• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Tour of Sri Lanka 2018

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd be interested to see an analysis of how consistent our totals have been for the last few years. Ever since we've had no top order but a long lower-middle order we always seem to scrape our way to similar scores, around 250-300ish. The odd absolute horror show too but not that much way above.

I get that most teams probably hit around 300 the majority of the time but still, some sort of analysis as to how consistent different teams' scores are over a long period would be a good exercise.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I'd be interested to see an analysis of how consistent our totals have been for the last few years. Ever since we've had no top order but a long lower-middle order we always seem to scrape our way to similar scores, around 250-300ish. The odd absolute horror show too but not that much way above.

I get that most teams probably hit around 300 the majority of the time but still, some sort of analysis as to how consistent different teams' scores are over a long period would be a good exercise.
Since the start of the 2015 summer England have scored 250-350 in 33 out of 93 innings. That's a much higher rate than Australia (13 out of 75) and India (19 out of 71).

That supports you but it's also worth pointing out that Aus and India have recent records all about crushing it at home before flopping away, which is less true of England.

Other nations don't play as much so it's hard to compare the spread.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Bairstow comes off as a bit of a self entitled douchebag in his interview after the day. Might have to give him the nickname the big cheese v 2.

A bit of time out of the side seems to have worked wonders with Bairstow as it did with Ali. Broad too seems to have benefited from the threat of being dropped in the last year. Too much coasting along possibly in the setup. TBF it must be tough for those who play all 3 formats like Ali and Bairstow to keep at high levels of skill and motivation across the three formats. Competition for places always good at keeping people on their toes - although lets hope Bairstow doesn't headbutt Foakes to try and get back the gloves.

Bairstow a little reminscent of Hussain and the three finger salute.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Below par and wasted chance to go big. Glad for YJB though.
Yeah it'd solve a lot of problems if he could be a decent #3 so it was a massive innings. He's never going to be quite as effective there as he would be at #5-7 with his technique, and obviously new ball bowling will be more testing of that than it was here in most conditions he plays in, but England have lots of players who can do a similar job there, so if he could even average mid to high 30s there it'd do wonders for the team. I think he can do it as well as long as he commits to it.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Take the gloves away from Bairstow, bat him 3 and he scores 100. Imagine my shock.

Hopefully he can keep that up, and this isn't a one off performance motivated by his obvious disdain with being put in a less secure position in the team. A no.3 who can average 40+ would significantly improve our team and make us more consistently competitive in all conditions.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Love Bairstow. Happy for the blood nut as I feared his test career might have been in danger after Foakes instant success. He might have to

mr_mister

Bairstow comes off as a bit of a self entitled douchebag in his interview after the day. Might have to give him the nickname the big cheese v 2.

A bit of time out of the side seems to have worked wonders with Bairstow as it did with Ali. Broad too seems to have benefited from the threat of being dropped in the last year. Too much coasting along possibly in the setup. TBF it must be tough for those who play all 3 formats like Ali and Bairstow to keep at high levels of skill and motivation across the three formats. Competition for places always good at keeping people on their toes - although lets hope Bairstow doesn't headbutt Foakes to try and get back the gloves.

Bairstow a little reminscent of Hussain and the three finger salute.
What did he say in the interview?

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't think we can be surprised by Moeen's batting really. It is what it is, it's bowling allrounder batting, and so long as we don't kid ourselves into thinking he's a batsman we're alright.

mr_mister

Don't think we can be surprised by Moeen's batting really. It is what it is, it's bowling allrounder batting, and so long as we don't kid ourselves into thinking he's a batsman we're alright.

Yeah, still a far better batsman than Mitch Marsh too

It's just a pity because he had the promise to be a bloke who averages 40 at one stage. Scoring tons coming in at 4 and stuff. He even said at one stage he considered himself a batsman who bowls

Least he's quite penatrative with the ball now.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh Gunathilaka don't **** this up. Looks the part but always throws it away. #savetestcricketfromintent

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Give Stokes the ball
Yeah, I don't understand why he hasn't bowled at all.

According to 5Live they've dropped a couple of catches, which is always depressing.

EDIT
Apparently Root dropped both of these guys off Broad's bowling. No wonder SB's left the field for a breather.

Last edited: