• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India 2016/17

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jeez that's a slimy cheap shot from Anderson, couldn't agree more, such sour grapes & poor sportsmanship.

Especially from a bowler who averages 25 at home and 35 away. Just seems really disingenuous given it's obvious that Kohli is one of the best 3 Test bats going around, & it's just a matter of time before he scores runs in England.

Does anyone with any cricket knowledge really question his technique not being good enough to succeed in England, given what he's done in both New Zealand and Australia in his last tours here. NZ in particular were green tracks.

Last edited:

Burgey

Retired, I think. Remember reading he's dealing with some kind of cancer or something serious.
Oh yeah, I do remember something about him being quite ill a while back. It slipped my mind. Wonder how he's getting on.

OverratedSanity

Does anyone with cricket knowledge really question his technique not being good enough to succeed in England, given what he's done in both New Zealand and Australia in his last tours here. NZ in particular were green tracks.
Not sure I qualify as someone with cricket knowledge, but I think there are a few definite issues with him when the ball moves, especially in the air. It's not just the England tour I base this on. I thought the same as you after that NZ tour that he'd ironed out that defect, but then he played Mathews' outswinger really badly in Sri Lanka a couple of times on helpful decks. Kept fishing for it on fifth stump with an angled bat. It's tough to say how much he's improved on that and there's really no way to tell for sure unless he gets to bat in those conditions again.

Last edited:

Compton

International Debutant
Jeez that's a slimy cheap shot from Anderson, couldn't agree more, such sour grapes & poor sportsmanship.

Especially from a bowler who averages 25 at home and 35 away. Just seems really disingenuous given it's obvious that Kohli is one of the best 3 Test bats going around, & it's just a matter of time before he scores runs in England.

Does anyone with any cricket knowledge really question his technique not being good enough to succeed in England, given what he's done in both New Zealand and Australia in his last tours here. NZ in particular were green tracks.

Major burn on one of KW, JR, and TPC.

Zinzan

Major burn on one of KW, JR, and TPC.
Pffft, 3-4 then if it will keep you happy. :p I personally believe KW has fallen a little behind the other 3 since taking over the captaincy, but certainly not by much. He was embarrassed pretty badly my Ashwin if we're honest about it.

Zinzan

Not sure I qualify as someone with cricket knowledge, but I think there are a few definite issues with him when the ball moves, especially in the air. It's not just the England tour I base this on. I thought the same as you after that NZ tour that he'd ironed out that defect, but then he played Mathews' outswinger really badly in Sri Lanka a couple of times on helpful decks. Kept fishing for it on fifth stump with an angled bat. It's tough to say how much he's improved on that and there's really no way to tell for sure unless he gets to bat in those conditions again.
Fair enough, you obviously have reservations and doubts, whereas I believe he's good enough, Regardless of that, it was incredibly poor taste for Jimmy to say that after such a wonderful innings,

He'll regret those comments if he has any dignity. Such poor timing.

OverratedSanity

Pffft, 3-4 then if it will keep you happy. :p I personally believe KW has fallen a little behind the other 3 since taking over the captaincy, but certainly not by much. He was embarrassed pretty badly my Ashwin if we're honest about it.
KW played Ashwin superbly in that 70 odd in the first innings. Took a brutal delivery to get him out. Didn't get many runs after that but he was ill. Wouldn't be that harsh on him for that tour, he showed just about enough that he has the game to play Ashwin well.

Zinzan

KW played Ashwin superbly in that 70 odd in the first innings. Took a brutal delivery to get him out. Didn't get many runs after that but he was ill. Wouldn't be that harsh on him for that tour, he showed just about enough that he has the game to play Ashwin well.
He wasn't ill for the 3rd test at all. And so what if he scored one innings of 70 in 4 innings? Nobody's saying KW isn't an excellent batsman, but we're talking about the very best going around atm & regardless of how you want to spin in (pun intended), Ashwin appeared to have him on toast in the other 3 innings following that one. He got him 4 from 4 for the series and I'd suggest another couple of tests would be much the same. He just had his measure, I'm not sure I can honestly say the same about Root.

ImpatientLime

International Regular
read a number of journos on twitter saying that the anderson comments were taken completely out of context and that the original article came from a bloke who wasn't even in the presser and working on second hand info.

still comes off as a piss weak moron.

Burgey

Actually the Ashwin-TPC battle will be one of the few intriguing things to come out of Australia's tour of India IMO. Principally because he's the best player in our line up. I think he'll do pretty well, but doing pretty well given the way Australia bats at the moment probably means being stranded on 40 odd not out a la Hobart vs SA.

Expecting Warner to get schooled, fwiw.