• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Cricket Web XI in Sri Lanka Discussion and Results

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
What a win, well done boys.

On a side note, i didn't want to say anything, because it would make me look like a whinger (it's normal), plus hes making ****loads of runs which is annoying.

Correct me if i'm wrong (and i dont mind if i am wrong), but Blackman has almost the same career average as me, yet i outscored him and out averaged him in the past season, and his test record wasnt so flash before this season, why did he get the nod ahead of me? (especially with his 2 posts per season routine). Also not only me, but im sure theres plenty of otheres that bat middle order and average above blackman and actually post, just feeling a bit hard done by here...

I know in hindsight it has worked wonders for the CWXI, but still would like an answer as if it was before the series :)

BTW Kennett your a beast!
Blackman hadn't played tests before this season.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Fair enough, but what warrented his selection before others? I no im probably fighting agaist a brick wall here, but ahwell.

Wouldnt mind some feedback from the selectors, once your dropped from the test team for a decent length of time does that almost throw you out of line? 2000 runs at almost 60 this season, i wouldve liked to think put me right back up there, but i couldnt even get a game in the A sqaud.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was there actually an A squad named?

I think everyone would love to see the selectors thoughts, only fair IMO.

Great come from behind win today!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough, but what warrented his selection before others? I no im probably fighting agaist a brick wall here, but ahwell.

Wouldnt mind some feedback from the selectors, once your dropped from the test team for a decent length of time does that almost throw you out of line? 2000 runs at almost 60 this season, i wouldve liked to think put me right back up there, but i couldnt even get a game in the A sqaud.
The selectors were looking to blood in some new talent and Blackman was the most experienced FC players out of the players that hadn't been tried. That was the basic of his selection.

I think these days there is a understanding that a lot of long term players just don't post as much, but stay activity through reading scorecards. If your picking players purely on how much posts they make you wont be picking the best sides. However this criteria only applies to long term players.

When it comes to looking at the best pure middle order batsmen from FC cricket, forgotting previous Test records. I dare say you, Blackman and Dauth are at the top (I probably forgot someone). Even though recently both your records are better, your overall records are fairly similar mid 30s. There not really enough gap in your current record to warrant a spot ahead of Blackman on the back of wanting to try someone new with the FC record to back their selection.

The situation is slightly different for say fast bowlers and someone like Kennett or Wright. Their Test record isn't that bad considering averaging under 35 is new 30, especially with current Test wickets. Also there probably isn't standout option in the seam ranks that hasn't been given a decent run, though Rose and Cunningham might disagree.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
I see your point, and i didnt mean that picking players should be based on post count, rather it should be a factor, below there run scoring or wicket taking abilities.

The situation is slightly different for say fast bowlers and someone like Kennett or Wright. Their Test record isn't that bad considering averaging under 35 is new 30
You say that, but over my shortish test stint i averaged near 30, and have quite considerably improved since then, but if new blood is what the selectors wanted then alright.

Cheers for the response though, wasnt expecting one :ph34r:, was thinking more of what Hoggy replied with was coming my way :)

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Averaging 30 with the bat in Tests is far from the same as averaging 30 with the ball. Notable, Tharmi said that an average of 30 with the ball is acceptable because the pitches are so batting-friendly these days. It doesn't really help the whole "I averaged 30 with the bat" argument.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
Averaging 30 with the bat in Tests is far from the same as averaging 30 with the ball. Notable, Tharmi said that an average of 30 with the ball is acceptable because the pitches are so batting-friendly these days. It doesn't really help the whole "I averaged 30 with the bat" argument.
Was more referring to the fact that id already played some tests and averaged 30, therefore with my batting improvements over the last 3 seasons id be worth a shot.

But i dont think i'll get anywere here, so cheers for the response and let the cricket go on...

Mr Mxyzptlk

Was more referring to the fact that id already played some tests and averaged 30, therefore with my batting improvements over the last 3 seasons id be worth a shot.

But i dont think i'll get anywere here, so cheers for the response and let the cricket go on...
And I was referring to the fact that averaging 30 is not anywhere near good enough, so mentioning it is not helping your argument at all. And I say 30, but it was more like 26.50 from 34 innings.

We figured it was better to give another players a shot in Tests, than recall a batsman who, given several opportunities, was below par.

That said, you're far from out of the frame. The 'A' team has not been named, but you're a good shot for it.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
You say that, but over my shortish test stint i averaged near 30, and have quite considerably improved since then, but if new blood is what the selectors wanted then alright.
The basic level that required for Test standard batsmen if we want to stay one of the best Test sides, is an average of 40 odd. There was only a couple series were you average that level. Averaging above 30 isn't enough.

Whereas for bowlers we accept averages of 35 odd due to nature of pitches and our five man attack.

kears_falcon_9

International Debutant
The basic level that required for Test standard batsmen if we want to stay one of the best Test sides, is an average of 40 odd. There was only a couple series were you average that level. Averaging above 30 isn't enough.

Whereas for bowlers we accept averages of 35 odd due to nature of pitches and our five man attack.
Sorry i said id leave this now, but just have to add this, i no averaging less than 30 isnt good, but that was quite a time ago, and i no my batting has improved quite considerably since then, therefore that avg of less than 30 would hopefully be turned around.

Cheers

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web XI unchanged for the dead third Test.

Sri Lanka call Angelo Mathews in for Michael Vandort. Kumar Sangakkara will open the batting with Malinga Warnapura.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Rain and Sri Lanka rule opening day
3rd Test - Day 1 - Cricket Web XI vs Sri Lanka - Asgiriya Stadium

Angelo Mathews made his Test debut for Sri Lanka and was part of a positive effort on a rain-affected opening day. Cricket Web XI were asked to bat first in terrible weather conditions, that delayed the start by 20 minutes. Sangakkara offered early relief by dropping his opposite number, Mørk, on 1. Sri Lanka did not take long to break through, however, and got Pete Young (3) before rain called an early lunch.

Vaas then made amends for his wicketkeeper's mistake, when he took a return catch to remove Mørk (16) in the fourth over of the second session. Andrew Cloete (5) followed an over later for 5, and the tourists had wilted to 28-3. Another test was on hand for young Will Kerr, but unlike the third Test he failed to respond positively and was bowled attempting an ambitious drive. From the pit of 54-4, Chris Butler tried to hold steady with the always confident Alex Blackman.

Rain intervened again for the better part of two hours and it brought an early tea. Though he is yet to find his best form on the tour, Butler worked hard for 31 runs of solid defence and careful strokeplay. Blackman was surprisingly reserved too, scoring 18 at stumps. CW XI finished the day on 91-4.

Cricket Web XI 1st Innings 91-4 (35 overs)
CR Butler 31*, AJ Blackman 18*, H Mørk 16
MKDI Amerasinghe 3-30

Cricket Web XI lead by 91 runs with 6 first innings wickets in hand.