• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Graeme Smith ‏@GraemeSmith49
So no DRS but DRS helps.........time for India to join the rest of the cricketing world and back the system

Graeme Smith has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket, especially the IPL.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
BCCI Declares War On APPENDIX 4 - SECTION 3.1

betcha each 3rd ump has been dying all series, hell every since the BCCI said no, to bring that little rule out

Spark

Global Moderator
But what does where the fielder took the ball have to do with the edge though?

If that had carried further and Trott took a more obvious catch then Gambhir would have been out. That would be a travesty

I'm happy with the end result but the process is ridiculous. If you can trust it there why you can't you trust it everywhere else?
Yeah that strikes me as bizarre.

However, I'm sure something very similar happened during the 09 Ashes with Ponting. Though there it was given out anyway, to the confusion of everyone...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He wasn't looking that good in the first dig for the first 30-40 runs was he?
Yes but Tendulkar is playing for India, and himself, not playing for some legacy in 30 years.

He's still one of India's best 6 batsman, and still enjoys playing.

Really should only retire when he's not good enough to play for India any more or he doesn't enjoy the game any more. Neither of these is true right nw.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's an absolutely ridiculous rule. So you're only allowed to check the edge if a fielder takes a catch near the ground?

If I was an umpire I'd be "checking to see if the fielder caught it" whenever I wasn't 100% on an edge, even if he took in the chest.
Just to make this even more complicated, I'm going to put it out there that Rod Tucker may have done exactly this, knowing the rule. It took him ages to actually call for the replay to see if the ball carried, so perhaps he never thought Gambhir hit the ball but after England's elongated appeal and the position Trott took the ball he decided to "check to see if it carried". Wink wink nudge nudge.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain

If that had carried further and Trott took a more obvious catch then Gambhir would have been out. That would be a travesty

I'm happy with the end result but the process is ridiculous. If you can trust it there why you can't you trust it everywhere else?
I agree with you that the process and original premise in this system is rubbish. Personally though all I care about is the end result and getting good decisions, so although I'd prefer DRS, at least in this scenario a right decision was made, even if it was kinda weird.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes but Tendulkar is playing for India, and himself, not playing for some legacy in 30 years.

He's still one of India's best 6 batsman, and still enjoys playing.

Really should only retire when he's not good enough to play for India any more or he doesn't enjoy the game any more. Neither of these is true right nw.
Thank you Jono. I cbf today.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

It doesn't. I think the umpires can technically just ask if a batsman has edged it. I don't think there's a law preventing that?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I agree with you that the process and original premise in this system is rubbish. Personally though all I care about is the end result and getting good decisions, so although I'd prefer DRS, at least in this scenario a right decision was made, even if it was kinda weird.
Yeah, it's only going to lead to more decisions being correct if they leave it in, so I'm in favour of it I guess. My problem is that it doesn't actually make any sense at all to allow it in only that situation. It's like saying you can only use Hawkeye on the fourth ball of the over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It doesn't. I think the umpires can technically just ask if a batsman has edged it. I don't think there's a law preventing that?
Nah I'm 99% sure they can't do that. They can only ask if the catch carried, and if the third umpire finds that the batsman didn't hit it while looking at that, then it's not out. If the catch obviously carried then it doesn't get reviewed and the batsman is out. Which is just weird.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yuvraj is poor against spin and poor against pace with movement.

How are you still in the team ffs.

(p.s. I'm glad you have made a come back from cancer)