• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of West Indies 2019

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Stokes bowled 50 overs. Big deal.

Once, Kallis hit a hundred and bowled 8 overs in the first innings and another 41 overs in the second innings when the opposition were made to follow on.
I knew someone would do this. I almost put in the caveat that Stokes is obviously in no class anywhere near to Kallis in the original post, but I kind of assumed that it was obvious.

The point wasn't about quality of the player, it was about workload of the player who bowls pace and bats in the top order.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This match has been utterly fantastic. I must say that if you were going to ask me who was going to take an eight-for on a flat pitch against an England team who had just whitewashed Sri Lanka in Sri Lanka, Roston Chase would not have entered my mind even for a moment.

I knew someone would do this. I almost put in the caveat that Stokes is obviously in no class anywhere near to Kallis in the original post, but I kind of assumed that it was obvious.

The point wasn't about quality of the player, it was about workload of the player who bowls pace and bats in the top order.
akilana will always have a whinge if you say anything that could possibly, remotely, be construed as not being 100% praiseful of his precious South Africa. Ignore him.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Been following the scorecard for this. Great effort by the Windies, some immense performances there. Hope this is a sign of things to come and not just a one off.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Is England hoping to replicate their ODI team success with long batting, two proper bowlers, and three wicket keepers for some reason?

theegyptian

Burns 7 – Looked pretty reasonable for the most part. Batting on day 4 was YOLOish, didn’t seem to want to leave anything when they bowled it wide outside the offstump. Good when they bowled straight.
Jennings 4 – Only Burns faced more deliveries in the game for England and looked more solid defensively that he has of late against pace, but is devoid of attacking options against pace which is terminal.
Bairstow 5 – Looked pretty compact for the most part having changed his technique to get further over to off-stump and had a couple of unfortunate dismissals. No closer to knowing if he can make it at 3.
Root 2- Terrible team selection. Bowled Anderson and Stokes into the ground. Didn’t bat well. Second innings dismissal really poor. Gives too many chances to be a real top class player currently.
Stokes 6 – Gave everything for the team with the ball, and caught well. Batting seems stuck since the Bristol nightclub affair. Whether he feels he owes Root and the team for the Bristol affair, or whether he feels the team needs him to bat with greater responsibility I don’t know, but whatever the reason it doesn’t appear to be working for his game.
Buttler 4- Dropped Hetymer early on which may have changed the game as silly as it sounds. Didn’t bat particularly badly but two cheap dismissals. Need more from a frontline bat.
Ali 3 – Batting terrible but should have been batting lower. Bowling was targeted by Windies but bowled all right generally.
Foakes 3 – Made a couple of mistakes with the gloves. England in a complete mess each time he came into bat. Still wondering why after the success of his first two tests batting at 7, he was demoted to 8.
Curran 3 – Out of his class for the role required with the ball. Batting similar to Foakes in that by the time he came in the game was already up.
Rashid 3 – Performed badly but I don’t blame him particularly. Part of a bad team selection.
Anderson 7 – Bowled well as nearly always.

Last edited:

andmark

International Captain
I realise that this has probably been said thousands of times over the years, but hopefully this can be the start of a respectable Windies side. I doubt anyone would expect them to become world beaters, but just to have a genuine chance of winning tests and for that chance to bare fruit sometimes would be nice. Well played from them in this match.

S.Kennedy

Haha when England are bad they are catastrophically bad.
That is true. Marmite side. Incredibly inconsistent. They have been so for years really but it seems more so under Root's stewardship (I wouldn't be shocked if England flatten WI in the second test).

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Well done Windies. Some huge performances from Roach, Holder and Chase!

Only real concern is Darren Bravo, hope he comes good. Also so good that a nuffie like Powell didnt open which meant 50 run opening partnerships in both innings.

As for England im not sure what to say really. Burns a positive, agree with theegyptian that Foakes should have been at 7. Leach has to play ahead of Rashid.

Pothas

Just looked at the stats and the keepers have basically been your best bats. Fairplay
Yep. It is just the players England have. It looks like the selection muddle comes from having too many all-rounders and keepers but that has only really become a thing because there are just no top and middle order batsmen. Makes the team fun but also means games like this one.

hazsa19

International Regular
Is England hoping to replicate their ODI team success with long batting, two proper bowlers, and three wicket keepers for some reason?
Such a lazy post. Easily 3 of the best batsmen in England, what difference does it make that they’re all capable of keeping wicket in FC Cricket?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Such a lazy post. Easily 3 of the best batsmen in England, what difference does it make that they’re all capable of keeping wicket in FC Cricket?
Lazy not reading NZTs next post where he corrected himself.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I realise that this has probably been said thousands of times over the years, but hopefully this can be the start of a respectable Windies side. I doubt anyone would expect them to become world beaters, but just to have a genuine chance of winning tests and for that chance to bare fruit sometimes would be nice. Well played from them in this match.
The batting is still a huge huge issue though

social

Australia has put up some woeful batting performances but this is right down with them

Chase is bloody ordinary, did very little with the ball and ended up with 8 wickets

Wtf

Woodster

International Captain
The major issue is being slightly overlooked here, we’re moaning about team selection, would Stuart Broad have won us this game ? No, absolutely not, would Jack Leach ? No. I appreciate these are hypothetical and that is not meant to disparage either of these fine bowlers, but we were bowled out for 77!!! If anything they would have weakened our batting, so how is team selection around the bowlers responsible for this pitiful display ?

So if batsmen are to blame, which I think they are in this case, what could the selectors have done different ? Yes Jennings looks very low in confidence, but there weren’t many claims for Joe Denly to play before a ball was bowled ??

mr_mister

Yeah, until Holder and Dowrichs partnership the bowlers had more than done their job.

Need to remove Keaton ****ing Jennings

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Its interesting to say what the biggest issue is as Holder just got man of the match because of his amazing batting performance which might not have happened if England had of picked a better bowling attack.

Im focusing on the bowling because there are better options and Id rather see the best bowling lineup chosen instead of seeing a worse bowler picked to help out the batting because it just looks bat when thay guy fails with the bat.