• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2017

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The Championship and Plunket Shield are the only ones who seem to allow foreign players these days, and even with the latter it just concerns the odd player here and there, Durham reprobates usually haha. Although Borthwick, besides Wellington, did have a stint with a Sri Lankan side. I do not even feel there is any restrictions as such except that there is no dialogue and the English culture tends to veer towards (non-international) players going off to play Australian grade cricket during the off-season.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the overseas internationals actually committed to the counties on lengthy contracts and enriched the domestic game but there is a sort of mercenary element to it now with players simply signing for a few games in one season and tuning-up on green seamers ahead of an international tour here. If Surrey sign a Smith or Kohli for four matches directly ahead of those players' respective international tours here there is something seriously wrong.

I miss the days of the committed overseas pro who would stay years at a county, Malcolm Marshall and Lehmann being two prominent examples.

Woodster

International Captain
The Championship and Plunket Shield are the only ones who seem to allow foreign players these days, and even with the latter it just concerns the odd player here and there, Durham reprobates usually haha. Although Borthwick, besides Wellington, did have a stint with a Sri Lankan side. I do not even feel there is any restrictions as such except that there is no dialogue and the English culture tends to veer towards (non-international) players going off to play Australian grade cricket during the off-season.

I wouldn't mind it so much if the overseas internationals actually committed to the counties on lengthy contracts and enriched the domestic game but there is a sort of mercenary element to it now with players simply signing for a few games in one season and tuning-up on green seamers ahead of an international tour here. If Surrey sign a Smith or Kohli for four matches directly ahead of those players' respective international tours here there is something seriously wrong.

I miss the days of the committed overseas pro who would stay years at a county, Malcolm Marshall and Lehmann being two prominent examples.
Yes it seems the committed overseas pro are getting less and less prominent, almost extinct. Jeetan Patel at Warwickshire has obviously struck up a very good connection and has invariably been available all season in all formats and clearly cares for the club.

I don't think it's a ruling that needs to come in, or should come in, but the counties clearly need to think long and hard about the player they are recruiting on a short-term basis with the player's primary aim to help himself become accustomed to or get a feel for the conditions ahead of touring here later in the season. I have no issue with player's coming here to help develop themselves long-term but it can't be as a warm-up for the Test series, there are still enough overseas options available that should dissuade a club from ultimately helping out England's opposition that year.

Tom Flint

International Regular
I think it comes back to the difference in domestic cricket over here and in australia. There shield teams seem to be run to help the australian national team. Ours are run to provide england players but ultimately as a club with a fan base and do everything they can to achieve success themselves first.
So shield teams wouldnt play english players if there was a chance it could help us in the ashes...but our county teams wouldnt 100% play an aussie if it would help them win the championship

Woodster

International Captain
I think it comes back to the difference in domestic cricket over here and in australia. There shield teams seem to be run to help the australian national team. Ours are run to provide england players but ultimately as a club with a fan base and do everything they can to achieve success themselves first.
So shield teams wouldnt play english players if there was a chance it could help us in the ashes...but our county teams wouldnt 100% play an aussie if it would help them win the championship
I agree there are different priorities and I think the ECB recognises that clubs have big (all things considered) memberships and followings, hence there isn't any pressure, that I'm aware of, or certainly not enough, put on the counties to sign players from a nation that are not touring England. I mean, it really shouldn't need pointing out the clubs that by employing a particular overseas player they are actually assisting the touring country. Or is the standard of cricket a bigger picture here rather a win for England at all costs ?

Overseas players are hugely important for this country and long may that continue. Other countries don't adopt this policy, for many reasons, and I think their competition, as a result, could potentially be weaker for it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

Mason Crane played a match for NSW didn't he?

Firebreaker

Banned

Even Pak had allowed few Afghan players in last season

theegyptian

I don't think the counties care really aboout England. And tbh I don't blame much in this regard. If the comp allows one overseas player you get the best you can.

And tbh overseas players are going to be a net positive. Most of the Australian ones tend to instil good cultures in the clubs. Overseas players increases the standard of the comp as a whole.

It's tough for our guys to get game time in foreign competitions because the good ones are touring with England.

