit of missing straight ones - whenever he was out last season it was bowled, lbw or caught behind - he looked so good when I saw him at Lord's in 2016, yet so dreadful for the whole of last summer

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Martin Moxon and Tim Curtis opened up once, with a young Athers at first drop - we were soon 14-3 thanks to Terry Alderman
Yes, I was thinking about that 1989 series too.

Maybe there's a particularly poor top 3 circa 1982 or 1983 when Gooch and Boycott had preferred to take the rand.
EDIT Gower was generally batting at 3 and obviously he alone compensates for Burns + Jennings + Denley. But we did have some shocking pairs of openers at the time.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Yes, I was thinking about that 1989 series too.

Maybe there's a particularly poor top 3 circa 1982 or 1983 when Gooch and Boycott had preferred to take the rand.
EDIT Gower was generally batting at 3 and obviously he alone compensates for Burns + Jennings + Denley. But we did have some shocking pairs of openers at the time.
Painful memories aren't they?

The blackwashes were bad, but at least there was no expectation of anything different - I recall expecting to win the 89 series at the start - soon disavowed of that notion of course - a dreadfully one sided series

Tom Flint

International Regular
Burns is fine tbh. Hasn't had a bad start at all given both his series have been away. Can see him doing well in the ashes

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
Dropping flakes and leaving buttler in is stupid , quite happy with the top 3 selected as they are supposed to be batsman , wood in for pop gun Curran is also an improvement.

Borges

International Regular
This looks like a very good pitch to bat first on. I suppose the West indies got carried away by what happened in the first two tests.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rare that two of a top-6 shouldn't be playing Test cricket.

And why are we still talking about Flintoff and the pedalo. Really Athers?

Top_Cat

Kinda surprised the WI bowlers are around the sticks to these guys too. Both surely more vulnerable to the swingers away from the left side of the umpire?

SillyCowCorner1

Kinda surprised the WI bowlers are around the sticks to these guys too. Both surely more vulnerable to the swingers away from the left side of the umpire?
I think it's a plan they have worked with well so far in the series.

Holder usually bowl over the stumps, and Alzarri to the lefties.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dropping flakes and leaving buttler in is stupid , quite happy with the top 3 selected as they are supposed to be batsman , wood in for pop gun Curran is also an improvement.
I presume you’ve not ever seen Wood bowl if you’re going to make statements like that?

Groundking

International Debutant
Bairstow being moved down the order is the most spineless thing I think I've ever seen from a player, soft touch bastard.