• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand 2018

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Disagree totally with Agnew here:

New Zealand v England: Batsmen well short of Test standard, says Jonathan Agnew - BBC Sport

How many warm up games should you need. Plus if you are good enough surely one should be able to cope.

Many a team have faced sub par warm up games and still did okay
I'm normally fairly contemptuous of non-FC warm up games. But those 2 games were what we needed with the novelty of pink ball and lights.

Even if non-FC status does reduce match like intensity for the stats nerds.

Also, was a strong line up that the NZC put up for them. Not just random kids, NZ A + NZ B combined .....

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
When's India touring next? Shouldn't there be a tour in the next year or so? It's been around 5 years since the last one.
According to the leaked draft FTP that Cricinfo reported on last year, India are coming down to NZ for a 2-test series in 2019/20. You can pretty much guarantee they'll both be d/n games.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do you lot not know fake news when you see it?

Thread needs to be closed and restarted once the real match begins

BeeGee

International Captain
Disagree totally with Agnew here:

New Zealand v England: Batsmen well short of Test standard, says Jonathan Agnew - BBC Sport

How many warm up games should you need. Plus if you are good enough surely one should be able to cope.

Many a team have faced sub par warm up games and still did okay
Yeah, that's a total load of horse manure. England got four days of warm up matches before ten days of test cricket. It's totally adequate.

Journalists and politicians, is there any lower form of life on this planet? I think not.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Australia don't want the West Indies touring for the big tests again though
Yep, they're looking to replace WI with someone. Their first preference was SA, but they've got their own holiday test schedule, so NZ were being courted. Haven't heard anything about it for months though, so who knows.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Yep, they're looking to replace WI with someone. Their first preference was SA, but they've got their own holiday test schedule, so NZ were being courted. Haven't heard anything about it for months though, so who knows.
SA will only agree to tour Aus during the holiday schedule if they agree to a rotation between the two countries. That won't happen.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
A few people commenting on how little swing England found. Obviously the length is part of it, but I think technique is a problem too. One thing I noticed is that when you compare Anderson with Boult, the angle of the seam when Anderson releases the ball is way larger - it's probably at about 40 degrees, whereas Boult's only about half of that. A wider seam angle works with the Duke, but isn't ideal with the Kookaburra. I remember him having similar problems in 2012/13, which was one of the only occasions I can remember when he didn't rip us to shreds..

Immenso

Gully fielding.

Please to see Kane back in the gully, and Styris mentioning it too in commentry how he had been fielding at mid-off since taking over the captaincy.

As an eraly adopter (or initiator) of the "Kane, get the **** back into the gully" camapign. I feel 100% justified.

Comms started talking about NZ's best gully fielders. Mentioned Hadlee, Oram and Kane.

I have a complete mental block about who fielded in gully in the 15 years between Hadlee and Oram? I'm remembering Chris Cairns being good around there qat time but not sure if he was backward point?

Please let me indulge in some NZ focussed lists on the thread for amoment. NZ posters; who else fielded in the gully in those years and were good?

Edit. Roger Twose was one.
Not in those 15 missing years. But Lance Cairns was also good in the gully. I guess he fielded in there when Hadlee was bowling.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I think the 2013 side was a lot stronger.. It was in many ways the same side from a few years ago when they won the away Ashes and beat India 4-0 to become number 1. The only difference was that some of the players were a bit past their prime.

This is a markedly inferior side. Of course they can still come back but if New Zealand take like a 400 run lead, I don't see this side batting out 2 days for a draw.
Dead right this side is inferior to the one that was lucky to draw last time in these parts. By a country mile actually. I'd only slightly quibble about NZ bothering to take a 400 run lead, if the weather forecasts are to be believed. Declaring at or being dismissed by tea on Day 2 would be plenty. This England side hasn't the technique, application, or brains to bat out the match for a draw. If NZ had the inclination, they could probably make this a two day test match.

I wonder how many of the NZers on CW are old enough to remember Christchurch 1984. Those of us who were around at the time tended to hold the view that we would never see a worse England performance, even allowing for a tricky surface and Hadlee at the peak of his powers. Well, so much for that. Well as Boult and Southee bowled, today's debacle was in a class of its own. No wonder so many English folk are switching off from the game. if the players and administrators don't give a toss about the standard of the national side, why should anyone else?

Victor Ian

International Coach
Just got back from a trip up the road - Amazing! Talk about little brother laying in the boot after big brother had just decked someone.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm sure it's been mentioned lots of times but I wasn't in this thread yesterday so it's bears repeating -- England's selection was ****ing ridiculous. Five seamers is never, ever acceptable.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How's the weather looking in Auckland so far today? It's been mostly OK up north, so hope it's the same.

Trusty traffic cam near the ground:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
A few people commenting on how little swing England found. Obviously the length is part of it, but I think technique is a problem too. One thing I noticed is that when you compare Anderson with Boult, the angle of the seam when Anderson releases the ball is way larger - it's probably at about 40 degrees, whereas Boult's only about half of that. A wider seam angle works with the Duke, but isn't ideal with the Kookaburra. I remember him having similar problems in 2012/13, which was one of the only occasions I can remember when he didn't rip us to shreds..
Gully fielding.

Please to see Kane back in the gully, and Styris mentioning it too in commentry how he had been fielding at mid-off since taking over the captaincy.

As an eraly adopter (or initiator) of the "Kane, get the **** back into the gully" camapign. I feel 100% justified.

Comms started talking about NZ's best gully fielders. Mentioned Hadlee, Oram and Kane.

I have a complete mental block about who fielded in gully in the 15 years between Hadlee and Oram? I'm remembering Chris Cairns being good around there qat time but not sure if he was backward point?

Please let me indulge in some NZ focussed lists on the thread for amoment. NZ posters; who else fielded in the gully in those years and were good?

Not in those 15 missing years. But Lance Cairns was also good in the gully. I guess he fielded in there when Hadlee was bowling.
Twose was gun.

Jeetan Patel was also pretty handy IIRC, although more often a backward point if we're splitting hairs.

The Hutt Rec

Gully fielding.

Lou Vincent was a regular there when playing.