• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
That's the point, the Aussies, or pretty much any other country wouldn't do it, but we do, with open arms!
Yes but on the flipside, we actually get spectators at our games and we get to watch players like Sangakarra for the fraction of the price of a test ticket.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes but on the flipside, we actually get spectators at our games and we get to watch players like Sangakarra for the fraction of the price of a test ticket.
Yes and they're fantastic things about our county championship, just rather it not be before SL are due here for a Test series.

LukePom

Cricket Spectator
Also how many english players would get into a shield side. Given there are only 6 and they arent used to thd conditions i would say very few outside of our first xi.
Whereas we have 20 counties so even australias fringe players would get a game over here
We've had some great and also mediocre aussies playing for my county. Dean Jones was truly superb. Slater awful. Divenuto carried the team for 8 years was terrific. Jon moss unknown but did a solid enough job. Katich top class . Travis Birt horrible. Nathan rimmington dreadful. Chris Rogers superb. Khawaja helped win us the title in 2012. Michael Dighton dreadful

Woodster

International Captain
We've had some great and also mediocre aussies playing for my county. Dean Jones was truly superb. Slater awful. Divenuto carried the team for 8 years was terrific. Jon moss unknown but did a solid enough job. Katich top class . Travis Birt horrible. Nathan rimmington dreadful. Chris Rogers superb. Khawaja helped win us the title in 2012. Michael Dighton dreadful
That is very much a mixed bag!! Travis Birt was supposed to a superstar in the making, didn't quite materialise. Di Venuto was just so consistent, did he have a European passport ? Wasn't one of his parents Italian or am I completely making that up ?

S.Kennedy

Thanks for saying that as we (Durham) have signed him for this season!!

S.Kennedy

Suspect his signing may prove to be a shrewd one
Twenty20 merchant by the looks of things, which is a good thing as Durham's efforts in that format are woeful. We got him on a dodgy British passport also so it leaves room for the genuine overseas, Tom Latham.

LukePom

Cricket Spectator
Twenty20 merchant by the looks of things, which is a good thing as Durham's efforts in that format are woeful. We got him on a dodgy British passport also so it leaves room for the genuine overseas, Tom Latham.
He was touted as excellent death bowler which may have been in Australia but not in England for us.

LukePom

Cricket Spectator
That is very much a mixed bag!! Travis Birt was supposed to a superstar in the making, didn't quite materialise. Di Venuto was just so consistent, did he have a European passport ? Wasn't one of his parents Italian or am I completely making that up ?
Travis Birt wasn't very professional tbh too many nights out if you get my drift. scored very heavily at Gloucestershire for some reason but not really much use as our home games were at Derby

Diva was superb especially in a bad bad team. He was our overseas. We were playing in division 2 released him as not good enough!!! and he went to Durham in division 1 and signed on a kolpak (Italian father) and was not surprisingly superb helping them win the league. A terrible mistake by Derbyshire. Treated appallingly by the club

S.Kennedy

Travis Birt wasn't very professional tbh too many nights out if you get my drift. scored very heavily at Gloucestershire for some reason but not really much use as our home games were at Derby

Diva was superb especially in a bad bad team. He was our overseas. We were playing in division 2 released him as not good enough!!! and he went to Durham in division 1 and signed on a kolpak (Italian father) and was not surprisingly superb helping them win the league. A terrible mistake by Derbyshire. Treated appallingly by the club
Is there some sort of Durham-Derbyshire thing here as we've had tons of the same Aussies, Dean Jones (in our very first season as a major), Di Venuto, Katich and now Rimmington.

We seem to pass Aussies between one-and-another!

England06

Cricket Spectator
Is there some sort of Durham-Derbyshire thing here as we've had tons of the same Aussies, Dean Jones (in our very first season as a major), Di Venuto, Katich and now Rimmington.

We seem to pass Aussies between one-and-another!
I love going to durham its always cold but the people are really really friendly

theegyptian

https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/595318/north-south-series-selections-confirmed

North v South squads.

North: S Mullaney (Notts, captain), S Hain (Warwickshire*), B Duckett (Northamptonshire), J Clarke (Worcestershire), K Jennings (Lancashire), B D'Oliveira (Worcestershire), A Davies (Lancashire, wk), P Coughlin (Notts), M Fisher (Yorkshire), S Mahmood (Lancashire), R Gleeson (Northamptonshire), Z Chappell (Leicestershire), M Parkinson (Lancashire).

