• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in South Africa 2015/16

Marius

International Debutant
SA squad for first two Tests announced:

Hashim Amla (capt), AB de Villiers (wk), Kyle Abbott, Temba Bavuma, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Morne Morkel, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, Stiaan van Zyl.

A bit rough for Harmer and not sure AB should be keeping, but good to see Rilee Rossouw getting a call up.

Overall, not too much to complain about.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah not disputing that, just think bolting him together with a 20 year old is strange. Abbott will be finished about the same time as Philander/Steyn so he isn't really the future.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah not disputing that, just think bolting him together with a 20 year old is strange. Abbott will be finished about the same time as Philander/Steyn so he isn't really the future.
Fair enough but I see no reason why Abbott can't have a good 4-5 years in the team atleast. Part of that is because I think the end isn't far off for Steyn /Philander

Stefan9

International Debutant
SA squad for first two Tests announced:

Hashim Amla (capt), AB de Villiers (wk), Kyle Abbott, Temba Bavuma, JP Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Morne Morkel, Dane Piedt, Kagiso Rabada, Rilee Rossouw, Dale Steyn, Stiaan van Zyl.

A bit rough for Harmer and not sure AB should be keeping, but good to see Rilee Rossouw getting a call up.

Overall, not too much to complain about.
Personally not happy with no QDK, no reason to burden ab with keeping when you have such a talent. Also duminy does not deserve a spot in this squad, he is riding his 160 at the mcg for all its worth. An average of under 35 is not good enough at test level.

From the squad selected would go with this team:

1.Elgar
2.Bavuma
3.Amla
4.AB
5.Faf
6.Van Zyl
7.Rillee
8.Steyn
9.Abbot
10.Radaba
11.Morkel

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any Saffers know much about Dwaine Pretorius? Looking at his figures and stats makes me wonder why SA have been bemoaning having no allrounders.

morgieb

Any Saffers know much about Dwaine Pretorius? Looking at his figures and stats makes me wonder why SA have been bemoaning having no allrounders.
It's worth noting that most of his FC experience is based on stuff that would be the equivalent of the Futures League. He's only played 6 FC games for his franchise. SA is weird wrt record keeping.

Gnske

Fair point, SA's domestic system has always seemed a bit oddball to me. Still worth a bit of a look with Parnell and McLaren in the trash heap.

Jarquis

Nah, he is.

Far more dire players have been looked at by SA in recent years.
He's a bloke you know nothing about who has played 6 'genuine' First Class games.
Plus there is the face South Africa almost certainly have at least four seamers better than their best spin bowler and so a spin-bowling all rounder fits their side far better than another seamer.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Can tell you he's one of your classic Afrikaaner Calvinists, and enjoys his use of extended hashtags.

Looks a talented player, but needs regular game time in Franchise cricket before he can even be considered a prospect in the first place.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Only seen him the domestic one dayers and ram slam. Looks like a really good bowler and hard hitting bat down the order.

Daemon

^ What a load of ****. Since his ODI debut

ST Finn 2011-2015 98 @ 28.96 5.09 RPO
JM Anderson 2011-2015 90 @ 27.02 4.83 RPO
TT Bresnan 2011-2015 69 @ 33.18 5.47 RPO
JC Tredwell 2011-2015 60 @ 25.86 4.70 RPO
CR Woakes 2011-2015 55 @ 34.27 5.79 RPO
SCJ Broad 2011-2015 53 @ 39.39 5.43 RPO
CJ Jordan 2013-2015 39 @ 30.64 5.84 RPO

So aside from Finn/Jimmy who are miles ahead of the rest Woakes fits in with Broad/Bresnan/Jordan numbers wise and he bowls at the death.

LE Plunkett 2011-2015 8 @ 38.25 6.12 RPO

There is your hero Liam Plunket
I think tec was mainly talking about the longer format when mentioning Footitt and Plunkett.