• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why is this Test series taking so long to start

Damn England, preparing properly for the series, by playing warmup games and all

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Does playing so many warm up games really help ? Considering SA have done so well despite playing so few warm ups. And England haven't done so well despite playing many warm-ups this decade

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo
I guess it's important given most of their players haven't been involved in the ODIs or 20-20s over here ... but given that fact, the test players could almost have played their warm up matches during the ODI series!

JRC67

U19 12th Man
If reports are true Stokes may play the next test as a batsman. You would guess that means Vince getting dropped and Woods or Overton coming in. That could then leave a space for Livingstone to debut in the second test if Stokes is fit to bowl. It also improves Ali's chances of staying in the team, although he must be getting close to needing a performance to stay in the test side for the summer.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I raise you James Vince's 1st dismissal. Reminds me of Gautam Gambhir's work.
James Vince strikes me as the guy you'd pick if your life depended on scoring a crisp looking 30. And someone who'd drive you bat **** insane given he finds 150 different ways to get out. Presumably he doesnt just score pure 30s 40s at FC level?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Does playing so many warm up games really help ? Considering SA have done so well despite playing so few warm ups. And England haven't done so well despite playing many warm-ups this decade

Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo
I guess it's important given most of their players haven't been involved in the ODIs or 20-20s over here ... but given that fact, the test players could almost have played their warm up matches during the ODI series!
Makes me think that with a bit of schedule reorganisation they could have played both the five ODIs and the three tests. Give England's test-only players a warmup while the ODIs were on (the others have to switch straight from ODIs to tests, but too bad) and be already half way through the first test now.

thierry henry

International Coach
lol at TH doing the "i can't understand why people like this player who is exciting"

sodhi is fun to watch. When he comes on to bowl **** happens. Tastle has earned his selection but for a leggie his bowling is pretty ****ing boring.
It's a legit question. I've seen a lot of Sodhi and he pretty much bowls a moderately turning leggie and a decent wrong-un.

AFAIK Astle pretty much bowls the same 2 main deliveries as Sodhi. I doubt he turns his leg-break much less than Sodhi does but not too sure on his wrong-un? iirc he gets some wickets from a slider too and maybe Sodhi doesn't really bowl that one.

Sodhi is fun to watch mainly by virtue of being a leggie but doesn't do anything out of the ordinary in that context. I have to put my hand up and say I don't watch enough domestic cricket to have a firm grasp on Astle's repertoire, so I figured him for, like Sodhi, a standard leggie. He certainly has the orthodox bowling action of someone who should at least be able to bowl a decent leg spinner.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a legit question. I've seen a lot of Sodhi and he pretty much bowls a moderately turning leggie and a decent wrong-un.

AFAIK Astle pretty much bowls the same 2 main deliveries as Sodhi. I doubt he turns his leg-break much less than Sodhi does but not too sure on his wrong-un? iirc he gets some wickets from a slider too and maybe Sodhi doesn't really bowl that one.

Sodhi is fun to watch mainly by virtue of being a leggie but doesn't do anything out of the ordinary in that context. I have to put my hand up and say I don't watch enough domestic cricket to have a firm grasp on Astle's repertoire, so I figured him for, like Sodhi, a standard leggie. He certainly has the orthodox bowling action of someone who should at least be able to bowl a decent leg spinner.
Astle turns his leg break more than Sodhi IMO.

thierry henry

International Coach
That's what I figured based on his action. He also bowls slower (used to even more so).

Once upon a time bowling big, slow leg-breaks was deemed attacking bowling while bowling flatter leg spin and attacking the stumps was considered defensive.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's what I figured based on his action. He also bowls slower (used to even more so).

Once upon a time bowling big, slow leg-breaks was deemed attacking bowling while bowling flatter leg spin and attacking the stumps was considered defensive.
I think part of it is the fact that Sodhi has more of a 'mystery spinner' vibe to him, where batsmen don't pick him and look stupid sometimes. People find that exciting.

But like I said before I think a lot of it is just an age thing. Sodhi is six years younger than Astle, so people still have hope that he'll improve a lot and turn out to be gun. Astle's ceiling has probably closed in on 'decent' now, which isn't as exciting for the everyday fan.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
wait are we watching the same astle that bowled against WI earlier? He lobs straight breaks up on the stumps and waits for the batsman to do something stupid. Which is admittedly very often. Results aside Sodhi definitely turns it more now, both ways.