• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in Sri Lanka 2014

91Jmay

International Coach
He has not really made that much of a case for making the test side though, think it is pretty safe to say he is a much better one day player at this stage.
One of most consistent players in CC and best bat on England Lions duty for last few years, would disagree.

dfrinku

U19 Debutant
I've always thought it would be a great idea to cut to something else when it looked like England might win something. That way we can forget it ever happened.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to believe that was England really. A confident comprehensive win with a couple of very good innings from the batsmen against spin.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Personally I'm a lot less sold on Taylor for test cricket. He's been ok the last couple of years in fc cricket but technically he gets caught lbw a lot shuffling across the stumps. Taylor added to Root, Cook, Ballance makes the teams batting heavily back foot and accumulator dominated. I'd prefer a more capable front foot player especially against seam.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Personally I'm a lot less sold on Taylor for test cricket. He's been ok the last couple of years in fc cricket but technically he gets caught lbw a lot shuffling across the stumps. Taylor added to Root, Cook, Ballance makes the teams batting heavily back foot and accumulator dominated. I'd prefer a more capable front foot player especially against seam.
More to the point, how would they fit him in? Mooen isn't good enough to complement 3 seamers, so surely they'd need a top spinner?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of most consistent players in CC and best bat on England Lions duty for last few years, would disagree.
Not really true though, his record for Notts is really nothing special and there is not really a spot for him anyway. I can't see England changing the makeup of the side so he would have to replace someone who is already there.

I really could not be more delighted about him getting his chance and taking it in ODIs but it is no reason to advocate him playing tests right now. We know not do this by now right?

theegyptian

TBH at the start of the series I had doubts over whether Root and Taylor in the same ODI team could work (and I thought that long term this would work against Taylor because Root offers the vital 6th bowler option). I worried they were too similar and lacked the ability to force the pace through the offside especially against pace. But in actuality they've been excellent batting together. Great running and both taking responsibility to hit boundaries. There was a calmness whilst they batted.

Now playing in Aus/NZ (and Eng,SA) in the future will be different as it will be more seam dominated and we'll see whether they have the game when batting together to force the pace and hit boundaries when required. But a great start for the pair batting together and there is a potential there for them to form a partnership at 3/4 for the next 10 years.

No matter what the commentators said about Bopara's innings, to my mind it was a poor innings. He put undue pressure on himself and Root. He put unfair responsibility on Root to score the runs. Root is a good player but not that good. He needs the guy at the other end pulling his weight too. All Bopara seemed inclined to do was playing forward defences half the time and knock the ball for a single the other half. Once he'd got in he needed to take initiative and be more positive to make sure England finished the game comfortably. Instead he heaped the pressure on himself and the team by playing passively and eventually he was forced into a rash shot.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yup, after getting himself set it should be his job to take the pressure FROM Root, hit some boundaries and take the game on. Not keep on knocking it around until SL get back into the game.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah it is a huge positive. I still had big doubts about Root as an ODI player going into the series but the guy just knows how to play international cricket.

91Jmay

International Coach
Not really true though, his record for Notts is really nothing special and there is not really a spot for him anyway. I can't see England changing the makeup of the side so he would have to replace someone who is already there.

I really could not be more delighted about him getting his chance and taking it in ODIs but it is no reason to advocate him playing tests right now. We know not do this by now right?
2657 @ 40 isn't bad when you consider his form for the Lions on top of that. He'd be next middle order bat up for me if one loses form, with Trott the wildcard.

flibbertyjibber

More to the point, how would they fit him in? Mooen isn't good enough to complement 3 seamers, so surely they'd need a top spinner?
Well we don't have a spinner any better really unless Monty suddenly found form again and as for our back up pace options well no point playing an average 4th seamer who won't take wickets.

flibbertyjibber

2657 @ 40 isn't bad when you consider his form for the Lions on top of that. He'd be next middle order bat up for me if one loses form, with Trott the wildcard.
At least that has been in Div 1 too, many of the other players who get a mention have never done anything in Div 1.

theegyptian

At least that has been in Div 1 too, many of the other players who get a mention have never done anything in Div 1.
I don't really think the spot is open personally. Stokes will come back into the team. They probably will and should drop him from ODI and T20 squads but tests they gotta back him and it works well for team balance.
If not Stokes it'll be Woakes.

But I agree the likes of Vince, Roy or whoever haven't really done enough to warrant selection.

Last edited: