• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Cricket Web XI in Sri Lanka Discussion and Results

Travis_Teh

International Regular
Can't really do more than take 7 wickets in 11 overs for a place back in the starting XI.

Awse to see Kennett in the wickets again :) Shame about being rolled for 70, not good.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kerr and Blackman revive CW XI
2nd Test - Day 3 - Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka - P. Saravanamuttu Stadium

A dramatic fightback from the lower middle order kept Cricket Web XI afloat in a thrilling contest in Colombo. The least experienced of the batsmen, Will Kerr and Alex Blackman, combined in an unbeaten stand of 158, after CW XI had slumped to 76-4 in the chase of 344.

The revival began much earlier though, when Dave Richards completed a maiden Test 5-wicket haul to help bowl out Sri Lanka cheaply. Bowling in tandem with Nick Borcich, Richards added 2 wickets to his overnight haul and helped reduce Sri Lanka to 155-9 and a lead of 307. Some bold batting by Amerasinghe and Muralitharan then added crucial runs to the target until David Kennett rounded off the innings. Richards was allowed to lead his team off the pitch with 5-62 in the bag.

There was still an air of confidence in the Sri Lankan camp as they emerged to defend a big target. CW XI headed to lunch with a calm enough 22-0. But the expected drama was not long into the second session with Pete Young out for 3, caught at second slip. The only resistance last time around, Andrew Cloete only scored 16 before he turned Muralitharan into the hands of legslip. And 58-2 quickly became 76-4 after two quick wickets for the phenomenal Ajantha Mendis. Both Mørk (39) and Butler (12) were caught, defending to the close field, and the latter fell to the bowler for the third time in as many innings.

The game seemed set for an early finish but for the backbone of Kerr and Blackman. They played with care and few alarms, with their contrasting styles, in the approach of a century stand. While Kerr was at ease working the ball around with the odd aggressive shot, Blackman was a bit more forceful and the two proved quite complementary. And as fortune favours the brave, Kerr was amazingly missed by Vandort at legslip, and shortly after he brought up his half-century.

Blackman also passed 50 then peppered the cover boundary thrice more before stumps. The batsmen walked off with the audacity of smiles on their faces, leaving Sri Lanka a frustrated bunch. CW XI still need 110 runs, but the pitch looks to be in better shape than at any times previous in this match.

Sri Lanka 1st Innings 222 ao (83.3 overs)
BSM Warnapura 85, TM Dilshan 43, TT Samaraweera 24
NA Borcich 5-57, DM Kennett 4-69

Cricket Web XI 1st Innings 70 ao (30 overs)
AP Cloete 33, AJ Blackman 7
M Muralitharan 3-2, WPUJ Vaas 3-21

Sri Lanka 2nd Innings 191 ao (65.1 overs)
KC Sangakkara 52, MG Vandort 43, M Muralitharan 28*
DP Richards 5-62, NA Borcich 3-47

Cricket Web XI 2nd Innings 234-4 (80 overs)
AJ Blackman 78*, WA Kerr 69*, H Mørk 39
BAW Mendis 2-54

Cricket Web XI require 110 runs with 6 second innings wickets in hand.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Wickets tumble on fourth morning
2nd Test - Day 4 - Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka - P. Saravanamuttu Stadium

Cricket Web XI started day four with an eye on one of the greatest comebacks in Test history, and with Will Kerr and Alex Blackman at the crease, half-centuries each on the board. The atmosphere was primed for a dramatic morning session and the Sri Lankan seamers started off with fire in their eyes. They struck twice quickly to remove the overnight batsmen with little addition to their scores, and both well short of deserved hundreds.

For all his joy with the ball, it was a quivering Dave Richards who arrived at the crease. In his previous three innings in the series he had been worked over and embarrassed by the Sri Lanka spinners, and faced the pacers with a big effort needed. Mike Wilson had already received a life on 13 and intent on making the best of it, with aggressive intent. But Mendis and Muralitharan were quickly invited into the attack and the former tempted Wilson into a fatal error. The Webber allrounder saw a bit of flight and tried to clear long-on to relieve the pressure, and instead picked out Vaas in the deep.

Greater pressure fell on Richards, but as he had done with the ball the day before, he responded in a positive fashion. His next five scoring shots reached the boundary, as he breeched double figures for the first time in the series. But just when he looked to be making his effort count, he was outfoxed by Mendis again and out to the mystery bowler for the third time in four innings. Out for 30, Richards kicked the turf as he walked off with 28 still needed by his team.

Mendis wrapped up a second 5-wicket haul of the season and left David Kennett and his captain, Neil Pickup, as the last remaining hopes. The consummate tailender, Pickup was tested early and beaten twice by Mendis. When he hit the ball, however, it flew down past slip and away to the boundary. But he settled his nerves soon after and slapped a short ball from the spinner past cover point and for an authentic boundary. At lunch David Kennett had 20 balls in the bank and no runs to show for it, but Pickup, on 10, has pulled his team to within 10 runs of a famous win.

Sri Lanka 1st Innings 222 ao (83.3 overs)
BSM Warnapura 85, TM Dilshan 43, TT Samaraweera 24
NA Borcich 5-57, DM Kennett 4-69

Cricket Web XI 1st Innings 70 ao (30 overs)
AP Cloete 33, AJ Blackman 7
M Muralitharan 3-2, WPUJ Vaas 3-21

Sri Lanka 2nd Innings 191 ao (65.1 overs)
KC Sangakkara 52, MG Vandort 43, M Muralitharan 28*
DP Richards 5-62, NA Borcich 3-47

Cricket Web XI 2nd Innings 334-9 (112 overs)
WA Kerr 85, AJ Blackman 79, H Mørk 39
BAW Mendis 5-74

Cricket Web XI require 10 runs with 1 second innings wicket in hand.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Because I can. :cool:

Chaminda Vaas prepares to resume in the afternoon session. He'll face David Kennett with 5 slips, a gully, a legslip, a short leg and a silly mid-off in place.

112.1 Vaas to Kennett...

Attachments

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
What a win, well done boys.

On a side note, i didn't want to say anything, because it would make me look like a whinger (it's normal), plus hes making ****loads of runs which is annoying.

Correct me if i'm wrong (and i dont mind if i am wrong), but Blackman has almost the same career average as me, yet i outscored him and out averaged him in the past season, and his test record wasnt so flash before this season, why did he get the nod ahead of me? (especially with his 2 posts per season routine). Also not only me, but im sure theres plenty of otheres that bat middle order and average above blackman and actually post, just feeling a bit hard done by here...

I know in hindsight it has worked wonders for the CWXI, but still would like an answer as if it was before the series :)

BTW Kennett your a beast!

David

International 12th Man
Jayawardene H.A.P.W dropped Kennett, a very hard chance off
Mendis.

Phew.

Fantastic win, right down to the wire, epic test match.

Pleased with my performances, great to be given the opportunity to play tests again and glad I could get in the wickets.

Hoggy31

International Captain
What a win, well done boys.

On a side note, i didn't want to say anything, because it would make me look like a whinger (it's normal), plus hes making ****loads of runs which is annoying.

Correct me if i'm wrong (and i dont mind if i am wrong), but Blackman has almost the same career average as me, yet i outscored him and out averaged him in the past season, and his test record wasnt so flash before this season, why did he get the nod ahead of me? (especially with his 2 posts per season routine). Also not only me, but im sure theres plenty of otheres that bat middle order and average above blackman and actually post, just feeling a bit hard done by here...

I know in hindsight it has worked wonders for the CWXI, but still would like an answer as if it was before the series :)

BTW Kennett your a beast!
stfu

haha awesome win, crazy stuff.