• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Four decisions have been overturned in the Canada vs. Pakistan match in Canada's batting innings.

Four.

That's right, four incorrect decisions.

You cannot argue against the UDRS. You just can't.
Who was the umpire ?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Harper's doing his level best to convince everyone of the case for the UDRS. Can't blame him, he's probably sick of being relied on to make decisions.
Harper's a nice guy. A really top bloke, actually. But, it's time to go......

Howe_zat

Audio File
In seriousness, I honestly think the UDRS is needed for the umpire's sake as much as anyone else. Without it, the umpire's decisions were being scrutinised with the technology but nothing was being said about it on field.

So, wrong decisions were pointed out, shown to be incorrect, and neither overturned nor accepted. In the 2009 Ashes Rudi Koertzen was erroneously being blamed for whole matches.

Ideally, the UDRS should be veiwed as a team of umpires using the technology to make as many correct decisions as possible. Not as some sort of trial-by-camera for the umpire, which is what we had before.

Top_Cat

Strongly agree with the last sentence. Vilifying umpires is definitely not constructive.

Loving that all of Rob's recent vids have been of umpire mistakes, though. haha

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But when technology makes ONE mistake the sceptics are all over it. No logic at all.

sudhindra9

School Boy/Girl Captain
UDRS is good for the game but that decision in favour of Bell in that IndiaEngland match was ridiculous

hjardine

Cricket Spectator
I prefer the human element syaing in as much as possible.

I guess it is a reflection on the standard of umpiring too. More good umpires will lead to more player confidence which will lead to less likelihood of a review being called for with players saving them for obvious howlers.

Shri

Mr. Glass
It seems like the requirements to qualify for the elite panel of umpires is not testing enough.

Top_Cat

Dispute that umpiring standards are low, in my time watching cricket the standard of umpiring as noticeably risen I reckon. We're just seeing all the mistakes even the best humans make with better tech.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Dispute that umpiring standards are low, in my time watching cricket the standard of umpiring as noticeably risen I reckon. We're just seeing all the mistakes even the best humans make with better tech.
This, really. And it's not fair on the umpires to scrutinise their decisions with the technology and then not use it to correct poor decisions.