• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Compaq Cup 2009 in Sri Lanka

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Name me one batsman you have seen get on top of Vettori and really smack him for four after four. I haven't.
Sehwag did it, Ganguly did it. I can;t remeber whether Lara did it. We are very unfortunate not to have Sidhu or Ranatunga around as well. Would have taken Vettori to cleaners, Sidhu by going down the ground, Ranatunga with sweeps and late cuts.

But current cricket lacks such good players of spin. Sehwag, SRT, Samaraweera and Ponting are the last ones to survive although they use different techniques. And all of them will be gone in 3 years time. Suresh Raina is somewhere there, but not quite.

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
Sehwag did it, Ganguly did it. I can;t remeber whether Lara did it. We are very unfortunate not to have Sidhu or Ranatunga around as well. Would have taken Vettori to cleaners, Sidhu by going down the ground, Ranatunga with sweeps and late cuts.

But current cricket lacks such good players of spin. Sehwag, SRT, Samaraweera and Ponting are the last ones to survive although they use different techniques. And all of them will be gone in 3 years time. Suresh Raina is somewhere there, but not quite.
you think ponting has a good technique against spinners?.have seen seen his ugly lunge against off-spinners?.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand's batting was, frankly, deplorable. None of them looked like they even got a start, let alone convert it. They were tentative, rigid and far from threatening. While the Indians, or at least Nehra, bowled well in this match, the batting was unusually weak- we'd expect a team with such a long batting lineup to do better than this. When they're all out for 155 in the 47th over, with three wickets going to Yuvraj (bad umpiring notwithstanding), you know there's something wrong out there. The tail did well again, but that wasn't enough to cover for these top order failures.

Their bowling was reasonably good, although they had six proper bowling options unlike India. Karthik was a victim of an umpiring error, but looked scratchy out there. Dravid fared a lot better, even if the figures don't show it- he spent enough time to assemble a partnership with the 'stylish' Tendulkar. Raina did well low down, batted smartly and played the spinners/seam-ups very well, and did a lot better than in the T20 World Cup and around. Maybe those extra overs in hand and fewer runs to chase helped here. Dhoni wasn't spectacular, but got the job done. The real hero, for India, was Ashish Nehra, who bowled tight and made the Kiwis sweat.

I have to add- this hyperactive product placement is completely and totally needless. Have you noticed how much the commentators went ga-ga over Yamaha Fazer and Compaq? They went on to describe the wonderful features of the Fazer after mentioning it as the Stylish Player award and spoke like a marketing campaign. This makes it worse than the IPL- at least they stuck with "DLF Maximum" and "Citi Moment of Success"!

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
Apparently this win puts India at the top of the ICC ODI rankings which was a bit of a surprise to me. Hopefully they can finally break the ODI final vodoo that's been haunting India for so many years. When was the last time India won a one-off ODI final?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
New Zealand's batting was, frankly, deplorable. None of them looked like they even got a start, let alone convert it. They were tentative, rigid and far from threatening. While the Indians, or at least Nehra, bowled well in this match, the batting was unusually weak- we'd expect a team with such a long batting lineup to do better than this. When they're all out for 155 in the 47th over, with three wickets going to Yuvraj (bad umpiring notwithstanding), you know there's something wrong out there. The tail did well again, but that wasn't enough to cover for these top order failures.

Their bowling was reasonably good, although they had six proper bowling options unlike India. Karthik was a victim of an umpiring error, but looked scratchy out there. Dravid fared a lot better, even if the figures don't show it- he spent enough time to assemble a partnership with the 'stylish' Tendulkar. Raina did well low down, batted smartly and played the spinners/seam-ups very well, and did a lot better than in the T20 World Cup and around. Maybe those extra overs in hand and fewer runs to chase helped here. Dhoni wasn't spectacular, but got the job done. The real hero, for India, was Ashish Nehra, who bowled tight and made the Kiwis sweat.

I have to add- this hyperactive product placement is completely and totally needless. Have you noticed how much the commentators went ga-ga over Yamaha Fazer and Compaq? They went on to describe the wonderful features of the Fazer after mentioning it as the Stylish Player award and spoke like a marketing campaign. This makes it worse than the IPL- at least they stuck with "DLF Maximum" and "Citi Moment of Success"!
Dravid was mediocre at best. I have already mentioned why his innings was a weak one. He also scooped one where there was no fielder, almost got bowled off Bond once. Not an inning Dravid would be happy with.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

When?

Lostman

State Captain
Figures..
Dont get up in time to bet on the 1st game, but managed to do so for the 2nd game and watch NZ burn up my $.:wacko:

ret

International Debutant
Good to see Nehra pick up the MoM .... Btw, did the Kiwis test Raina with short pitched stuff?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah. Looked uncomfortable and made him hang back for subsequent deliveries. But he didn't get out to it and they're only allowed one an over anyway. He'll be fine in ODIs. You can get away with a weakness to bouncers in that format because of the ****ty one-per-over rule.

Besides, he looked fantastic otherwise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He was very cautious against the pace bowlers in the first half of his inning. I switched off later, so don't know how he fared later.

trapol

U19 12th Man
At the risk of sounding like a broken record....oh yeah i am a broken record

Styris anyone?????? his experience would be invaluable judging by the cricinfo article which states the batting looks leaderless and without direction

inbox24

International Debutant
Dunno why you guys went back to Nehra. He's more useless than Johnson. And also RP Singh? why oh why you could do so much better.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Dunno why you guys went back to Nehra. He's more useless than Johnson. And also RP Singh? why oh why you could do so much better.
  1. Zaheer is injured
  2. Irfan was woefully out of form
  3. Sreesanth hasn't played active cricket
  4. The other options are Praveen Kumar and Abhishek Nayar, not quite the optimal choices as strike bowlers.
  5. Nehra just took 100 wickets, has a lot of experience and won the match yesterday.
They can't do much here.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is a flat pitch. A better batting side has got the better of the same bowlers who did well yesterday. The lax fielding hasn't helped them at all- it's surprising that hitting the woodwork is impossible for Indian fielders.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant in early, fifth over. The way runs are flowing, we won't (hopefully) see Yuvraj Singh come on, except for an over or two, much later.

EDIT: An edge induced by Ishant goes through vacant slips for four. We can't blame the bowler for that.

Last edited: