• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in Bangladesh 2016

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Morgan has taken breaks during the season when there is no international cricket on before. Not a huge leap to suggest he'd do it when we tour Bangladesh.
Yeah, so unfounded conjecture in other words. You're effectively committing a non sequitur fallacy here.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Did I suggest that it was anything other than conjecture? Anyway I couldn't care less. Hales is good but not at all irreplaceable for the short term (he'd be back in for next matches though for me) and Morgan shouldn't be in the ODI or T20 side anyway.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Did I suggest that it was anything other than conjecture? Anyway I couldn't care less. Hales is good but not at all irreplaceable for the short term (he'd be back in for next matches though for me) and Morgan shouldn't be in the ODI or T20 side anyway.
Well no, but like I pointed out above, you seem to be dishing it out but unable to take it, as it were.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyway when are the squads announced, looking forward to see what we do really, full-out young uns or recalls for past players.

I think Ravi-Bop is due a comeback, I bet cricinfo have an article ready to go.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Anyway when are the squads announced, looking forward to see what we do really, full-out young uns or recalls for past players.

I think Ravi-Bop is due a comeback, I bet cricinfo have an article ready to go.
Squads are announced on Friday I think.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Anyway, fully support Morgan and Hales in their decision making. The value of life is greater than the value of playing a game. If I was in their position and felt there was a risk to my person there'd be no chance I'd jeopardise myself for the sake of going and hitting a ball around a field.
Exactly. This is why I'm disappointed in Strauss' comments, publically he should be supportive of the decision Morgan has made rather than expressing disappointment.

If I was involved with the England team in any capacity I'd be uneasy at the fact that it's the two blokes who have played domestic T20 in Bangladesh that are pulling out.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Has anyone actually checked out the FCO website? For travel to Bangladesh, here are some selected highlights:

• Avoid all but essential travel to the Chittagong Hill Tracts
  • You should exercise caution and avoid all public gatherings as protests in the country may turn violent
  • Following a terrorist attack in Dhaka on 1st July 2016 that resulted in the death of 20 hostages and 2 police officers, you should remain vigilant, monitor social and local media and follow security advice to avoid certain areas
  • Daesh claimed responsibility for the July 1st attack and has claimed responsibility for a number of other attacks since September 2015
  • Groups affiliated to Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent are also active and have claimed responsibility for the murder of a number of people who they consider to have views and lifestyles contrary to Islam
  • Security forces in Bangladesh remain on high alert following recent attacks
  • There is a heightened risk of further terrorist attacks. Attacks could be indiscriminate although foreigners, particularly westerners, may be directly targeted. Crowded areas and places where westerners are known to gather could be at higher risk of attack. You should minimise your risk of exposure to these areas.
  • The UK Department for Transport (DfT) recently carried out assessments of security at Dhaka International Airport. Following this, the DfT has assessed that security at Dhaka Airport does not meet some international security requirements.

Sign me up.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Has anyone actually checked out the FCO website? For travel to Bangladesh, here are some selected highlights:

• Avoid all but essential travel to the Chittagong Hill Tracts
  • You should exercise caution and avoid all public gatherings as protests in the country may turn violent
  • Following a terrorist attack in Dhaka on 1st July 2016 that resulted in the death of 20 hostages and 2 police officers, you should remain vigilant, monitor social and local media and follow security advice to avoid certain areas
  • Daesh claimed responsibility for the July 1st attack and has claimed responsibility for a number of other attacks since September 2015
  • Groups affiliated to Al Qaeda in the Indian Subcontinent are also active and have claimed responsibility for the murder of a number of people who they consider to have views and lifestyles contrary to Islam
  • Security forces in Bangladesh remain on high alert following recent attacks
  • There is a heightened risk of further terrorist attacks. Attacks could be indiscriminate although foreigners, particularly westerners, may be directly targeted. Crowded areas and places where westerners are known to gather could be at higher risk of attack. You should minimise your risk of exposure to these areas.
  • The UK Department for Transport (DfT) recently carried out assessments of security at Dhaka International Airport. Following this, the DfT has assessed that security at Dhaka Airport does not meet some international security requirements.

Sign me up.
I'm astonished that the tour's going ahead. Given the UK's military involvement in the middle east, it's far from inconceivable that the national team could be a target for these psychopaths.

I wouldn't be going anywhere near the place.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The advice of Ireland's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is that "Irish citizens are advised to consider carefully whether it is necessary to travel to Bangladesh."

So Strauss et al can bang on about how disappointed they are in Morgan or how much we should be supporting Bangladesh, but at the same time Morgan is following government advice.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The security will be massive, it is not like they are traveling alone.

We went to the Euros.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, didn't hear this crying about us playing in France. Wonder why?

Idea that the government's advice is relevant when England have literally sent a security expert to assess the security measures is laughable. They aren't Joe Bloggs getting a budget flight to Bangladesh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Remember that time Samaraweera got shot when they went on a tour that had been promised additional security?

Are the situations the same? No.
Is there a lot of undue whinging about a person's right to say whether they feel safe or not in a potentially dangerous situation? Yes.

91Jmay

International Coach
Remember that time Samaraweera got shot when they went on a tour that had been promised additional security?

Are the situations the same? No.
Is there a lot of undue whinging about a person's right to say whether they feel safe or not in a potentially dangerous situation? Yes.
I forgot Pakistan and Bangladesh are the same country.

FBU

International Debutant
Anyway, fully support Morgan and Hales in their decision making. The value of life is greater than the value of playing a game. If I was in their position and felt there was a risk to my person there'd be no chance I'd jeopardise myself for the sake of going and hitting a ball around a field.
He should have said I am not going to Bangladesh and nor are my team. I don't think it is safe enough and Reg Dickason is wrong. :D

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I strongly believe that no human being should have to risk their lives to do their job unless they choose a profession like army or firefighter etc. I would have fully supported Morgan or anyone who don't feel safe travelling to Bangladesh or any other country deemed unsafe. The problem is that it's hard to support him on principle when he himself didn't make a principled stance on playing the IPL in India at a time it was rife with political skirmishes. That begs the question whether the same decision would have been made if this was not Bangladesh but India. Australia made a similar decision last year yet their players don't express the same concerns when playing the IPL every year.