South: S Northeast (Kent, captain), D Bell-Drummond (Kent*), N Gubbins (Middlesex), D Lawrence (Essex), D Rawlins (Sussex), L Dawson (Hampshire), J Simpson (Middlesex, wk), S Curran (Surrey), P Walter (Essex), D Bess (Somerset), T Helm (Middlesex), J Porter (Essex), G Garton (Sussex).

Gary Ballance declined his callup which I don't blame him for given he sat on the bench for the ashes before being dropped-. He isn't getting back in the England ODI squads and makes sense to cocentrate on Yorkshire preseason as captain.

Rawlins did some great stuff with the u19s but struggled last summer and this winter in grade cricket so kinda surprising he got the callup but he is very talented so no complaint from me.

Will try to think of some other players who are deserving of callups.

Woodster

International Captain
https://www.ecb.co.uk/news/595318/north-south-series-selections-confirmed

North v South squads.

North: S Mullaney (Notts, captain), S Hain (Warwickshire*), B Duckett (Northamptonshire), J Clarke (Worcestershire), K Jennings (Lancashire), B D'Oliveira (Worcestershire), A Davies (Lancashire, wk), P Coughlin (Notts), M Fisher (Yorkshire), S Mahmood (Lancashire), R Gleeson (Northamptonshire), Z Chappell (Leicestershire), M Parkinson (Lancashire).

South: S Northeast (Kent, captain), D Bell-Drummond (Kent*), N Gubbins (Middlesex), D Lawrence (Essex), D Rawlins (Sussex), L Dawson (Hampshire), J Simpson (Middlesex, wk), S Curran (Surrey), P Walter (Essex), D Bess (Somerset), T Helm (Middlesex), J Porter (Essex), G Garton (Sussex).

Gary Ballance declined his callup which I don't blame him for given he sat on the bench for the ashes before being dropped-. He isn't getting back in the England ODI squads and makes sense to cocentrate on Yorkshire preseason as captain.

Rawlins did some great stuff with the u19s but struggled last summer and this winter in grade cricket so kinda surprising he got the callup but he is very talented so no complaint from me.

Will try to think of some other players who are deserving of callups.
Like the look of a lot of the members of each side, in terms of giving them a bit more exposure. The South's bowling attack looks really talented and varied. Interesting that Paul Walter got a spot, he's on pace programme with the ECB this winter and there are raw materials with which to work with. He has pace, not entirely sure he has that consistently over the course of a full day in a four-day game (though I appreciate this is a one-day series), he's tall and bowls left-arm. He's also got some ability with the bat that he'll hopefully develop this season. There is plenty to work with, he's only 23 so I'm really hoping he develops both disciplines this season. When I've seen him live his radar hasn't quite been functioning as well as he'd have hoped.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Have yorkshire got any plans to do anything with their batting line up other than kw. Its looks so stale maybe they all had an off season but i expected a real shake up. Lyth lees leaning hodd just wouldnt get me too excited for the season

Woodster

International Captain
Have yorkshire got any plans to do anything with their batting line up other than kw. Its looks so stale maybe they all had an off season but i expected a real shake up. Lyth lees leaning hodd just wouldnt get me too excited for the season
Yes it doesn't look like there's going to be any huge makeover. Andrew Gale putting faith in them all to show that last season was an exception rather than the norm. Barring Ballance, of course, the rest will have been very disappointed with how they did. Adam Lyth has extended his contract so presumably they're planning for his form to pick up at the top of the order, along with Lees. Tom Kohler-Cadmore will be available presumably from the start of the season this year.

Be interesting to see if they get any games out of Root and Bairstow, depending on any IPL commitments and ECB decisions on their availability. They have Kane Williamson from about July I think ?

They do have the security of Bresnan and Rashid as the all-rounders in the mid-lower order, surely the batsmen can't all under-perform quite as much this season, surely?

S.Kennedy

I read an interview with Lees and he said he was really disappointed with last season, and that he is raring to go.

Woodster

International Captain
Seems Sam Northeast is going to cause a transfer scramble with news of his impending departure from Kent. The county are also due to announce Sam Billings at the new captain ? I find this quite bizarre as Billings played just six CC games last season! With IPL commitments and England appearances for the limited-over formats he makes a peculiar selection to lead a county. He is in for this year's IPL auction so whether he can pull out (or has the inclination to do so) or leave before the season starts, I don't know.

Where will Northeast go ? Notts must start as favourites.