4 weeks in England for whoever isn't going to make whoever a good cricketer in English conditions. They'll be backing playing IPL the next year and touring with Australia the next or whatever.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think our counties need to have a serious think about the overseas player, and more specifically giving exposure to very possible Ashes candidates ahead of the next Ashes over here, and not just Aussies, players from any country that is due to tour these wonderful shores during the same summer. Fair enough if our players get game time in other countries, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Worked with you guys for Phil Hughes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Be tougher to get good overseas players now with the tougher rules to gain a work permit, wouldn't it? Don't you have to have played for your country within the past few years? The DiVenutos, early Mike Hussey, Martin Love, a few others couldn't have come over as early as they did in most cases, the valuable county pros are those just outside of the national outfit who are available regularly.

When you have to have been a national player in recent times, it makes sense that a lot of them have limited availability - they're probably playing for their country at some stage!

Woodster

International Captain
I don't think the counties care really aboout England. And tbh I don't blame much in this regard. If the comp allows one overseas player you get the best you can.

And tbh overseas players are going to be a net positive. Most of the Australian ones tend to instil good cultures in the clubs. Overseas players increases the standard of the comp as a whole.

It's tough for our guys to get game time in foreign competitions because the good ones are touring with England.

4 weeks in England for whoever isn't going to make whoever a good cricketer in English conditions. They'll be backing playing IPL the next year and touring with Australia the next or whatever.
Don't a lot of the counties basically survive on the annual handouts from the ECB ? That being the case, surely there has to be a consideration given to them in situations such as the one we're discussing ?

Overseas players are a big bonus to any club for so many reasons, just think it lacks a bit of respect to bite the hand that feeds you, to an extent.

Yes we have so many tours, full national side and Lions, along with all the camps we invite several young players to, but if the option was there to go and play some Sheffield Shield or SunfoiI Series I personally think it would be more beneficial to the player than attending some of the tours/camps.

4 weeks in England isn't going to mean they'll conquer English conditions, but it is perfect preparation to give yourself a head start for when your country starts the Test matches in the summer.

Woodster

International Captain
Be tougher to get good overseas players now with the tougher rules to gain a work permit, wouldn't it? Don't you have to have played for your country within the past few years? The DiVenutos, early Mike Hussey, Martin Love, a few others couldn't have come over as early as they did in most cases, the valuable county pros are those just outside of the national outfit who are available regularly.

When you have to have been a national player in recent times, it makes sense that a lot of them have limited availability - they're probably playing for their country at some stage!
Yes the pool of overseas players available has reduced, and again I don't think that's necessarily a good thing either, at all, for the examples you've mentioned there that ultimately became huge players in county cricket and helped in raising the standard of the game.

S.Kennedy

The most ruthless example of a player coming here to merely tune-up is Sangakarra. He arrived at Durham for about three games, beat England, averaging 85.50 in that two-test series (which was actually an excellent little series, famed for Anderson's 55 ball blockathon duck) then promptly buggered off - all in 2014. Definitely one of the stranger things I've seen at the Riverside, Sangakarra walking down from the pavilion. If you were in Durham's shoes, would you have said 'no'?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a bit ironic moaning about allowing other countries' Test players to play in the Championship when we barely allow our own to

Woodster

International Captain
It's a bit ironic moaning about allowing other countries' Test players to play in the Championship when we barely allow our own to
Don't know about that, Alastair Cook was instrumental in helping Essex win the title last season, during those early weeks of the season when ball is meant to dominate bat. I do take your point though, they probably should be more readily available to the counties.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Also how many english players would get into a shield side. Given there are only 6 and they arent used to thd conditions i would say very few outside of our first xi.
Whereas we have 20 counties so even australias fringe players would get a game over here

Woodster

International Captain
Also how many english players would get into a shield side. Given there are only 6 and they arent used to thd conditions i would say very few outside of our first xi.
Whereas we have 20 counties so even australias fringe players would get a game over here
Well there's only six overseas spots available in Australia, I'm sure six players from our fringe squad would be good enough, based purely on ability. The point initially was allowing players to use the competitions as a warm-up for the Test series so it would essentially be the Test players playing in the competition.

S.Kennedy

The Aussies wouldn't like that. The whole shield really just exists as a feeder system for the Australian national team. Their system is completely different to ours.

PS

There must have been a change though as during the '70s the Shield had a lot of overseas stars, Botham at Queensland, Sobers at S. Australia etc.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
The Aussies wouldn't like that. The whole shield really just exists as a feeder system for the Australian national team. Their system is completely different to ours.

PS

There must have been a change though as during the '70s the Shield had a lot of overseas stars, Botham at Queensland, Sobers at S. Australia etc.
That's the point, the Aussies, or pretty much any other country wouldn't do it, but we do, with open arms!